CNN Reporter's Husband uses firearm to protect himself and

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
and wife.

A breaking story from the ABQ Journal:

A former CNN reporter shot and killed a man who allegedly tried to rob him and his wife at a northwest Albuquerque motel room Tuesday night.

Chuck de Caro, who is married to former CNN Headline News anchor Lynne Russell, has worked as an investigative reporter for CNN and other news organizations. The couple was staying at the Motel 6 at 6015 Iliff NW while on their way to California.

According to Russell’s account, de Caro was struck three times in the firefight before shooting and killing the offender, who hasn’t been identified by police.

De Caro was taken to University of New Mexico Hospital and is expected to survive. He will be there about a week, Russell said.

Russell, who graduated from Manzano High School, said that when she went to get something from her car, a man pointed a gun at her and forced her back into the couple’s room. De Caro was in the shower, and when he came out he saw the offender holding Russell against the bed.

The couple tried to talk to the suspect in an attempt to calm him down, and he told them his girlfriend had been kidnapped and he needed money or valuables. Russell said she tried to give the man medication, but he didn’t take it.

The couple, who both have concealed weapons permits, had two guns in the bedside table. Russell, who reportedly has two black belts in a Korean martial art, was able to flip one of them into her purse and handed the purse to de Caro.

The couple continued to try to find items the suspect might want until he saw de Caro’s briefcase. When the suspect demanded the briefcase, de Caro told him that there was nothing valuable in it, only papers.

The suspect got upset that de Caro wasn’t giving him the briefcase and opened fire. De Caro, who had the gun from Russell’s purse, returned fire.

De Caro fired six rounds, and when he was finished the suspect was still firing.

“It was a shootout,” Russell said. “When Chuck exhausted the weapon, he was bleeding profusely.”

De Caro was hit three times — in the abdomen, the leg and lower abdomen.

Russell said she had to dive behind a piece of furniture to avoid being hit.

She said the suspect was a thin, black man wearing green and white.

She said he was agitated and seemed desperate. “I knew he wouldn’t mind shooting us,” Russell said.

Officer Fred Duran said police were called to the motel about 11:30 p.m., and when they arrived, they found a man lying dead in the parking lot.

“The male located in the parking lot has been determined to be the offender,” Duran said.

Mick Chenault, who was spending the night at the motel on his way from Phoenix to St. Louis, said he saw police lights around 12:30 a.m. and went outside. He said he saw a man who looked like he was shot in the head lying in the parking lot directly below his motel room. The man appeared to be African American and was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, he said.

Jason Hill, who was traveling with Chenault, said he has stayed at the motel in the past and will likely again.

“This stuff happens everywhere, I guess,” Hill said.

Russell, who is credited with being the first woman to solo anchor a prime time newscast, said she and de Caro hand’t planned to stay overnight in Albuquerque, but after having dinner with friends, they were too tired to continue driving.

She said de Caro, who was previously in the army and is a national security strategist, was calm and collected during the attempted robbery.

“He’s my hero,” Russell said.

— This is a developing story. Additional information will be added as it becomes available.

I wonder if CNN will fire her???

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Why they violated that individual's civil rights, he had an unhappy childhood, society should have done more to help him....

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Here is a link to the story and pictures of the couple. She is no longer with CNN apparently, He was an investigative journalist and is no longer with them either. I didn't see any report from CNN.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gunman-killed-trying-rob-ex-reporters-lynne-russell-chuck-de-n385416

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Strictly speaking the 38 Special is actually .357. 35 Smith & Wesson ?-where'd they get ammunition for THAT ? A Thompson Center Contender in a 35 rifle caliber? Sort of overkill, don't you think ?

Critch

Single-Sixer
They were staying at Motel 6 because it was the only motel that would let them keep their dog in the room. I've stayed at some fairly nice Motel 6s, no reason to spend $100+/night if you're just passing through.

This story is making libs heads explode...

rjwinz

Bearcat
I've stayed at that motel because we had dogs. Was there with my wife and kids. ABQ is a tough town. Good result. Hope he totally recovers.

pete44ru

Hunter
RugerHound said:
Motel 6?

Things must be tight in the news business! ;)

A local Motel 6 is the site of at least 1 or 2 incidents each month, including drug trafficking, prostitution, robbery, stabbings, and other felonies - and, under threat of losing their city license, is now supplying reports of the motel's occupant's names to the local PD as they register (which IMO is unconstitutional).

This location is about 500' from Rte 95 North/South on/off ramps, the fast interstate highway access makes the location appealing.

RugerHound

Hunter
pete44ru said:
A local Motel 6 is the site of at least 1 or 2 incidents each month, including drug trafficking, prostitution, robbery, stabbings, and other felonies - and, under threat of losing their city license, is now supplying reports of the motel's occupant's names to the local PD as they register (which IMO is unconstitutional).

This location is about 500' from Rte 95 North/South on/off ramps, the fast interstate highway access makes the location appealing.

I certainly didn't mean to disparage anyone for their choices... But I used to travel for a living. Having spent 250-300 (or more) days a year on the road living in hotels for 20 odd years, I came to learn a few things about how to NOT get victimized.

Pete44ru's post explains precisely what I find wrong with cheap hotels. Not that you can't get victimized in expensive hotels, but I'll play the odds in in a little nicer place that is NOT near an airport or freeway. The nicer the vehicle in the cheap hotel parking lot, the bigger bulls eye you got on your back.

If you're gonna stay in Motel 6, (or any other economy hotel), stay away from the ones near the freeways and in the 'seedy' ends of town!

I'm glad the couple were able to stave off the attack and the city doesn't have to worry about prosecuting the bad guy. I also hope the male victim's wounds heal quickly. As another poster said, Albuquerque is a town with some very rough areas.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
Learned a few things from this story too. Good reminders about situational awareness. Both of their carry pistols were in the night stand, one of them in her purse. Her husband was in the shower when she went outside and when she was shoved back inside the room.. Lesson...take your carry gun with you, on your person when you go outside. Be extremely aware when going out at night or at dusk by yourself in a strange location.

I travel alone, often with my dog so I sometimes have to leave the room to take her outside, at night, before we go to bed. Scout your surroundings, always take your cell phone with you and take your carry pistol too. Stay alert to your surroundings and other people who pop up unexpectedly. I also ask for a room near tthe front office and in a well lighted location. Fewer hiding places for spooky folks.

That said...her husband did a fabulous job of fending off the bad guy and protecting his wife. I wish him a speedy recovery. Certainly was a chilling story.

Viking Queen

Latest posts