Colt python price?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
525
Location
North Florida
Ok, need some colt experts. In a tiny little shop I saw a stainless
python, with some kind of weird carved grips. He must be selling them for somebody because he also has another colt trooper with the same weird carved grips.
The python looks and feels nice, but there are a couple of surface imperfections on it.
The price though caught my eye, $659. I hadn't seen one in the 600's before.
If a python is... say 85% good, what is the price?
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
Anywhere in the sixes is a great price Gator ... for ANY Python ... in any reasonable condition ... stainless imperfections can probably be repaired easily (depending on severity of course), and you can buy a set of original grips to return it to stock, which would yield you a gun that's worth $900-1000 with no box or paperwork.

If the rest of it is stock, it's a good buy, meaning it hasn't been cut down, has the original sights front and back, and the timing is right. Even if the timing is off, or there are mechanical imperfections (unlikely) ... Colt will bring it back up to specs for about $80. If you're looking for one, you won't do any better.

If I saw one at that price I would buy it on the spot ...

Are you sure it's stainless and not satin nickel, for awhile the satin nickel was called 'ColtGuard'. That would matter for the repairability aspect.

Why would you buy a Colt Python when you could have a GP100 ???

Moving upscale are we ????

Next thing you'll be asking about Sigs ... LOL :D.

Here's a few of mine ...

The top one is stainless, the middle one is Satin Nickel (my first gun) or 'ColtGuard' (note the 'gold' hue), and obviously the bottom one is Royal Blue. To find out what grips are standard, call Colt and give them the serial number ... they should be able to tell you what the gun was shipped with. Although the top two gun's grips look similar, they are actually quite different in feel and thickness. All three grips are stock and correct to each gun.

Insuranceclaim007.jpg


REV
 

Snake45

Hawkeye
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
6,979
Location
+4020
Agreed. Good price for almost any Python in any condition these days. Grab it!
 

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
525
Location
North Florida
It's definitely stainless.It looks stock, Nothing cut down, it's either 3 or 4 inches, I really know nothing about them. I did look at it, the trigger was super smooth, I just noticed the surface imperfections on the side. One side had these tiny little indentations. 3 or 4 of them. Maybe it was dings.
It wasn't scratches,, it was different looking, I'm going to get a picture of it.
I really don't have the money for it,,, but if it's a steal or something
I might buy it for resale.
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
gatorhugger":paa2kkv7 said:
the trigger was super smooth

I might buy it for resale.

Well, yeah, the trigger is super smooth ... it's a Python, it wasn't an accident, or a coincidence, or that particular gun. That's how Pythons are !! Not to mention spectacular accuracy, but I know that doesn't matter to you ! :D

I don't know if I'd recommend buying it for resale, though ... you may be able to turn it for a quick hundred or so, but Colt's don't bring top dollar unless they're bone stock.

I'd buy it and keep it, take my time finding the correct grips, and end up owning a Python. If you bought it and shot it, I can pretty much guarantee you won't sell it. If you need the money sell something else, like some of your Ruger semi's ... LOL :D.

Take it easy !

REV
 
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
8,112
Location
Ohio , U.S.A.
yessir, if 'stainless' not that hard to make it "right again" , we have to do it for folks ALL the time...that is about the 'cheapst ' price we have heard about in years for any shop...I'd get it ,for trade bait or for re-sale, a GOOD investemnt ,better than ANY bank I know of........ :roll:
 

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
112
revhigh":123jlvok said:
Anywhere in the sixes is a great price Gator ... for ANY Python ... in any reasonable condition ... stainless imperfections can probably be repaired easily (depending on severity of course), and you can buy a set of original grips to return it to stock, which would yield you a gun that's worth $900-1000 with no box or paperwork.

If the rest of it is stock, it's a good buy, meaning it hasn't been cut down, has the original sights front and back, and the timing is right. Even if the timing is off, or there are mechanical imperfections (unlikely) ... Colt will bring it back up to specs for about $80. If you're looking for one, you won't do any better.

If I saw one at that price I would buy it on the spot ...

Are you sure it's stainless and not satin nickel, for awhile the satin nickel was called 'ColtGuard'. That would matter for the repairability aspect.

Why would you buy a Colt Python when you could have a GP100 ???

Moving upscale are we ????

Next thing you'll be asking about Sigs ... LOL :D.

Here's a few of mine ...

The top one is stainless, the middle one is Satin Nickel (my first gun) or 'ColtGuard' (note the 'gold' hue), and obviously the bottom one is Royal Blue. To find out what grips are standard, call Colt and give them the serial number ... they should be able to tell you what the gun was shipped with. Although the top two gun's grips look similar, they are actually quite different in feel and thickness. All three grips are stock and correct to each gun.

Insuranceclaim007.jpg


REV


I can't remember the last time I saw a Python for that price, in any condition..., jump on it quick!!

Rev-
3 Pythons? NICE!!!

Now..., I know you can not shoot all 3 at one time, so, if you would like, I will hold one for you until you are ready to shoot again:)

Seriously, those are nice.
I sold most of my guns years ago to buy a house..., I love my home (paid for), but do miss all the guns too...
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
Thanks Wayne, I really love the Pythons. The middle one was the first gun I ever bought about 30 years ago. I think I paid $520 OTD at the time. The finest double action revolver made, IMO.

