Concealed Carry Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DonD

Single-Sixer
My CHL (TX) CCW guns are a Ruger SR9C and an SP101 .357. I've worked too hard keeping in shape to want to wear clothes two or three sizes too large. TX has had "printing" of your firearm as a misdemeanor, that recently changed but I was unaware of it until today.

So, I went to Bass Pro Shops today to try a couple guns. I had considered several, Kel Tec P11, Beretta Nano, Kahr, S&W Shield, LC9 etc. On paper, several seemed to be significantly smaller. When I held the Nano and the LC9 over my SR9C on the gun counter, the differences weren't too large. The Nano, supposedly 0.4" shorter from the bottom of the grip to the top of the slide was almost identical in dimensions to the SR9C but felt very short of hand room. The SR9C is far more roomy grip wise.

Nano has only Glock like safeties, no manual or loaded chamber indicator. It also had a long, creepy trigger that made my SR9C trigger feel like a high end tuned 1911 by comparison.

Adding points to the SR9C is that it has no limitations on +P ammo although of course I do most of my shooting with cheap ball ammo. The Nano and LC9 recommend limiting +P usage.

Well, TX eliminated the obsession with printing and now an inadvertent exposure of the CHL gun is no issue. Only problem is if you're an idiot and intentionally display the gun in a non threat situation.

So, the SR9C can fit in the pockets of some of my shorts, good for carry when we walk at night. Can run into some animals I'd prefer not to, unlikely but possible. Don

Jim Puke

Hunter
I think the biggest difference in the Nano and LC9 as compared to the SR9c, is the thickness. I can pocket either of these with no problem...the SR9c, not so much...but it does offer more rounds. I have moved to the point that only pocket carry, so thin is important to me.

Arky

Single-Sixer
Glad to know Texas did away with their "Print" law. I am in Arkansas but we are in Texarkana Texas a lot.
I went small for summer carry and the LC9 did not fit my hand. I have a Kahr CW for warm weather IWB carry and it covers well with a slightly loose T-shirt worn out. I do use a wife beater under shirt with it to keep it off my skin. I have an OWB for the Kahr and my SP 101 3in that gets cool weather use. I like to wear a vest so I can take put my coat on and off as needed.

Petie

Bearcat
While I love my SR9c, to me it is too heavy when loaded for pocket carry. Suppose it would be better with a tighter fitting pocket but then you would struggle to get it out. Oh and it would take a LARGE pocket! And then to me it would slop about too much when walking. Tried out an LC9 thinking it would be nice for pocket carry as it is very slim width wise but in the type pants I wear it just was too large height wise to get out cleanly. Really liked that gun. Ended up with an LCP that is perfect for carry. Would prefer the 9mm but this will do for now.

Triton

Bearcat
I continue to be amazed, surprised, and apparently should be happy I live where I live.
Yes, I do carry for some events in my life, but really, do all you guys live in a high crime neighborhood? Maybe you should move, think of all the money you would save not buying holsters and a gun for every season.
Seriously, I know I will get flamed for that remark, but I live in a average small town with an average amount of cowards that run around holding up gas stations, and innocent women at the bus stops. But I don't feel like I need to pack iron like the old west.
There are certain parts of town, that after dark, you don't take your family there, unless your looking for drugs, ha ha.
Here in Ohio we have, some say, some pretty relaxed gun laws, I have carried a gun for the past 15 years, 8 of those years with a CCL. Police knew I carried, but never bothered me other than to ask if I had it on me.
The bottom line, IMHO, some of the guys writing on these forums watch to much TV. The rest of the 1%, are way to macho for me.
I carry my EDC to and from the shooting range, to and from my LGS, but never to McDonalds or the grocery store.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Triton said:
I continue to be amazed, surprised, and apparently should be happy I live where I live.
Yes, I do carry for some events in my life, but really, do all you guys live in a high crime neighborhood? Maybe you should move, think of all the money you would save not buying holsters and a gun for every season.
Seriously, I know I will get flamed for that remark, but I live in a average small town with an average amount of cowards that run around holding up gas stations, and innocent women at the bus stops. But I don't feel like I need to pack iron like the old west.
There are certain parts of town, that after dark, you don't take your family there, unless your looking for drugs, ha ha.
Here in Ohio we have, some say, some pretty relaxed gun laws, I have carried a gun for the past 15 years, 8 of those years with a CCL. Police knew I carried, but never bothered me other than to ask if I had it on me.
The bottom line, IMHO, some of the guys writing on these forums watch to much TV. The rest of the 1%, are way to macho for me.
I carry my EDC to and from the shooting range, to and from my LGS, but never to McDonalds or the grocery store.

