Colt Python?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I know a lot of Ruger enthusiasts have other brand revolvers. My question is, does anyone here have a Colt Python that actually shoots it. I've seen quite a number of Pythons at the indoor range I shoot at but have never seen a person actually fire one. They are displayed in their box or case to be looked at, admired and commented on, but no touching. Then they are lovingly put back in the shooters bag. Just curious :)

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Had a 6-inch blued Colt Python for several years.

It was never fired.

The only Colts that ever get fired are SAA and 1911s that were fired extensively before they were purchased by the current owner.

Hi I have owned two one 2 1/2 inch one 3 inch I have shot the 2 1/2 a lot and can say it was the most accurite revolver I ever owned the 3 inch gun is just worth to much money to use so it rests in the safe they are great guns but value drops fast when they start to show a cylinder line

GRAMPS

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I had an 8" for years and I shot it plenty, enough that I had to have it re-timed twice. Was my most accurate handgun. But, I finally got tired of the to-long trigger reach in DA for my small hands and sold it. Still 3 times my money back after all the years of use.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
My first .357 was a Python which did spend quite some time in the deserts with me and I still use. It is a great gun, the 6" blued. In the field it got replaced by a stainless 4" GP100 as any 6" blued DA revolver would be regardless of brand (at least for me), but I've got no safe queens.

I've spent a lot of time getting that GP100 to feel and shoot like my Python, and when I think I've almost got it, the Python sets me back in my place.

Still, I think the prices for the Pythons in my area are outrageous, at 1/4 the cost, I'd get another GP first.

bub

Single-Sixer
My wife had one that she inherited from her father. 6" Royal Blue. BEAUTIFUL GUN!!! Unfortunately, we had to sell it about a year ago to pay bills.

I shot it a few times with my .38 reloads. SUPER ACCURATE GUN!!!!! The trigger pulled like it was riding on well-greased ball bearings- not a hitch in it from start to finish and SUPER SMOOOOOOTH! I shot that Python the best of ANY gun I've ever shot and deeply regretted having to sell it. Here's a couple blurry (cell phone) pic of a group I shot DA, 6 rds at 25 yds, with it.

6933ace54201.jpg

fac968038db0.jpg

Before I die, I WILL have another Python! And this one WILL NOT get away from me!

Bub

I had one of the limited edition 6" SS guns and I shot it like crazy. My son fell in love iwth it and was ticked when he found I traded it straight across for a new Bisley Hunter in 41 Mag! Yup, one of my LEAST brilliant gun moves of all time but I wanted the 41 BH. :?

Probably the only gun swap I regret to this day.

BearBio

Buckeye
I have 2 4" with stags from Executioner. EPS floral Threepersons (I popped the bucks, since these are my BBQ guns).

Love them! They are going to my niece and her husband as a pair, eventually (Hopefully not soon!)

But, they get shot at the range only, along with the SAA. In the field, I pack Ruger Vaqueros and I use Ubertis for SASS.

m657

Buckeye
Got a 4" nickle model the past 30 years. Shoots great. I've carried it as a belt gun while hunting. Still looks mint. Never any problem, other than riff-raff trying to talk me out of it. And yes....it IS sssmmmmoooooooooothhhhhhhhhhh.........

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I have a 4" minus the original grips that I paid 499.00 for about 5 years ago. It has a little bit of holster wear and was possibly carried by a policeman by the looks of it. Since it is not pristine I have no worries about shooting and enjoying it and do so regularly.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Beautiful gun and group Bub! Now, who WOULDN'T want to shoot a Python?!? :wink: And BTW, "I feel yore pain", I let a tack driving OM .44 FT get away :cry: (But before I die, I'll have another one AND a Python! :wink:)

ltbarber

Bearcat
I have a 6-inch blue model. I have shot it for years. I only take it out when I want to shoot perfectly. It is more accurate than I am. It is a cadillac,while I mostly shoot chevy-type guns. It is,in my opinion,the most beautiful,the most accurate,revolver I have ever owned. A true peice of functional art. Every time I open the pistol cabinet,I am in awe. Memories of a time gone by. :D

DGNY

Bearcat
In late 90s I bought a used mint 6" Nickel Python with box- around 1980 vintage. Close as I can tell it was/is my most accurate centerfire handgun with a hearty load of 2400 and a 140gr Sierra. Not over 1"at 25 yards, rested and just under 2" at 50 yards, rested.

After reading how delicate they are, I have retired it.

As an aside, my next most accurate centerfire is SS Redhawk .41 Mag 5.5", tho the trigger on it can't compare to the Python.

Regards,

Dyson

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have two, a 6" and a 4". I haven't shot the 6" in maybe 20 years but last time I shot it, with wadcutters it was the most accurate handgun I've ever shot--6 shots in what looked like a 3-shot cloverleaf.

The 4" has been shot more. Don't shoot it that much due to recent ammo costs but I did put 50 rounds through it last summer. I've never thought it was especially more accurate than a typical good S&W .357.

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
I have a 4" blue Python I bought new in 1975 for $125. At the time I thought I was being overcharged! :D I've shot it quite a lot over the years. Very very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. It's no longer NIB but still in 90% or better condition. I think it's about the finest DA revolver ever made. Gerry

Snake45

Hawkeye
gerryb158":fw5xwsm6 said:
I have a 4" blue Python I bought new in 1975 for $125. At the time I thought I was being overcharged! :D
That was a deal even then. I bought both mine in 1976, paid $225 for the 4" used with some visible wear, $275 for the 6" like new with box and all papers. At the time I was working for a sporting goods store that carried S&Ws new and I got the employee discount. I bought a brand new Smith 19 2.5" for about $120 and a K-22 with all the target goodies for about the same.

PyTroop.jpg

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
Snake, that's a nice set of pistols. The bottom one looks very familier! You're probably right about the pricing. I didn't argue about the $125. We better knock this off or we'll be sent over to the Colt Forum! Best wishes. Gerry