Confused about gun show ammo purchase

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
I hustled over to a table with what appeared to be factory new ammo at decent prices and picked up two boxes of Winchester Supreme 30-06 with 150 grain Partition Gold bullets. Priced at $25 per box. No, I did not inspect the ammo before leaving the show. Today I see the bullet appears to be a pointed lead slug. I see what appears to be something of a star-like nose piece, very small, just at the tip. I can't tell for sure what the ammo should look like from the Winchester site as they don't sell it anymore.

Do you think this ammo is factory fresh? Why would a partition gold bullet be matte silver in color?

mattsbox99

Hunter
Yes that is an old design, Winchester still has the CT offerings but only in Accubond and Ballistic Tips. Its still a Partition bullet, the finest hunting bullet made. $25/box is a steal compared to buying them now at $40-$60 a box.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
These are actually a little tougher bullet than a partition. The rear portion of the bullet has a steel cup surrounding the lead core then the copper jacket. A standard partition are just a lead core and copper jacket.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
mike7mm08":28zxaws4 said:
These are actually a little tougher bullet than a partition. The rear portion of the bullet has a steel cup surrounding the lead core then the copper jacket. A standard partition are just a lead core and copper jacket.
I thought that bullet was called a Failsafe?????

Faildafe is a solid gilding metal nose with lead rear core enclosed in a steel cup. Partition Gold is a tougher bullet than a regular Partition and is listed with different specs in their loading manual.

Latest posts