CNC New bronze "Birds" for Previous Octagon Barrel Bisley

Help Support Ruger Forum:

was1911

Bearcat
Used a .010 carbide ball - Haas machining center. I built this gun awhile back but just got around to finally getting the Shilen octagon barrel, cylinder, "blent" ejector housing & screw, and .257 Belt Mt pin blued. Parts still "in the oil".

I came up on these grips and liked the wood ( got tired of making them in ebony) but they had bad escutcheon holes so I cut new oversized ones from bronze and made a new screw.

Should look OK when all's finished.

Will
'69-'70

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Not laser, CNC (Computer [or computerized] Numerical Control).

In modern CNC systems, end-to-end component design is highly automated using Computer-aided design (CAD) and Computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) programs. The programs produce a computer file that is interpreted to extract the commands needed to operate a particular machine via a post processor, and then loaded into the CNC machines for production. Since any particular component might require the use of a number of different tools – drills, saws, etc., modern machines often combine multiple tools into a single "cell". In other installations, a number of different machines are used with an external controller and human or robotic operators that move the component from machine to machine. In either case, the series of steps needed to produce any part is highly automated and produces a part that closely matches the original CAD design.

When CNC machining was used by USFA to produce their single action frames, 26 blocks of steel were mounted in a giant jig and all 26 frames were completely machined simultaneously by 26 different tool heads in about 20 minutes. An amazing process but one which comes with a huge investment in tooling.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
was1911 said:
Used a .010 carbide ball - Haas machining center. I built this gun awhile back but just got around to finally getting the Shilen octagon barrel, cylinder, "blent" ejector housing & screw, and .257 Belt Mt pin blued. Parts still "in the oil".

I came up on these grips and liked the wood ( got tired of making them in ebony) but they had bad escutcheon holes so I cut new oversized ones from bronze and made a new screw.

Should look OK when all's finished.

Will
'69-'70

Will,

Gorgeous work!

What is a "blent" ejector housing? Do you mean blended to mount on a flat of the oct barrel or an after market brand to work with an octagon barrel?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
NitroAcres said:
Blent is a word we use here in Georgia...'bout as frequently as Y'all...:)

Meaning being 'blended' I presume?

I like learning geographical language nuances. Languages are evolving every second of every day and differently in different areas. It's interesting!

was1911

Bearcat
Yes, here in Georgia we've always created the words that we needed that were found lacking in the "Queen's English".

I'll have the grips finished and the gun all together soon - including the "blent" ejector housing & screw, and post some pics.

Till then, imagine this set - only blued, and you'll have "blent".

This is also along with having to flatten the whole back of the ejector housing - remember the barrel has octagon flats - and to figure the "flats" barrel diameter to match the ejector housing snout to line up heightwise (anothern) with the hole in the frame. This is what makes all this interesting to do.

Ya gotta have a plan.

Will
'69-'70

Custom_Freedom_Arms_44_special_tube_screw.jpg