Colt reintroduces the 6 shot "Cobra" revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I see this as a good sign. It's nice to see the grand old name, Colt, on a revolver again :)

http://rangehot.com/new-colt-cobra-38-special-revolver

The description is more like a Detective Special. Unless the names are going back to the snake series. Cobra was Aluminum frame, now it's steel. Works for me. I wish they would put decent grips on it. With the rubber grips you can't even tell if it will take the wood grips or if they changed it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Left handed twist? Does this mean the cylinder turns counter-clock-wise also. What makes it a Colt then, just the cylinder release? :D

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
Sweet.
Thought I was only going to get the GP100 .44 Spl. this year.
Better bring in some more business, 'cuz I want this one.

DPris

Buckeye
Not a re-introduction of the original Cobra, just recycling the model name.
Different action, different gun.

The twist refers to the RIFLING, not the cylinder rotation.
Denis

Snake45

Hawkeye
Put a 3" barrel on it, and fix the shape of the trigger guard (the original shape was MUCH better looking) and you can put me down for at least one. At full MSRP--I won't even haggle.

DGW1949

Hunter
TinkerDave said:
Colt cylinders rotate in opposite direction to S&W. A good thing to remember. TD

AND a Colt cylinder release pulls instead of pushes. Leastways, that how it used to work. Might be different with the "new 'n improved" version. :roll: .

DGW

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The absence of a six shot .38 that doesnt weigh a ton has been a yawning gap in the Ruger lineup since the Speed Six was discontinued. I quit waiting for them to rectify this longstanding error and ended up with a Rossi 461: a darn good gun for the money. The new Cobra looks sweet, I may just have to get one.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I suspect this is a bit of a test by Colt. If this gun is successful, I'm thinking a new Python will follow before too long.

Snake45

Hawkeye
ditto1958 said:
I suspect this is a bit of a test by Colt. If this gun is successful, I'm thinking a new Python will follow before too long.
I think a new King Cobra or something of the kind based on the MkV frame would be more likely.

DPris

Buckeye
This is intended to be the introductory model of a new line of DA revolvers as Colt re-enters that market segment.

If it does well, others will follow.
If not, not.

There will never be a resurrection of the original Python by Colt & Colt would be foolish to name a new DA with a modern internal design "Python".
Denis

Cholo said:
I see this as a good sign. It's nice to see the grand old name, Colt, on a revolver again :)

http://rangehot.com/new-colt-cobra-38-special-revolver

I keep looking at this. Lord knows I don't need any more small revolvers, but I'd sure like to see the Colt name prolific again. I might rationalize helping them out.

WAYNO.

ceadermtnboy

Blackhawk
Wayno , that's funny you make me want to help out poor old Colt Mfg. , that settles it ! I have to do my part and get one.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
I helped out poor old Colt quite a bit by buying a Gold Cup National Match 1911. I do like the look of this revolver so I may have a weak moment if I handle one at my local enabler (LGS).

Cordite

Tallbald

Buckeye
What about the old v-spring Colt DA revolvers had if I remember correctly? How or is that now changed? Was the v-spring a weak point? Don.

DPris

Buckeye
Different action.
Still powered by a V spring, but not the old complicated hand-fitted design.

It wasn't the V spring that was the problem in the older design, it was other factors inherent to it.
Denis

FergusonTO35 said:
The absence of a six shot .38 that doesnt weigh a ton has been a yawning gap in the Ruger lineup since the Speed Six was discontinued. I quit waiting for them to rectify this longstanding error and ended up with a Rossi 461: a darn good gun for the money. The new Cobra looks sweet, I may just have to get one.

I solved the light weight issue by purchasing a nice Smith Model 12 Airweight. Very easy to carry and 6 rounds to boot! :)

Dave

Snake45

Hawkeye
Heliman said:
I solved the light weight issue by purchasing a nice Smith Model 12 Airweight. Very easy to carry and 6 rounds to boot! :)

Dave
I'd love to find one of those. Better yet, they should start making them again with round butt and the 3" heavy barrel. I'd be all over that.