Colt Cowboy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I see there is Colt Cowboy for sale on the classifieds. I am wondering if someone knowledgeable here would be willing to address the distinguishing features that keep a Cowboy from being a SAA. I know there are small differences on each generation of SAA; but the Cowboy distinction must be quite different. Thank You.
KRuger

The Cowboy is definitely not a SAA, it just looks like one and has "Colt" on the side. It was meant to be a cost-competitor to the Vaquero. Cast frame from Pine Tree (Ruger), totally different lockwork, transfer bar safety/frame mounted firing pin and so on. At the time it was $1000 less than a comparable SAA. They only made them for 4-5 years starting in 1998.

They're actually good guns but if something breaks you've got a paperweight. They're probably more robust than a SAA and you can carry a full cylinder safely. Since they were such an abysmal failure, you're kind of in a weird spot with one.

- If you want a collectible, get a SAA
- If you want a shooter, get a Vaquero

Last edited:

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Colt Cowboy….Real Colt SAA, Colt Cowboy…Real Colt
SAA. I just don't think that Colt Cowboy has the
charisma that the Original Colt SAA has.

This type of poser Colt appears to have a connection
to Ruger (Pine Tree casting foundry) which is unique.

Being a Colt revolver you don't see every day, transfer
rod safety, and if I remember correctly, manufactured
nicely. It might appeal to someone else.

To me if I got it as a gift I would keep it. But I would
not go out of my way to buy one. I would cry once
and put my money towards the Original Colt SAA.

With what I see them selling for you could often just look around and find a real SAA for the same price. They didn't get the price down $1K originally by keeping the quality the same…

My theory is people don't know the difference or the sales guys in guns stores don't either, they were a blip on the radar 25 years ago and nobody knows/remembers they were $499 guns.

Again, not saying it's a POS, they aren't at all. I'm just guessing most people don't know what it is when they pay $1400-2500 for one.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I bought a used but unfired/NIB Cowboy from a friend of a friend who needed money back in 2000 and gave him $425 for it. There was a wild explosion in prices after they were discontinued and I sold it in 2006 or so, and doubled my money on it. They continued to go up and are over $1K now.

The story about the frames being outsourced to Ruger sounds familiar and I think most of the internal parts were Italian made, possibly by Uberti. Then I think all Colt did was final assembly. Or something like that.