cleaning the American?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I have a new Ruger American 308, and have a question on cleaning the copper. I use Hoppes Bench Rest copper solvent, let it soak 30 minutes and wipe out. It got most of the copper out except just a small amount at the edge of the muzzle, I am talking about just small specks of it. Do ya'll get it all out or will a little be ok left in there? I can soak again but if I don't need to, I would rather just wait as I will be shooting again in a few days at coyotes and will be cleaning again. also would it hurt to leave a little copper for a few weeks in between trips out? thanks for any help.

You can SEE the copper fouling??
How much did you shoot the rifle before cleaning?
I used to haul a .308 as my long ranger and often shot it all winter w/o cleaning(of course it wasn't a brand new barrel).

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
You can SEE the copper fouling??
How much did you shoot the rifle before cleaning?
I used to haul a .308 as my long ranger and often shot it all winter w/o cleaning(of course it wasn't a brand new barrel).

Yes, its not much, after a soak in Hoppes bench rest there is just specks in there. I fired it 10 rounds in setting and making sure of scope set then 2 more at two coyotes. Yes I killed both.

That seems an excessive amount of fouling from 12 rounds. My advice: find some of the cheaper grade .308 FMJ ammo and spend an afternoon doing a 'barrel break-in' exercise. Start by shooting 3 and cleaning with a dedicated copper remover. Continue until you see a reduction in copper deposit or run out of ammo. You can leave the bore wet with Hoppe's #9, Kroil, or CLP but I can't recommend leaving the more volatile products even overnight.
Just a note: If you're using brass patch jags, even Hoppe's #9 will pull enough brass off the jag to result in green patches following.

Sweets 7.62 is a go to copper remover from years ago used by most if not all high power match shooters to remove copper. The green and greenish blue is copper. There are a few others now on the market. As long as they come out those colors there is copper fouling in bore. If I have done the brush with cleaner and several dry patches after the color is still on the patches I repeat. I am currently working on a 308 that if you look down the bore it looks brand new until you look at the muzzle and back about 3 inchs there are still streaks of copper. Sometimes it takes a few times over a few days. In the end, on a hunting grade rifle is some copper left in the barrel going to be a problem, likely not. I see far too many hunting rifles with copper in barrels and the guys still kill deer every year.

wwb

Hunter
Clean the holy heck out ofit,and then invest in the "Tubb's Final Finish". Done properly, you have a mirror finish in the barrel that almost completely eliminates copper fouling, and makes it very easy to remove what small traces you get. Also, almost guaranteed to improve accuracy.

If any of Tubb's stuff is as good as he is a shooter it would be the best or near best. I almost bought a Tubb 2000 match rifle. It kind of became a rifle many copied. That was back in 2000 and I have lost skills to use such top class equipment. So not sure what the world class shooters are using.