Consecutive Numbers Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Yep; you can get any of 'em consecutive. And if you and a buddy are both buying the same rifle, you two could have consecutively numbered rifles, ordering them together...

Don't know of any barrel lenght or finish consecutives, but they're prob'ly out there. Consecutively serial numbered guns are MOSTLY a cowboy gun thing, for the two-gun-rig cowboy, but then getting into collecting... It could be anything. Consecutive Redhawks, consecutive MK II's, consecutive 1894 Marlins... And then there's three-in-a-row consecutives, four-in-a-row consecutives...

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
I have several Ruger No.1 rifles that are consecutively numbered that are different calibers and different configurations. Think it would be much more common in these rifles than it would be in handguns.

flatgate

Hawkeye
128516925.jpg

Triple Consecutive New Bearcat Convertibles. The first two were shipped together.

Here's another triple only they are OM Lightweight Single-Sixes. I got to "contribute" to this set as part of the deal of acquiring the "third" Bearcat pictured above.. :roll:

116763418.jpg

flatgate

Redstick

Single-Sixer
HAWKEYE#28":2sr1xq9o said:
In fact, the factory purposely tried to NOT ship consecutively numbered handguns, so we have heard for decades. :roll: :shock: :cry:

One reason I've heard is that it would be too easy to make a mistake when recording serial numbers if they were all in order. According to my local gun shop, the BATFE will not allow a batch to be shipped out with consecutively running serial numbers. Not sure where they draw the line, but out of a batch of say 100 guns, there will be a couple pairs and then four-in-a-row. All 100 just picked off the shelf at random and the consecutives are there only by chance and not in order.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
hittman":nxoqndrj said:
Has anyone seen consecutively numbered guns that were different barrel lengths or finish? Is that even possible?

RF member 41 Nut has the coolest consec pair I've heard of, brass frame .41 Mag Blackhawks in both barrel lengths. BKH41B and BKH42B with consec numbers.

In the old DA's (-Six series) it should at least be possible to find consec pairs in different models and/or barrel lengths and/or calibers. I'm not sure if there are any blue/stainless consec pairs - Ruger may have left a gap when numbering blue & stainless.

Coogs

Maximum
The hardest ones to put together are definetly the old models. It seems to me that if you have an "in" with a bigger distributor it wasn't any problem to get a consec pair if the dist recieved them. I've be fortunate with some conec's I have Maximums #600-00009, 600-00010 and 600-00011 as well as 600-00019 and 600-00020 as well as set of RCA Duplicate (D) serial #'d Single sixes, serial D260-19849 and D260-19850, one is a NR-4, 4 5/8, the other a NR-9, 9 1/2. Now that combo is a little harder to do! Coogs.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey I seem to have a few consecutively numbered guns and you are correct most are revolvers......could be because more people are into them......I do have a pair of CC 10/22's and a pair of 44 autos (264 and 265) that are consecutively numbered....also have a set of RST4's that have the 200th year rollmark.....none of mine are different models....now if you are talking about same numbered guns....see ya RR.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Redstick":xtod0eom said:
HAWKEYE#28":xtod0eom said:
In fact, the factory purposely tried to NOT ship consecutively numbered handguns, so we have heard for decades. :roll: :shock: :cry:

One reason I've heard is that it would be too easy to make a mistake when recording serial numbers if they were all in order. According to my local gun shop, the BATFE will not allow a batch to be shipped out with consecutively running serial numbers. Not sure where they draw the line, but out of a batch of say 100 guns, there will be a couple pairs and then four-in-a-row. All 100 just picked off the shelf at random and the consecutives are there only by chance and not in order.

Not sure I agree with what the ATF would like. Numbers are numbers and whatever the number to be recorded, it has to be correct. Some of the issue lies in the manner in which Ruger built firearms, frame/SN-wise. Build was random and numbers did not flow from one to one thousand, etc. A rack of frames was put into position and very little attention was given to the SN run/range, so long as the frame was correct for the build specs.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
it always amazes me........FIRST that folks are able to find consecutive numbered guns (triplets astound me)........but SECONDLY, to find them in that kind of shape.

I don't even think I can imagine the effort and horse trading it takes to put these consecutive sets together.

~c.r.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Aww, gee, I hope the Jack Booted Thugs don't show up wanting my "shipped as a consec. pair" New Bearcat Convertibles.

Now, one unusual circumstance surrounds these guns. Upon being offered the pair I was reluctant, worrying about the financial ramifications. I received a "swift kick to my posterior" by my loving Wife followed by a firmly and loudly hollered "buy them".

:D

flatgate

Kanook

Buckeye
I had been looking at getting the charger since it first came out. Due to money (lack of) the wife and I agreed that we would get two if we could find consecutive.

After looking and looking for sometime we found a dealer with one that had been mishandled (full of scratches and dings and dents) and I figured I could talk him down on the asking price.

When I pointed out all the flaws in the firearm and the fact that I wanted two, but really wanted consec # he said he couldn't come down in price and pulled another from under the table.

The odds are slim but it was the next number to the nice one. They didn't know they had them till I pointed it out, and now they wanted more because of it. What made it suck even more they were our birth year numbers.

After some argueing I left with them for even less than the orignal deal $500 OTD

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I look for serial numbers a lot and I just had the experience of finding a consecutive serial number to a 45 Colt Super Blackhawk Hunter but I had just sold and shipped the gun when I found the consecutive. I shared the location of the consecutive with the new owner but I don't think he was planning to buy it.

Kind of funny when you are looking at these guns over and over again how you can find them.

41 nut

Bearcat
Old model revolvers are the ones you see in consecutive numbers the most often. This is probably because there are a lot more collectors interested in the old models. I have several consecutive numbered old models, including a run of 5 consecutivly numbered 41mags and a couple FT;s. Back about 15 years or so when my two sons were young I ordered a pair of 10-22's for them for Christmas from a distributor I buy a lot from. I was very surprised when the two 10-22's came in as a consecutivly numbered pair. So each son got a consecutive 10-22 for Christmas that year with orders never to sell it except to his brother or me.

Latest posts