Yeah, I carry every day. If I knew when and if I would need it...then I would only carry then, but my crystal ball is not that good.
I have been carrying since 1980, mostly uneventful, but on 2 occasions I have had robbery attempts made against me, once it was 2 guys and the other time was 1 guy...the presence of the gun made a difference. I live in a town of 12,000 in the rural south...so it is not a high crime area.

I am glad that you feel no compulsion to carry yours, but even one ATTEMPTED robbery will change your opinion on that.

Arky

Single-Sixer
Triton said:

I have to admit that I have been influenced by TV. I watch the NEWS!!
And I am not young and indestructible any more.

As a jail nurse for 4.5 years and a deputy sheriff for 11 years, I have had many and long conversations with the criminal element of society. You bet I carry. I am glad your threat assessment is so complete that you don't feel the need to carry. Only intelligent people are paranoid. :)
gramps

DonD

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
As a jail nurse for 4.5 years and a deputy sheriff for 11 years, I have had many and long conversations with the criminal element of society. You bet I carry. I am glad your threat assessment is so complete that you don't feel the need to carry. Only intelligent people are paranoid. :)
gramps

Agreed. I live in a very pleasant and safe (as much as anything can be) gated community. I think the odds of an issue are very small, more likely 4 legged here than 2 legged. I have a license and should carry more, it keeps you in the mindset to respond in the unlikely event of needing it.

In a way it's like flood insurance, even if not highly probable, woe is you if you get your house flooded out and don't have insurance. CCW is your life insurance out and about. Don

Triton

Bearcat
DonD said:
gramps said:
gramps

Agreed. I live in a very pleasant and safe (as much as anything can be) gated community. I think the odds of an issue are very small, more likely 4 legged here than 2 legged. I have a license and should carry more, it keeps you in the mindset to respond in the unlikely event of needing it.

In a way it's like flood insurance, even if not highly probable, woe is you if you get your house flooded out and don't have insurance. CCW is your life insurance out
and about. Don

I like this comment regarding life insurance, and one other about if I have an encounter I will change my mindset.
All good thoughts expressed here in response to my post, I will continue to adjust my carry times as the need arises. I have good carry guns and holsters, so my only variable is if I feel the need where I'm going. I do carry when I'm traveling, as long as its a state that my license is good in.
I'm too old for hand to hand combat anymore, so the gun does give some sense of an upper hand in an encounter that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Y'all have given me food for thought and reassessment.
Thanks to all :roll:

DonD

Single-Sixer
Triton said:
DonD said:
gramps said:
gramps

In a way it's like flood insurance, even if not highly probable, woe is you if you get your house flooded out and don't have insurance. CCW is your life insurance out
and about. Don

I like this comment regarding life insurance, and one other about if I have an encounter I will change my mindset.
All good thoughts expressed here in response to my post, I will continue to adjust my carry times as the need arises. I have good carry guns and holsters, so my only variable is if I feel the need where I'm going. I do carry when I'm traveling, as long as its a state that my license is good in.
I'm too old for hand to hand combat anymore, so the gun does give some sense of an upper hand in an encounter that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Y'all have given me food for thought and reassessment.
Thanks to all :roll:

A major reason I haven't carried as much as I think I should is that the three places we visit most often are in my view places I don't want to carry. Walmart and the local, large grocery chain store. Too many people, if you thought you needed to use a gun, far too many innocent bystanders. Significant likelihood of wounding or killing an uninvolved individual.

Third place is our gym which has a clearly posted, state sign prohibiting concealed carry inside. Don

Arky

Single-Sixer
Walmart is crowded but the parking lot is the danger. Had a shooting in ours a few months ago. A gun is too easy to carry if the situation warrants do not pull it.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
If you want to carry then do so. If you don't then don't. I choose to carry everywhere that I legally can do so. Why? I'm a gun enthusiast, and it just feels right to have one with me. Also, I firmly believe its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I'm not a firepower fanatic, my guns are small and easy to carry. I do practice with them alot and believe that shot placement is key to anything you might use a gun for, whether targets, hunting, or personal defense.

