Cleaning up a NM Super Blackhawk in stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ibboatin28

Single-Sixer
I picked up a NM BH with a 10 in barrel today at the gun show. Looks to be made in 85. It needs a little touch up on the stainless. There are a few rub marks, not gouges than need cleaned up. What is the preferred method to clean these up without damaging the gun?

TIA

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
A Lead Away cloth and a little elbow grease will get rid of most scratches.

the' leadaway' clothes helps clean the leading & fouling off the inside of the frame as well as the fronts of the cylinder...as for the rest of the outside of the gun, you can use a Scotch Brite pad, and blend in the surface to make it look like new.....

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Just one word of caution, keep that LeadAway cloth FAR away from
any blued firearm or part, it will strip the bluing off in a heartbeat but
its great on stainless and for removing lead from a bore wrapped
around a bore brush if you cut a small patch sized piece for that.

flatgate

Hawkeye
ibboatin28":1t7twfaf said:
I picked up a NM BH with a 10 in barrel today at the gun show. Looks to be made in 85.

Does it have a standard length ejector housing and a soldered on front sight base with a pinned in blade? If so, it's a KS410N and it's a rather scarce variation!

157334697.jpg

Mine has a homemade tall front sight blade, otherwise, it's original.

Yes, I ALWAYS use a green Scotch Brite pad to "refinish" my Stainless Rugers and Freedom Arms revolvers. A bit "worn out" pad makes for a softer finish whereas a "new" pad will leave a coarser finish.

JMHO,

flatgate

ibboatin28

Single-Sixer
flatgate":39d0ia4i said:
ibboatin28":39d0ia4i said:
I picked up a NM BH with a 10 in barrel today at the gun show. Looks to be made in 85.

Does it have a standard length ejector housing and a soldered on front sight base with a pinned in blade? If so, it's a KS410N and it's a rather scarce variation!

157334697.jpg

Mine has a homemade tall front sight blade, otherwise, it's original.

Yes, I ALWAYS use a green Scotch Brite pad to "refinish" my Stainless Rugers and Freedom Arms revolvers. A bit "worn out" pad makes for a softer finish whereas a "new" pad will leave a coarser finish.

JMHO,

flatgate

No my front sight is screwed on. Its sn 85-087xx. I seldom find the rare ones...

I used flitz on it last night and it's coming together pretty good. I'll try to post pics when it's done...