Coffee Mugs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SamV

Buckeye
I will pass on the unwashed mugs. Everything gets thoroughly washed, including all the coffee making equipment. Every cup is a fresh brew also, no coffee sitting around on a burner for hours. I do like the insulated mugs and such, since they keep my coffee warm.

As to brew freshness I use a Keurig. My standby is Folgers Black Silk. The wife prefers Nespresso. Costs more per cup but always fresh. My alternative if using grounds is French press.

I have a small Keurig I kept in my work truck. Bottle of water and I was set. Nice on a cold winter day, in the oilfield to take a break and have hot fresh coffee.

Chief

Single-Sixer
It is tradition among Navy Chiefs that the coffe mug is never washed while on deployment. It may be rinsed out but never scrubbed clean. Some folks take this tradition to the extreme and that's ok. The Navy lives and dies on its traditions.
Sometimes tradition is used for evil however. When I was assigned to Fighter Squadron 143, we had a Senior Chief there who would never, ever even so much as rinse his mug. He was also a crusty , disagreeable SOB also. Well it was around Chief's initiation time, a time honored tradition of bringing the new Chiefs aboard. Part of this tradition is the charge book. In this book , which the prospective Chief must carry with him and present to ANY Chief at request, are placed "orders " to which the selectee must follow. One order, placed in a heretofore unsuspecting selectee was that he must clean the Senior Chiefs mug every day.
Well he did and all hell broke loose. The Senior took a special interest in that fellows career development. 😂. I got a new cup at every command I was attached to. They all followed the same pattern. Thick , white, wasp waisted with my name and rank/rate insignia on one side and the command's logo on the other. I have several..
IMG_1472.jpeg

Last edited:

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Lots of cups with Grand kids pictures on them. Keep some on my bench to hold Small tools and stuff. I make my coffee so strong they are almost self cleaning.The acid kills bugs? Almost never wash them. My daughter found a lizard (she said snake) in the filter basket. That got washed. Now this is my go to. Had one signed by "The Crumudgeon" but it broke.
1701610429950.jpeg

Mike J

Hunter
No picture but I have a few 20 ounce travel cups I rotate for work. I haven't been on a slab job in a while. When working out a slab during winter I carry a Stanley stainless steel thermos bottle. I have one of the old ones that had the charcoal insulation that looks like it was drug behind the truck instead of riding in it. I worked with a guy years ago that had one that was bent from being hit by a forklift that still worked & held heat. My mother-in-law saw my old one 5 or 6 years ago & got me a new one. She told my wife, "It should look like someone loves him". The old one still works fine.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
The mug I used in the office was black ceramic so the dried coffee in the bottom and sides didn't show. 🙂 Not that I didn't rinse it out from time to time. I only drank black coffee back then so it was only staining. Now that I use a bit of cream in it I rinse it out all the time or put it in the dishwasher.
Yes that mug is disgusting and you should thank her for washing it. 😉
This is just the beginning of re-seasoning it.....trust me there were no thanks given. 😉

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Had one Stanly that was so beat up it would not stand up. Also so flat on one side it would not role around. Still kept stuff HOT!

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
It is tradition among Navy Chiefs that the coffe mug is never washed while on deployment. It may be rinsed out but never scrubbed clean. Some folks take this tradition to the extreme and that's ok. The Navy lives and dies on its traditions.
Sometimes tradition is used for evil however. When I was assigned to Fighter Squadron 143, we had a Senior Chief there who would never, ever even so much as rinse his mug. He was also a crusty , disagreeable SOB also. Well it was around Chief's initiation time, a time honored tradition of bringing the new Chiefs aboard. Part of this tradition is the charge book. In this book , which the prospective Chief must carry with him and present to ANY Chief at request, are placed "orders " to which the selectee must follow. One order, placed in a heretofore unsuspecting selectee was that he must clean the Senior Chiefs mug every day.
Well he did and all hell broke loose. The Senior took a special interest in that fellows career development. 😂. I got a new cup at every command I was attached to. They all followed the same pattern. Thick , white, wasp waisted with my name and rank/rate insignia on one side and the command's logo on the other. I have several..
View attachment 34288

I recognize several of those commands! A lot of Miramar on that wall! Love that display!

I've got a cabinet full of mugs, and never thought about a favorite although there are several that I chose from daily and several others that my wife chooses from, which is odd when I think about it. But every cup gets put into the dishwasher after being used for a mug or more during the morning. It never occurred to me that someone would want to NOT have a clean mug for fresh coffee each day. Even if you drink it black, you are introducing bacteria into the cup and then letting it sit and multiply. Do those of you who don't wash the mug do the same with your plates and tableware, just scraping them off and using them again the next day, crud and all? I guess that I would imagine that anyone that felt inclined not to wash their coffee mug might be someone who never changes his socks or underwear. Weird subject.

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
My little lady uses the Keurig for coffee. And I use the German made BUYDEEM tea pot for tea or hot chocolate:

1701614755554.png

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
About 30 + years old, scratched and stained. But it still keeps my coffee hot. Looked for a new one a couple of years ago but they changed the design.
20231203_071550.jpg

KIR

Sparks, NV
Mine does not photograph well. It is clear glass and has frosted D D letters on it. I presume it is Dunkin' Donuts. What I like about it is the rim, not thick and curves towards the outside. I complained at a local diner recently because their mugs were just that, a mug, not a coffee cup. I imagine it might cut down on the breakage though should one drop to the floor. I am surprised about how most here did not wax poetic about the brand and whole process of their coffee? Freshly ground coffee beans for me. I keep the beans in the freezer, don't ask me why, my wife did it and possibly like most we keep on doing what she does/used to do. Boiled hot water into a coned pot. While most of the time, I use Irish Creme flavored cream, I much prefer Kahlua in my black coffee. I have a sweet tooth but try to limit it and besides Kahlua is expensive. Haven't gotten around to making my own Kahlua yet, though I have a recipe somewhere. I got my son to sign up for a Scheels card, just so I could get the metal red/white/blue mug for my truck. It keeps coffee hot all day long and/or my carbonated Kiwi Strawberry water cold as well.
I won't get started on tea and leave it for another to start a thread on that, though most know how I love to write/type...so for you coffee drinkers...WAKE UP! Good shootin' to ya and STAY SAFE!

Last edited:

Chief

Single-Sixer
Mine does not photograph well. It is clear glass and has frosted D D letters on it. I presume it is Dunkin' Donuts. What I like about it is the rim, not thick and curves towards the outside. I complained at a local diner recently because their mugs were just that, a mug, not a coffee cup. I imagine it might cut down on the breakage though should one drop to the floor. I am surprised about how most here did not wax poetic about the brand and whole process of their coffee? Freshly ground coffee beans for me. I keep the beans in the freezer, don't ask me why, my wife did it and possibly like most we keep on doing what she does/used to do. Boiled hot water into a coned pot. While most of the time, I use Irish Creme flavored cream, I much prefer Kahlua in my black coffee. I have a sweet tooth but try to limit it and besides Kahlua is expensive. Haven't gotten around to making my own Kahlua yet, though I have a recipe somewhere. I got my son to sign up for a Scheels card, just so I could get the metal red/white/blue mug for my truck. I keeps coffee hot all day long and/or my carbonated Kiwi Strawberry water cold as well.
I won't get started on tea and leave it for another to start a thread on that, though most know how I love to write/type...so for you coffee drinkers...WAKE UP! Good shootin' to ya and STAY SAFE!
I don't imagine that you are the type of folks to not clean your cups 😁

Reactions: KIR

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
No picture but I have a few 20 ounce travel cups I rotate for work. I haven't been on a slab job in a while. When working out a slab during winter I carry a Stanley stainless steel thermos bottle. I have one of the old ones that had the charcoal insulation that looks like it was drug behind the truck instead of riding in it. I worked with a guy years ago that had one that was bent from being hit by a forklift that still worked & held heat. My mother-in-law saw my old one 5 or 6 years ago & got me a new one. She told my wife, "It should look like someone loves him". The old one still works fine.
One of my favorites was used to check a boat trailer on the ramp one time and dropped off a tree stand once..

Last edited:

Topfueler1

Bearcat
A good way to clean the inside of your coffee mug. Put super hot water in it from the microwave and mix in dish washer detergent liquid or powder. scrub it with a sponge when it cools down. Clean as new after that. That is how I clean mine.