Compact stocks & handmade inserts for 4" GP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Erich

Single-Sixer
Hi gents,

I decided that I'd carry my $299 4" GP more if it had compact stocks - they conceal better. Alas, as we all know, Ruger doesn't have the inserts in stock anymore - having gone to those hideous and oversized Hogues. Midway and Brownell's both have the neoprene stock grips available, but no inserts.

Well, fortunately our friend 41 Magnum from the other forum has been using his artistic talents on our behalf. Most of you know of the nice work he does on these inserts. I found a pair of hickory heart inserts that match a cane I sometimes use, and just fell in love.

Jim is a great guy to deal with - I sent him a PM and had a response right away. I put a check in the mail and he sent me an email the moment it arrived, telling me that the inserts would be right in the mail. Two days later, they were across the country and in my mailbox (thanks USPS!), and now they're installed on my gun.

These custom inserts fit much more perfectly than the on-the-small-side factory inserts. The curvature is perfect, the wood and grain were selected with an artist's eye, and the craftsmanship on the inserts is as precise as you could find. My wife exclaimed at how pretty they made the gun - and she's not a gun person, so that's sort of saying something.

25sep90010001yyy.jpg

25sep90020001yyy.jpg

25sep90040001yyy.jpg

25sep90050001yyy.jpg

25sep90060001yyy.jpg

I just wanted to brag on these - they really have made this gun "sizzle" and have given me a lot of pride of ownership in the thing - and to thank 41 Magnum for being willing to make such work available. :)

pyth0n

Buckeye
Looks good! I did the same with mine. Looks exactly like yours, only different. My inserts from 41 mag are the stag inserts. The smaller grips feel so much better.

I need to check with 41 again to see whats new. I have a 4" blue fix sighted that needs new inserts.

IMG_0005.jpg

Erich

Single-Sixer
Ooo, I bet those stags look nice! :) I have some wonderful stag stocks from Sack (Bill) Peterson on my Bearcat - well, they'll be back on my Bearcat, that is, when Mr. Bowen sends me the gun back! :lol:

MLknife19sep80001yyy.jpg

I really like the way stag looks with blued steel.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nice !!!! I've never been a big fan of light colored grips, but those changed my mind !!! Excellent workmanship.

REV

canucksvt

Bearcat
Erich, those inserts look great. Do you have a link to the other forum so that I may contact 41 Magnum to see about getting a set for myself? Thanks for any information you can provide me with.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Very Nice! I guess I've got to get some light wood for my next set. All I have now is walnut, so that's what I use, but the lighter wood really sets off that gun! SO much nicer than plastic!!

Here are the latest ones I made - for my SP101.

SP25.jpg

I normallly make the right panel just a bit thicker than stock; sort of a 'palm swell' effect, which feels right to my hand. I also make them with a 'hidden screw' process so nothing shows on the right panel.

bub

Single-Sixer
41 Magnum makes some GREAT LOOKING panels. Here's the set I bought from him for my SP101.

sp-101-7.jpg

They are brown stained Birch laminate. I think they look very nice on my SP and the workmanship is first rate. When I get a little $$$, I'm thinking about asking him to do the same thing to some panels for the full-sized GP100 stocks so my SP and GP will match.

Bub

LTB45

Bearcat
How does a 4" GP handle with the smaller grips?

I think that it looks a little unbalanced, but if it still points and shoots good I may consider doing that to mine! The stock grips are much larger than needed.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Erich:

Nice looking grips. I just bought a used GP100 tonight for a few dollars more than yours but still pretty cheap and am looking forward to getting it in a few days. I am wondering what you are using for a holster for conceal carry of that big GP100 as I was thinking of the same thing. Any advice would be welcome.

I REALLY like those stag grips on the Bearcat. I have several Bearcats and like them a lot, and would love some stags on my SS one.

Louie

PS: Would like to hear about that little forged knife pictured with the Bearcat if you don't mind............. I like your toys!!!!

pyth0n

Buckeye
LTB45":304z5x9x said:
How does a 4" GP handle with the smaller grips?

I think that it looks a little unbalanced, but if it still points and shoots good I may consider doing that to mine! The stock grips are much larger than needed.

I have both the 4" and 3". The 3" felt better & after first swaping to experiment, I decided to change the 4" permanantly.The smaller grips feel much more comfortable and since they grive me a better grip, the gun feels more controlable.

Latest posts