Considering a Peep Site for my Marlin 336

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JCK

Single-Sixer
Williams offers target knobs for the Sourdough.
I've got several Marlins and Winchester l/a's with receiver sights.
I consider them the way to go!
Marlin and Winchester offer hoods with cut-outs for light for fiber optics. I've got several. I cut them myself. They were/are standard since 2003 or so.

There are 2 ramp front sight lengths. Some are 1.250" (IIRC). others are 1". Williams will swap if you haven't molested the ramp. My 2003 1895GG w/o ports has the shorter ramp. But I installed my FO blade before they offered the combo.
I too prefer the .125" rear aperture for my CF rifles. On my M39D, I have a 1/2" 0.50" target a aperture. Works GREAT with the small 3/32" FO front..450" height 3/8" dove tail blade. I punched a 3/16" hole in the sling that allows me to carry a spare .095" aperture for dark cloudy days.
It's a real squirrel gettr'! More fun to shoot than an AR !

Attachments

• C1B4E534-16EC-4ACF-9600-2A978B0CDD30.jpeg
    C1B4E534-16EC-4ACF-9600-2A978B0CDD30.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 19CBBD8C-1431-417A-B5B8-DC51BC7766B2.jpeg
    19CBBD8C-1431-417A-B5B8-DC51BC7766B2.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 72

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Looks like I need to update this thread.

I got the Williams WGRS 336 sights and installed them. I really like how things turned out, but once I got it sighted in, I was shooting about 3"high at 100 yards with the front sight that came in the set and the rear sight backed all the way down and to the rear. So, I bought a taller front sight blade from Williams and also a smaller aperature, just to try it because I was putting in the order.

I found I don't like the smaller aperature and have yet to swap out the front sight with the taller blade. Will need to do that up at camp so I can re-zero it.

Current setup did get a CAT-Scan:
IMG_1718_resized.JPG

It's Bandit-Approved
IMG_1720_resized.JPG

Aqualung

JCK

Single-Sixer
Beautiful cat!
The Tuxedo breed IMO is the smartest breed of house cat.
My family had one that we finally had to put down at 17yrs old.
She "house broke" three generations of Labrador retrievers and taught them how to ask to go out, and ask to come in the house.
Weighed every bit of 5lbs. She was tiny, but had a huge personality!
Death personified to moles, voles, and shrews! She would proudly display her kills on the door mat.
If you ate Ice cream, she'd jump in your lap and gently touch a paw to your arm, "asking" to lick the bowl...
I too approve the sight installation.

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
I have a .30-30 Marlin 336 that was gifted to me a couple years ago and am putting it together to be a handy 2nd rifle for deer hunting around camp.

I have it dialed in now with my own loads with the stock sights. However, I hunted with it last year and was a little concerned at dusk-ish that I couldn't really see the notch in the rear sight too well (at all, really) if I had to take a shot while in the woods. I realized that if I needed to take a shot at that time, I'd have been better served using my scoped .44 Super Blackhawk.

I really don't want to scope or red-dot this rifle, because I really like the handiness of it. If I want a scoped rifle, I'll just carry my Savage 99, which has a 3x-9x mounted.

So, I was thinking of the peep sight options.
  • Ranger Point Precision - PROS: I really like this sight, as it keeps the top of the receiver pretty slick. I wouldn't have to change out the front sight, as I like the hood over the front sight and don't think I'd be able to keep it if I replace the front sight with a taller one. CONS: Price...I'm just a bit reluctant to put out $115 for the sights, as I want to do a couple more upgrades to it that aren't cheap...but those are also RPP (mid-size loop lever and loading gate), so it'd be a package deal.
  • Skinner (Express) - PRO: Same upsides as the RPP above, but no "wings" to protect the sight. CONS: Still price...same as RPP. If am going to spend the $115, I'll go with the RPP. Also would probably have to change out front sight.
  • Williams (WGRS and 5D) - PROS: Cost...I can get this sight with a fiber-optic front sight (see CONS) for a fraction of the cost of the RPP and Skinner options ($45). These are really good sights with lots of fine adjustment potential. CONS: Need to change front sight. Not as low-profile as the RPP & Skinner, but willing to live with the "bulge". The 5D is a bit more obtrusive since it takes up real estate on the side, too.
Now, about that front sight...I really should change it out anyhow for a taller sight, as my handloads for my .30-30 [33.0gn BL-C(2) behind 160gn FTX] hit really high at 50yds in relation to "normal", factory 150gn options, making me have to have the rear sight adjusted all the way down at the bottom of the ramp...so I think I'm already to the point where I need a taller front sight anyway. So, along with adding height, to increase visibility, I should replace it with a fiber-optic. But the hood will not let the FO sight gather as much light and will negate/limit the benefit.

So, maybe I should just get used to not having the hood on the sight.

I've also seen another couple options which will keep the top of the receiver clean:
  • Fiber-Optic front and rear sights to give a 3-dot effect (thought the RPP has this option, too)
  • A rear sight blade that has the peep in it, though it's not back at the eye (example here)

Anyhow, I'm throwing it out there to let me know what you think, what you've tried, and/or what you use now.

Thanks in advance,

Aqualung
I have 2 Marlins with the Skinner sights and I like them. Cast a bit more but they are quality.

Aperture size really comes down to the individual and how/where the rifle is used. Without going into detail on size, smaller is better for target use, bigger for hunting. Even shoot it without any inserted, as some do like a ghost ring. As a teenager I had a Williams on a Savage 99. I was active in target shooting and liked the little aperture to hunt deer and elk. But took it out once and shouldered the rifle. I never put it back on the peep sight. It was a ghost ring sight before the term was used. Making a bigger and faster sight picture when hunting was way better than the tiny hole at least for me.

I grew up with a Lyman on my Dad's 39A and have put a peep on anything I could since. A Marlin 1894 .357, and even a Savage 24. I like sights with "click" adjustments (Lyman, Redfield, etc.) over "slide" adjustments (Williams, etc.). If you stumble across a steel receiver sight you really have something, but I've never had an issue with my two aluminum Lymans.
One thing that I think most people aren't aware of is the Merit adjustable aperture peep.

Well, after reading this thread, I just had to take my 94 in 3030 IMP with the Williams peep out for a shoot. At 50yds I used a bullseye target with the black circle being 7.5 inches across. My old eyes could not find the front sight in the targets black circle. I removed the aperture and was able to see the front sight clearly enough to shoot. Any hunting with that rifle will be without the aperture.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I have lever guns with peeps and original buckhorns. I like the Lyman/Redfield/Williams style. For hunting I take out the peep and use the hole they screw into. I also have 2 lever guns with tang sites which are fine for target use...I spent a lot on the Tang sites but I prefer the the peep mounted on the side...
I agree the tang sites are great for shooting paper (plus look cool), but also prefer a receiver mounted peep sight for hunting.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
My eyes have deteriorated to where I can no longer get a good sight picture with my stock buckhorn 336C so I'm following this thread with interest. Was leaning towards the Skinner about a year ago but not sure now. Some good info here.

KIR

Sparks, NV
May not pertain as I do not have that much experience in all of the above, but for what it is worth...I dislike semi-buckhorns and put a square notch on my 1894 Sporting Rifle .30 WCF. Just personal preference as the semi-left to much too view. With a square notch I could center target better. My Winchester mfg. in 1908 has been modified a lot, so not a collector's item, but still good to shoot.
On my Ruger Gunsite Scout, it came with OEM ghost ring, but the aperture was too small and I couldn't see anything through it, so I got an XS rail with a ghost ring that had a larger aperture. It worked just fine.
Hope you find what works best for you.
Good shootin' to ya and STAY SAFE!

Last edited:

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Skinner sights work well. I have Lyman, Redfield and Williams also on scoped rifles. Simply sight them in and keep them handy in case you have a scope failure.

Old thread but continually relevant...

I have an assortment of receiver sights from different manufacturers for my 336's and 1894's. Receiver sights are my preference, and increasingly so now that I can't see the buckhorns.

I have yet to install one and have the front sight height be correct. So I removed the new sight on every occasion, promising myself to buy an assortment of front sights, although I've never done so. I do have some replacement front Fire Sights, and maybe they'd be the correct height, but I don't think I could live with a fiber optic front sight and peep sight.

:oops:

Last edited:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
My eyes have deteriorated to where I can no longer get a good sight picture with my stock buckhorn 336C so I'm following this thread with interest. Was leaning towards the Skinner about a year ago but not sure now. Some good info here.

I've heard, but haven't confirmed that you might be able to call Williams and they'll set you up with the rear sight/front sight (in relation to height) combo that you might want. I've also heard that they might have exchanged the sight that came in the kit for the one that's the right height...I didn't bother, as it didn't cost that much at all.

Old thread but continually relevant...

I have an assortment of receiver sights from different manufacturers for my 336's and 1894's. Receiver sights are my preference, and increasingly so now that I can't see the buckhorns.

I have yet to install one and have the front sight height be correct. So I removed the new sight on every occasion, promising myself to buy an assortment of front sights, although I've never done so. I do have some replacement front Fire Sights, and maybe they'd be the correct height, but I don't think I could live with a fiber optic front sight and peep sight.

:oops:

I think you should give a fiber-optic front sight a try...I really like mine. It's very visible.

Aqualung

Wayno, I am in the same thought about fiber-optic front sights. I haven't looked at all that's on the market. But some I have looked at in the past are far too large for me.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Pretty rifle. I would have not let go till it was mine. I recently picked up a couple older Marlins...one pre safety 336 in 35 Rem...beautiful wood unfired but no box. The other is a 336 in rare 356 Win...It may be fired not sure.Sold the 35 Rem and got the 356 for free afterward. Even got ammo for both. 3boxes each

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I have a 336RC from 1951 and I installed a steel Redfield peep and removed the hood and stored it. No way I'm putting a scope on any lever action, much less and un-drilled waffle top. Don't go looking for one around every corner any longer though. Hard to find and VERY expensive.
Image.jpg