DonD

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
If you want to carry then do so. If you don't then don't. I choose to carry everywhere that I legally can do so. Why? I'm a gun enthusiast, and it just feels right to have one with me. Also, I firmly believe its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I'm not a firepower fanatic, my guns are small and easy to carry. I do practice with them alot and believe that shot placement is key to anything you might use a gun for, whether targets, hunting, or personal defense.

Agree completely, if someone on this forum has gotten the impression that I'm not really "into" firearms and 2nd Amendment rights, they've seriously misjudged me. I too am a gun enthusiast to the core. As much as I enjoy shooting, I also get enjoyment simply from admiring well designed and effective firearms. Don :mrgreen:

Triton

Bearcat
I have enjoyed the comments on this thread, all very good, honest beliefs. I didn't mean to imply I didn't agree with carry options.
As I mentioned previously, the little town I live in has a few cowards that go around earning their living by ruining other people's hard work.
But all that said, in my particular case, I am 70 years old, partially disabled, and mainly travel to the VA so they can continue to try keeping me alive. In between those visits, I do whatever I feel like doing, I earned that attitude, lol. So I make the trip to the shooting range as many times as my ammo supply will allow. No guns allowed at the VA, otherwise, there is always one in my truck, and sometimes on me, depending on the weather, and what I am wearing.
My EDC is a Sig C3 1911, my range gun is soon to be a SR9 I just got, along with scheduled time with the C3.
Thanks to all for your time and advise.

6gun

Hunter
DonD said:
DonD said:
gramps said:
gramps

and about. Don

A major reason I haven't carried as much as I think I should is that the three places we visit most often are in my view places I don't want to carry. Walmart and the local, large grocery chain store. Too many people, if you thought you needed to use a gun, far too many innocent bystanders. Significant likelihood of wounding or killing an uninvolved individual.

Third place is our gym which has a clearly posted, state sign prohibiting concealed carry inside. Don

Your third place, why would you patronize a clearly anti gun business that does not respect your second ammendment rights nor see's a need for you to be able to protect yourself? think no one has even been held up and robbed in a locker room or parking lot? gun free zones and business's attract criminals, easy targets for them.

DonD

Single-Sixer
6gun said:
Your third place, why would you patronize a clearly anti gun business that does not respect your second ammendment rights nor see's a need for you to be able to protect yourself? think no one has even been held up and robbed in a locker room or parking lot? gun free zones and business's attract criminals, easy targets for them.

Very simple answer, I need and want to keep in shape and my wife likes to swim. That gym is the only place we know of that has an indoor, year around access pool. Life isn't perfect. Don

Newbs

Bearcat
IMO you should be able to go where you want in this country and feel safe. It's unfortunate that it now takes most of us carrying a weapon to feel safe. It's individual based on your feelings, where you live, and a ton of other criteria. If you feel safe going into Walmart without a gun, go for it. If it takes you carrying the gun 24/7 to feel safe, go for it. The bottom line is that you need to be comfortable with the weapon and carrying it for the purpose of your safety. I know I have a progressive disease that is now to the point where a punch to the chin, or even to the body will/can kill me. I cc a hell of a lot more now than I did in the past.

DonD

Single-Sixer
Newbs said:
IMO you should be able to go where you want in this country and feel safe. It's unfortunate that it now takes most of us carrying a weapon to feel safe. It's individual based on your feelings, where you live, and a ton of other criteria. If you feel safe going into Walmart without a gun, go for it. If it takes you carrying the gun 24/7 to feel safe, go for it. The bottom line is that you need to be comfortable with the weapon and carrying it for the purpose of your safety. I know I have a progressive disease that is now to the point where a punch to the chin, or even to the body will/can kill me. I cc a hell of a lot more now than I did in the past.

Excellent post. In your case, I believe you could very well justify a lower threshold of using force. Don

eveled

Hawkeye
Triton, Thank you for your service to our country, and welcome to the forum. Ed