REV
 

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
525
Location
North Florida
Went back and looked at it, still there. kinda shocked.
Ok, both the trooper in the case and this python has the exact same carved wooden grips. Obviously someone had a collection.
I was a bit harsh on the pythons condition. The barrel is perfect, the cylinder perfect, the whole right side perfect.
Not a scratch in the stainless.
On the left side underneath the cylinder latch is about 3-4 minor scratches, not quite light scratches but not quite dings.
They may be able to be buffed out professionally.

The timing and lockup is tight. No end shake at all. The gun is dirty.

However the negatives are the dings mentioned, the trigger has a hesistation in double action, it gets really stiff for a moment.
From very light like a python to a stiff part and then it gets light again.
Maybe just dirt.
However, my main concern is it doesn't say Python anywhere on the gun.
There are no markings at all on it, besides, "colt manfactu.. Hartford.."
It has a full lenght lug and vent rib, and LOOKS like a python, but did
they make ones that were not marked at all?
The price is $659.
I am oh so tempted if it's a real python, I just don't know that much about them.
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
I've NEVER seen a Python that didn't say Python 357 on it, but that doesn't mean that there weren't some. I guess it's possible that someone messed with a King Cobra to make it LOOK like a Python, but I would doubt that. Can you post some pics ?

REV
 

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
525
Location
North Florida
revhigh":tlpl4z50 said:
I've NEVER seen a Python that didn't say Python 357 on it, but that doesn't mean that there weren't some. I guess it's possible that someone messed with a King Cobra to make it LOOK like a Python, but I would doubt that. Can you post some pics ?

REV

Rev, I didn't really want to take any cause I don't think the guy knows what he has. He has a tag on it that says "python" but only has about 5 guns, he don't seem like he knows guns very well. Mostely militaria stuff.
I figured if I went in snapping shots he might decide $659 was underpriced.
I guess I just have to do some research and see if they ever made ones not marked.
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
gatorhugger":3k9q14c8 said:
I guess I just have to do some research and see if they ever made ones not marked.

I've been doing that myself Gator. Couldn't find anything so far. I DID see a Diamondback that looks exactly like the Python, without the action of course, and I suppose that could have been ground off to make it look like an unmarked Python.

Easiest way is to put money down on it to reserve it, ask if he'll refund your deposit within 24 hours if you change your mind, take the serial number out of the cylinder window, and call Colt. They'll give you an instant answer right on the phone as to what it is, and when it was born, no charge. Or just look at it, memorize the serial number, go outside and use your cell to call Colt. If it turns out legit, BUY IT. If you decide not to buy it, please PM me.

If it's really a Python, legitimately unlabeled as such, it 'may' be worth a ton.

REV
 

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
525
Location
North Florida
Good idea. I should have memorized the dang number!!!
They are closed tomorrow, but soon as they open up I will be there.
I would love a steal, but maybe it's a fake??.
The Colt stamp looks real enough.
Problem with me is since I know next to nothing about diamondbacks, troopers, or pythons, I could get fooled fairly easy.
I thought they all said python on the barrel, but this one has nothing.
My daddy always said if the price is too good to be true it is,
but something tells me it's legit.
 

Snake45

Hawkeye
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
6,979
Location
+4020
revhigh":2rcscndz said:
Rev, I saw Seth Rogan shooting your top gun in a movie last night...Observe and Report. Kind of a cool gun scene near the beginning, with some "ultimate mall ninjas." :lol:
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
It should say 'Python 357' on the left side looking down on the gun if the muzzle is pointing to the left, like mine do in the pic above.

It's almost impossible to imagine that it's not at least a Colt. LOL.

I'd look up Colt's customer service number, write it down, go back to the shop, ask to see the gun, memorize the serial number, say you're going to get something to eat, call Colt, then go back and buy it if it turns out to be a Python. The lady can probably tell you if any were made with no markings.

REV
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
Snake45":gsvyhd9v said:
revhigh":gsvyhd9v said:
Rev, I saw Seth Rogan shooting your top gun in a movie last night...Observe and Report. Kind of a cool gun scene near the beginning, with some "ultimate mall ninjas." :lol:

Crap, I have to go check my safe, make sure they returned it LOL .... :D

REV
 

Snake45

Hawkeye
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
6,979
Location
+4020
The Pythons, Trooper III/V series (including King Cobra), and Diamondbacks (D-frames) each have distinctive trigger guard shapes that the experienced eye can spot from clear across the room. Learn these shapes and there will be NO DOUBT what you are looking at, instantly.
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
525
Location
North Florida
Snake45":z7oh1cj0 said:
The Pythons, Trooper III/V series (including King Cobra), and Diamondbacks (D-frames) each have distinctive trigger guard shapes that the experienced eye can spot from clear across the room. Learn these shapes and there will be NO DOUBT what you are looking at, instantly.

Can you elaborate? Are they all rounded? What?
 

Latest posts

Top