component changes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
has anyone ever seen a report on changeing bullets.

I mean if you take a load developed for, lets say 44 mag, 240 gr jacketed hornady, and then change to 240 gr speer, 240 gr sierra, 240 magtech, 240 barnes ect ( same primer, powder, powder charge, same mfg cases same loading dies, same day). what if any changes would there be in pressure or velocity? this load would not be a gun killer or a max oucher load.

If such study exists, I would like to see it. Oh ya, only jacketed bullets, no cast or swaged.

edit: not trying to hijack jimbo357's post. Mine is to a study where all variables are reduded to bullet mfgs

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The question is simple but the answer, as I have found out, is not. Even if someone tested and recorded the data for this one load with lots of different bullets it probably would not translate to another barrel or be very useful.

What I got out of that whole discussion is just what you have probably already heard. Get as many sources of data as you can, work-up a load, and if you change a component drop back and work-up the load again. ...and to add, if you have some other loads to compare it to, all the better. ...and maybe XTPs need a little more charge, but don't take that one to the bank. :D

...Jimbo

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I guess slowrider wants you to hijack jimbo's thread :wink:. The short answer is no. It just isn't practical to do and with all the variables involved I don't know that it would even be useful.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I really don't care. I love a god Hijacking.
I even have a little sign I use. :D :D

OrgDetour.jpg

...Jimbo

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
two bit okie":12qy7pvt said:
has anyone ever seen a report on changeing bullets.

I mean if you take a load developed for, lets say 44 mag, 240 gr jacketed hornady, and then change to 240 gr speer, 240 gr sierra, 240 magtech, 240 barnes ect ( same primer, powder, powder charge, same mfg cases same loading dies, same day). what if any changes would there be in pressure or velocity? this load would not be a gun killer or a max oucher load.

You know, I used to do all my loads like this. Just get load data for a similar bullet and primer. I never had a problem. I'm a bit more care these days. But sometimes you have to make an edjucated guess. If you do, start on the light side of things and work your way up.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Speer and Barnes (or any monolithic bullet) are the ones I would be most leery of substituting.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Let's say I have fifteen different bullets weighing 124g and miking .355"-ish.
I can guarantee if I load them in the otherwise-same case/powder/OAL/primer/crimp load they will perform differently.

I am not guessing.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Silent Sam":3pupeytw said:
Speer and Barnes (or any monolithic bullet) are the ones I would be most leery of substituting.

Barnes is a pain to figure out, but Hornady somehow figured this out in rifle bullets, maybe they'll take it to their handgun bullets as well...
http://www.hornady.com/store/GMX/

I've used the GMX in 30-06 just as they say, using their conventional bullet data, and it performed just as expected (and very well I might add :D ).

(not to say Barnes aren't good, just a pain to work up loads for).

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Differences in weight, diameter and bearing surface all affect pressure to some degree. So does case tension, capacity, ambient temp, primer manufacturer and powder lot for that matter. And don't forget chamber/barrel dimensions! A lot of variables huh?!? However, if one takes the starting load for a particular weight/diameter from any trusted source, you'll be safe IMHO. Manuals are usually pretty conservative in that regard....Works for me.. :wink:

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Bucks Owin":2sjawssc said:
However, if one takes the starting load for a particular weight/diameter from any trusted source, you'll be safe IMHO. Manuals are usually pretty conservative in that regard....Works for me.. :wink:

For folks that may or may not have been following the other thread, I wanted to point out that for one cartridge/bullet weight/powder combination, one manual had a starting load a full 2 grains higher than the max load for another manual's recipe and 1.3gr higher than a third, all with jacketed bullets and all pretty established manuals. :shock: So I would advise to at least take a look at as many manuals as you've got first...

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Ruber":1lgpcqbs said:
Bucks Owin":1lgpcqbs said:
However, if one takes the starting load for a particular weight/diameter from any trusted source, you'll be safe IMHO. Manuals are usually pretty conservative in that regard....Works for me.. :wink:

For folks that may or may not have been following the other thread, I wanted to point out that for one cartridge/bullet weight/powder combination, one manual had a starting load a full 2 grains higher than the max load for another manual's recipe and 1.3gr higher than a third, all with jacketed bullets and all pretty established manuals. :shock: So I would advise to at least take a look at as many manuals as you've got first...
Sure, can't hurt. But I doubt that even the highest "starting load" is gonna be dangerous. Some data is extremely conservative and some data is held to a lower pressure for accuracy concerns, eg Lyman. No Linebaugh data there! Also a lead bullet will achieve same velocity as jacketed with a couple grains less powder usually....But, as you say, it sure don't hurt to have all the info you can get to evaluate... :wink: