cleaning the firing pin in 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kyhareraiser

Bearcat
how is this done / do i need to take the rifle apart ,remove the stock,then the trigger assembly .and then what... thank's

Pinecone

Blackhawk
kyhareraiser, The barreled action must be removed from the stock, the trigger guard assembly then removed from the action and "then" the breach block removed from the action and the "firing pin" then removed from the breach block! I strongly recommend you secure J.B. Wood's book: the "new" edition of Rimfire Rifle Assembly/Disassembly usually available at major chain bookstores or from Brownell's, Inc. If your going to "mess" with your firearms, you need the "whole" J.B. Wood series of assembly/disassembly manuals. If you like guns, it will be one of the best "investments" you ever make!......................Dick :idea:

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I just take the bolt out and soak it in a mason jar containing kerosene/gasoline every year or few.

Let it soak for a while, take it out and wiggle the firing pin, do this a couple more times, and then blow the part dry with compressed air.

Gets it pretty darn clean with little work and no chance of losing springs, boogering up the extractor, or busting up the pin/bolt.

Once you are done filter the gas back into the lawnmower with cheesecloth.

This works for much more than just the bolt of a 10/22....heck I drop my entire mark II (minus grips) in kerosene every now and then.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I_Like_Pie":1e8tjrcg said:
I just take the bolt out and soak it in a mason jar containing kerosene/gasoline every year or few.

Let it soak for a while, take it out and wiggle the firing pin, do this a couple more times, and then blow the part dry with compressed air.

Gets it pretty darn clean with little work and no chance of losing springs, boogering up the extractor, or busting up the pin/bolt.

Once you are done filter the gas back into the lawnmower with cheesecloth.

This works for much more than just the bolt of a 10/22....heck I drop my entire mark II (minus grips) in kerosene every now and then.

I like your way of doing things with the kerosene. Gotta nix the gasoline though. Some folks just can't seem from getting into trouble using it :)

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I learned about taking my 10/22 apart by watching videos on youtube. Even if you don't see a helpful video, it's free.

Latest posts