Confusion about Ruger MK IV magazines - Need some help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsrfun1

Bearcat
I bought a used Ruger MK IV Target (NOT the 22/45) online, advertised as coming with three magazines. When I went to my FFL tonight to pick it up, I was surprised to find what I "thought" were three MK II magazines. (They sure look like the mags I use in my MK II.)

They inserted into the gun ok, but there seemed to be some space between the bottom of the magwell and the baseplate; almost like it needed a different baseplate to cover the space. I think that's because the heel mag release is no longer there, so there is a space of sorts between the baseplate and the bottom of the frame?

I know that the MK IV 22/45 mags have an elongated baseplate, and I guess I wrongly assumed that the regular MK IV would also.

So ... I am trying to figure out how to determine if these mags are really MK IV mags, vs. MK II.

Based on this description, should I look for a notch about 2/3 of the way up the right side of the mag body? Is that what delineates a MK IV mag from a MK II mag?

I just want to be sure they gave me the right mags for the gun.

Thanks

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
MKII mags do not have a notch, nor do they have a slot for the mag release button. The base pad doesn't have anything to do with the release or locking magazines in a MKIV.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Ignoring the base pad you want the far right
Mag_ID_2.jpg
Mag_ID_3a.jpg

Dan in MI,

If your second picture represents the two magazines on the right in your first picture, then a solid +1 for the one on the right of the second picture. However I'm a little confused by the magazine on the left. AFAIK the only magazine that had a protrusion for the magazine catch and no notch was for the 22/45 (AKA 22/45 MKII). This one does not have a 22/45 base plate. What am I missing?

HSG

yes, folks often change the base plate from a Mark II,III or IV with the dog leg ones from the 22/45......the notches, come and go, and they work when the "other" components are in the grip frame..............or just the European style "bottom" catch of the old ones RST, MK I and MK II.......now to get them to hold 9 rounds?? or 10 rounds......;):cool::rolleyes: