COATED BULLETS AND RELOADING DATA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

How do the coatings on bullets, such as Missouri Bullets Hi-Tech coating or other powder coatings now available, affect the powder charge when trying to apply recommendations from reloading manuals? Do you use the listing for TMJ or go with hard cast lead? Or somewhere in between?
JH

NikA

Buckeye
The most relevant data might be that provided for copper plated bullets, since they behave something like cast bullets but can be driven to slightly higher velocities. There are too many variables here to tell you exactly how your loads will behave in relation to other book loads, but I have had good success using coated bullets as if they were the same as lubed and cast, and also loading to slightly higher velocities in the jacketed bullet range. I haven't tried loading them to magnum jacketed velocities, and I suspect that I don't have much use for loads in that range anyways.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I load them using cast data. They perform pretty much like regular cast. Without the leading. There probably is some data out there that maxes out on velocity before maxing out on pressure. Since I don't have pressure testing equipment, I don't exceed the max for cast. If I need more velocity, I will choose another powder that gives me the performance I want with cast data.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have a shopping list to take there. Fellow Ruger Enthusiasts are welcome to ride along! This place is out in the sticks on a gravel road. About 35 miles from me.

mikld

Blackhawk
I've coated and shot only about 1,000 PCed bullets in my handguns and a couple rifles. For my handguns I used cast lead data and for my rifles I used cast data or for a couple (Garand) light jacketed data.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
daveg.inkc said:
I have a shopping list to take there. Fellow Ruger Enthusiasts are welcome to ride along! This place is out in the sticks on a gravel road. About 35 miles from me.
I'm going to be in the K.C. area tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm going to be there on business and can't play, or I'd go with you.
I need to pick up bullets in several calibers.
Have fun!

Thanks for the replies. I intend to order either the 357 Pugnose - Hi-Tek.358 Diameter 180 Grain WFN Flat-Base or the 180 gr RNFP, just can't decide which would work best in the 10.5" bbl Maxie. I'm leaning toward the WFN with the longer ogive and loading them close to the upper end of the recommended powder charge with H110. Working up to 22gr from 19.5.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I just returned from M B C. I took a tour of plant. Automated lead casters turning out bullets. Then they go to be coated. rolled in drums and twice baked @ 395 degrees. Then sized. They have between 4 and 6 million bullets on hand. I spent $300.00 on 4 calibers. I showed them 2 of my targets with small groups. I find the Hi-Tec 's shoot just as good as XTP and Sierra's. I asked about velocities. "Use cast data, plus 200 FPS". You can't go too wild with them, but no leading! Also they have a few new 300 gr bullets for Silhoutte. I bought 2 sample bags, and a free sample of 300 gr to try.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I have been using coated Bayou Bullets for a while, my wife and I have several thousand rounds downrange so far and like them. We use cast data as many others have said. I've pushed a few to max cast limits without any problems, but mostly have a middle of the road load for lots of our regular range time.

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
I push my B&B Bullets 158 gn SWC in 357 Mag at true magnum velocity, and my Kootenai Cartridge coated hardcast 180 gn in 10mm at full power and have not had a bit of a problem. In 44 I'll do a 240 gn coated over H-110 @ 1275 fps all day long and not give my barrel a second thought. They just don't lead; at least not for me!

Just get the correct size (just like cast), and you shouldn't have any worries pushing coated bullets fast. I use jacketed data because the coated bullets won't lead at jacketed velocities (at least when you do your due-diligence in bullet size and powder selection). Also they typically run at lower pressure down the bore of the gun when compared to say the Hornady XTP or Sierra Gold-Dot bullets.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Rainy Day Shooter said:
I push my B&B Bullets 158 gn SWC in 357 Mag at true magnum velocity, and my Kootenai Cartridge coated hardcast 180 gn in 10mm at full power and have not had a bit of a problem. In 44 I'll do a 240 gn coated over H-110 @ 1275 fps all day long and not give my barrel a second thought. They just don't lead; at least not for me!
That might be true for you but I suspect the manufacturers have a good reason to advise that coated bullets use lead data. Perhaps it is the soft lead core or the coating but in any event I would stick with what is recommended by the manufacturer of the bullet.