Colt New Frontier 45LC question. Now with pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jager01

Bearcat
I just stumbled upon one today. I would like to use them for hunting and woods carry. I know its not a Ruger BH but I assume I can use standard factory loads like Speer Gold dot, Remmington, Winchester etc.. or should I stick to the cowboy loads with lead flat nose bullets? Thanks.

Alright Boys here is the auction link...Tell me what you think

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... &oh=216543

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
Those are really nice guns, wish I could afford one. Short answer is yes, you can use any SAAMI spec .45colt round, not just the "cowboy loads". Long answer is, according to some highly respected authors, that you can load them a little warmer. Factory ammo isn't going to be a problem.

Jager01

Bearcat
Yea I cant afford one either. The price I got it for was a steal. Pretty much the same price as a new Vaquero. I offered the seller who wasnt going to sell it an offer for a hundred more then my deal would sell me a Vaquero and he said yes. My jaw dropped to the floor and I jumped on it.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Congratulations on your coup! I'd have swooped it up as well.

I have several SA Army Colt's. Frankly they're too valuable me to shoot hot loads, IMO.

Typically I keep the loads down to 250 grain bullets @ 950fps. The fact is that round will take darn near any critter in ConUS and doesn't beat up my six shooters.

Cholo

Staff member
I like the Colt New Frontier. Saw one at a gunshow in very nice condition for $600 about 6 years ago. My gut told me something wasn't quite right with it. There was probably something wrong with my head for that price. I'd buy a USFA copy in a NY minute if they made one.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Pictures, pictures, pictures we need pictures. What caliber,barrel length, and generation is your gun? Let me guess 45 Colt,7 1/2", and a 3rd Generation. I bet it looks like this.
NEWFRONTIER.jpg

I had to change the grips so now mine now looks like this but its the gun described above. Get a hold of a copy of Taffins "Single Action Sixguns".
John has a good write up on Colts along with rugers and all the other single actions in it. He talks of pushing bullets of 250grs. and up over 1000 fps. They make nice deer and small black bear gun for under 50 yds.
newgrips.jpg

Leadeye

Bearcat
I had one and finally sold it, was always a little afraid of an ammo mix up and I like shooting the blackhawks better anyway.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Mine is a fine shooter and yes, they can be loaded a little heavy. Look for data from Brian Pearce, John Taffin and Dave Scovill. Scovill likes to push his RCBS270SAA cast bullet to around 1100fps with 2400. Fitted mine with Ajax stags, a #5 basepin and colored the hammer.
NewFrontier%2045x7_%20-%2016.JPG

Jager01

Bearcat
REP1954":2fgymqlo said:
Pictures, pictures, pictures we need pictures. What caliber,barrel length, and generation is your gun? Let me guess 45 Colt,7 1/2", and a 3rd Generation. I bet it looks like this.
NEWFRONTIER.jpg

I had to change the grips so now mine now looks like this but its the gun described above. Get a hold of a copy of Taffins "Single Action Sixguns".
John has a good write up on Colts along with rugers and all the other single actions in it. He talks of pushing bullets of 250grs. and up over 1000 fps. They make nice deer and small black bear gun for under 50 yds.
newgrips.jpg

Pretty much identical to the one you have. Ill post it when it comes in. Thanks.

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
I have two Colt SAA New Frontier 45 Colts, both with 5 1/2" barrels. They are my primary field carry revolvers. I use a Keith style 250 SWC (cast my own) over 8.5 grains of Unique. Velocity is right at 900 fps and accuracy is fine. It is possible to load the Colt hotter than this but I feel like this load will handle anything I need a revolver to do.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Wow, great price! That's what I paid nearly ten years ago and mine was not without its fair share of cosmetic blemishes from a previous owner. Including some nicks on the ejector housing and the scratches on the cylinder. Ya done good!!!

Latest posts