Comparing Ruger SR 1911 to other major brands

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GHEN

Bearcat
Hi All,

1st post so let me start off by saying how much I appreciate the knowledge that is present in this forum.

I recently came across a Ruger SR 1911 and had the opportunity to handle it quite extensively but I did not get to shoot it.

Does anyone with experience with the Ruger 1911s against the another more established 1911 builders (Kimber, Springfield, Colt, etc.).

Overall the Ruger seems like a bargain but would like to hear from some experienced users.

Thanks,

GHEN

hittman

Staff member
This was discussed a LOT when Ruger first jumped into the 1911 market about 10 years ago.

I don't think anybody has had a "bad" Ruger 1911 regardless of size or caliber.

IIRC, the gun writers and consumers all agreed the Ruger 1911 is complete success.

My favorite is the Commander Lightweight 9mm.

Welcome to the forum. (y)

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I have circa 2011 Ruger SR1911 45ACP full size, got it
right after they came out.

Slide to Frame fit is very nice and tight. Later ones
not so.

This Pistol is more accurate then I can shoot it. I
have a Friend that is a 1911 Master Shooter prove
it to me. He was even impressed.

My SR1911 just flat out shoots. It has worked with
every ammo and all my reloads, with no problems.

I like the Ruger 1911's. I would not hesitate buying
them. No reason for me to buy any other. If someone
asks me about 1911's I steer them towards Ruger only.

Last edited:

G2

Hunter
I have 3 and they are one of the better built Ruger firearms, more attention to detail, fit & finish. IIRC the barrel and bushing are machined at the same time and separated to achieve close tolerance.

I have shot thousands of rounds and no problems, not saying haven't had a stove pipe or ftf, but I really of the opinion it was a ammo problem.

I will speak only for .45's and 9mm 1911's. Colt, Kimber, Ruger, Springfield, RIA... They've all operated and shot wonderfully.

The fit and finish on the SR1911 is quite nice.

Now, speaking of the 10mm, I did have issues. The pistol was repaired, and eventually replaced by Ruger, but not without a big hassle. Subsequent 1911-10mm's have been fine.

Last edited:

andyk

Bearcat
I have a full size ruger in .45 ($700) a Colt competition in .45 ($1000), an RIA in 10mm($600) and an RIA in 9mm ($500). They are all reliable and no big differences in accuracy. RIAs have the best trigger followed by Ruger. The colt is a little heavier pull but still a 1911 trigger meaning very good compared to most stock guns. So for the price, i would recommend the ruger

Mus408

Hunter
I've had my Ruger 1911 Cmd for quite a few years and it runs fine. Only issue was with the flawed front sight that would and did break off after 600 rounds.
They fixed that and all has been well. Wish they made it a double stack like my Rock Island BBR 3.10 which runs great also!

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
My full size 1911 is from 2013. It's been shot a lot since then without any issues. Mine had the corrosion develop under the grips, typical of guns during that time.

Ruger offered for me to send it in, but beings it's the most accurate pistol I own, I didn't want to risk it being replaced with one that didn't shoot. Took care of the rust myself.

It is still supremely accurate even though it has loosened up a bit from when it was new. The only thing, and these are personal wishes, was that it was bobtailed and checkered on the front strap.

loaded round

Hunter
I have two Ruger 1911A1's, a Govt. Model and a Cmdr. Model, both in 45 ACP, purchased when they both were offered by Ruger. I am a 1911 guy and own two Colt Gold Cup pistols and a Night Hawk Custom 1911A1. Naturally the Rugers don't compare to either the Colt or the Nighthawk, but my Rugers show quality and are excellent shooters in their own. Anyone looking for a quality 1911 style pistol can't go wrong with any model SR1911 Ruger pistol. Go for it!

Last edited:

AkRay

Single-Sixer
My full size 1911 is from 2013. It's been shot a lot since then without any issues. Mine had the corrosion develop under the grips, typical of guns during that time.

Ruger offered for me to send it in, but beings it's the most accurate pistol I own, I didn't want to risk it being replaced with one that didn't shoot. Took care of the rust myself.

It is still supremely accurate even though it has loosened up a bit from when it was new. The only thing, and these are personal wishes, was that it was bobtailed and checkered on the front strap.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Very interesting. I had been thinking RIA, but these Ruger stainless beauties are all American, all the time. And that integral safety plunger tube thrown in for good measure.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
I bought one when they were first offered. I changed rear sight to an adjustable one. I forget the brand name. Used a small precision file to fit. And it wears the finger grooved American Pachmayr. Stopped the slipping in hand from recoil.

eveled

Hawkeye
They are all good. My advice? Buy the one you like with the least amount of tinkering.

For example if you don't like the two tone look of the Ruger. Don't buy one planning on changing all the black parts. Buy one that comes the way you want it.

Viking208

Bearcat
Hi All,

1st post so let me start off by saying how much I appreciate the knowledge that is present in this forum.

I recently came across a Ruger SR 1911 and had the opportunity to handle it quite extensively but I did not get to shoot it.

Does anyone with experience with the Ruger 1911s against the another more established 1911 builders (Kimber, Springfield, Colt, etc.).

Overall the Ruger seems like a bargain but would like to hear from some experienced users.

Thanks,

GHEN
I have some different 1911s and my Ruger 1911 is a great gun … always goes bang