Consecutive s/n guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Here is a statement from another forum I visit and one of the answers that was given:

(I did a little editing to make it easier to read and understand :D )

Question:
I don't see to many consecutive pair guns but I did get a pair of Ruger Gators with consecutive s/n's. Do you guys think they are collectible enough to sell together? Thanks!

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/155414/21106/ruger-1022-22lr-gator-country-exclusive

One reply:
My opinion...

Consecutively numbered guns are dumb.

Unless you have a Colt 1911 serial number 1 and serial number 2 in a display box, it doesn't mean anything to own # 147875 and # 147876.

Now, that being said...some customers do like the idea of consecutively numbered guns for them and their family or whatever, but it's never enough of a "like" that they will pay a significant premium for it.

But again, if a customer is willing to pay for it, I'm willing to sell

Both the question and reply were written by gun dealers.

street

Hunter
Back in the 80s I went to a gun show and one of the dealers from NC was set up. He had a T-514 Tapered Ear, 5 1/4 in. bl. MK-I, setting on the table. At the time they were selling for $450 to $550 each. He had $155 on the price tag. I was so overwhelmed that I could not speak very loud. I said. "I will take it." The dealer thought I ask what will you take for it. His reply was. "I will sell it to you for $150."

The point that I am trying to make is A DEALER DOESN'T ALWAYS KNOW WHAT HE TALKING ABOUT. An older Ruger collector, who just happens to have written a couple of books on Rugers stated that for consecutive guns he thinks that for the 2 guns the value should be at least 2 1/2 times the value for one gun, and maybe 3 times one gun.

I agree street! Consecutives are rare & hard to put together in the Ruger World unless your are RR & Moe they are under every rock & tree limb in Bowling Green. I am still amazed with the 4 each in a row 357 10" flat tops! J/S

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
+2
I can remember when you would add the price of a third gun or more to a consecutive pair of any OM .22, .357 or .44 revolvers.

There are exceptions to the rule, but it is more common today to see more Ruger NM consecutive guns than the OM guns.
New Model Collectors are just plain luckier I guess..... :D :D :wink:
JMO
Terry

I think they ( the dealers) may have been referring to when you could get Rugers ,from Davidsons and for a slight "premium" (and it was NOT much,like $15) to order consecutive serial numbered guns, I know we ordered for customers and my dealer now had done the same thing,,,,,so that being said, now what would the value be?????????
finding them "consecutive" in old models and such is a crap shoot or you have to dif around and PAY the big bucks to others to put them together,,,,,,much more fun in "truly" finding them , than buying them on the internet or at auction...............for enough $$$$$$ one can buy or get ANYTHING...................

eveled

Hawkeye
It seems to be more of a Ruger phenomenon. I don't see the interest in s/n's on the other gun sights that I do here. Did any other maker offer subscriptions? I also have seen consecutive guns that had to be split up to sell. Most people don't even pay attention to the s/n, except to transfer the gun. I have a s&w model 60 whose s/n is my dad's birthday, and did not even notice for the first ten years I owned it.

Like anything else, they are worth what somebody will pay. I bought consecutive SR1911's for my sons, and did not have to pay extra.

radicalrod

Hunter
SteveRuger said:
I agree street! Consecutives are rare & hard to put together in the Ruger World unless your are RR & Moe they are under every rock & tree limb in Bowling Green. I am still amazed with the 4 each in a row 357 10" flat tops! J/S

Steve MOE and ME would love to take credit for the 4 in a row BUT Jussbad put them together....

I am happy to be able to store them for the time being....

I love to hunt down consecutive numbers for some reason.....

I think I have close to 30 or so sets of consecutive numbered guns.....

Sam could make that 31 Contender could ad #32 MW722 could be #33 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I am just LUCKY....or maybe UNLUCKY as I have to buy at least 2 of everything :roll: :roll: :roll:

I haven't got my first COLT CONSECUTIVE SET......YET....Thank goodness...RR

SATCOM

Blackhawk
RR,

I know you have enough consecutive numbered Rugers that you even sold me a pair (1976 RSTs).

I happened to notice that Mr. Dougan lists a pair of chrome plated SC6s, 502168 & 502169.

1. Do you have that pair?

2. What would be the value of that pair?

Thanks.

SATCOM

h bone

Bearcat
I personally own several sets of consecutive numbered old model Rugers, and was glad to be in a position to acquire them. I think numbers (serial numbers) are an intriguing part of collecting to true collectors. It could be consec's, single digit, double digit and even three digit guns. Or the serial number could be a straight or contain all the same numbers or any other type of unusual numbers that put them in a rare category all their own. As far as the comment stated above that other gun collectors don't go in too much for the numbers game I take exception to that statement. I have seen consecutive numbered Colt's, Smith's and other guns with distinctive numbers in collections. I myself own a pair of Remington Rand 1911A1s .45 Cal. made in 1944, SNs 1515264 and 1515265 in mint condition. IMO all very dedicated and true collectors will go after unique serial numbered items, whether it's automobiles, knives, paper money or anything else that contains a serial number.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
radicalrod said:
I have 506385 & 506386.....I don't even remember what I paid for them....RR

I started to post "at least one pair" but that is just amazing as 385/386 sure enough are listed!

Always interesting following your posts.

Thanks,

SATCOM

Anyone who isn't impressed by a consecutive set gathered in individually from the thousands of guns out there simply hasn't given it much thought . . . or has a pretty high threshold for wonderment.

I remain amazed by our members who accumulate these sets, one at a time.

.......................thats why its called "a numbers game" 8) :roll: :wink:

I could NOT imagine or wonder the total of consecutive guns I have had, seen or handled over these past 60 plus years of "guns", and yes, I passed on serial number #45 Smith & Wesson 1917 .45 cal revolver at $900 at the Summit County gun show a couple of years back AND I passed on Colt revolving rifle serial number 3, yes #3, back in the mid 60's, at the Brecksville,Oh Vo. Ed. School, the FOP gun show for $1400, and it goes on, and on.....you gotta have the want or the need, I only get tickled if my wife Laura gets something that floats her boat.......... :)
(like when Bill Hall brought her the matching serial number RST-4 # 200006, for her "D" MKI T678 at the OGCA for the whopping sum of $175 !!) now THAT is friendship :wink:

Over the years I have been able to put a few together that are rare in my way of thinking:
Ruger Light Weight Tri Colors, 200082,200083,& 200084.
Ruger Super Blackhawks with White Boxes numbered to the gun# 7580 & 7581.
Ruger New Model Vaquero 45, 4-5/8" Barrel High Polish Stainless (KBNV-44) Standard Grip frame NIB #D057-19099 & New Model Vaquero 44, Bisley 5-1/2" barrel High Polished Stainless Steel NIB #D057-19100.
I have a few more but, it was a lot of work to put the together. I just smile when I get a few minutes to wipe them down. :) :)
J/S