Cleaning the mini 14 with scope attached

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tailout

Bearcat
So in the month I've owned a mini 14 I've run a thousand rounds down the pipe. Tried the stock peep sites so so, mounted the stock rail with a red dot, too low getting hit by ejected brass. Bought a aftermarket rail that used the stock mounting slots, sits higher clear of getting hit by brass. Tried the red dot, one eye two eyes didn't like it. Bought a vortex crossfire 3-9x40 scope and used the stock rings. Slighted in with a laser @ 25 yards she's nuts on @ 100yards. Every time after I ran ammo down range, I cleaned the bore and receiver good. I wanted to field strip the gun and clean the gas pipe and front of the slide, I was going to remove the scope, but I put a lot of time and ammo into getting on target so I went ahead and took her down with it on. It wasn't hard at all. I removed the ejector bolt stop that was key. It can be done. When I got the rifle apart I was surprised how much crap was on the gas pipe. At first I thought what I was looking at was a weld, big build up of carbon right where the pipe goes in to the gas block, had to scrape away at it. The rest of the gun was not that bad. How often do you guys clean the gas pipe and piston end of the slide? Is it common for there to be that much hard carbon after the first thousand rounds of break in?

Tailout

Bearcat
IMG_20220421_194835556.jpg
IMG_20220416_091206848.jpg
IMG_20220429_070505472.jpg

When I had an M-14(the REAL thing) assigned to me, we cleaned then as often as conditions allowed. The exceptions were the 'bedded' (accurized) match rifles. Only range personnel were allowed to disassemble those due to the tight glassing of the action and possible loosening of same if improperly handled. None had 'optics' BTW. The 'gas pipe' and all major sub-assemblies were cleaned(using diesel fuel and brushes) every time the rifle was dis-assembled.

Tailout

Bearcat
During my time in the Army I fired alot of weapons, especially the M16A1. We had a few M14's in the arms room (I was the armor) I was able to get ammo for the M14's when I picked up 5.56mm ammo for record fire exercises. Man is that a sweet rifle to fire. On full automatic it's a handful. When I heard Ruger was making a little smaller version chambered in.223/5.56mm with that Gerran action I wanted one, well almost 50 years later I did. Ruger mini 14 Ranch Rifle. Really fun to shoot.

Goat21

Bearcat
I always wanted one and now have a 580 model purchased a few years ago at about $800 new in box. It is 5.56 and sure is fun to shoot.

I thought I wanted a Mini 14 based on my experiences with a real life M-14. Very disappointing is an understatement. Those early model Mini14's were uncommonly inaccurate and I got rid of mine w/o losing too much on the deal. An accurized M-14 was a real joy to shoot if you had the eyes for it.

No reason to think twice about removing a scope for any good cleaning. As a master shooter with big money invested in guns and several match grade scopes. I always transported the scopes off the guns and remounted on the firing line. Hunting rifles I mount all my scopes and remove them whenever I want to. Just don't touch the ring screws. After the remount, if the scope is off a little turn the adjustments. As with many rifles a complete cleaning may in fact change the point of impact anyway.