CLEANING R.O.A.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J. D. Moreguns

Bearcat
Anyone ever use Windex with vinegar to clean a s.s. Ruger Old Army. I read an artical awhile back that said it worked real well. Was just wondering if anyone had any luck or problems with it.

Papa

Bearcat
What I use is a medium size bottle of Windex(16oz I think), same size Murphy's Oil Soap, poured into a gallon jug and filled the rest of the way with water. Works amazingly well!!

Papa

Rainman

Blackhawk
Mike Venturino wrote an article on using Windex with vinegar to clean black powder cartridge rifles. Apparently it works amazingly well to clean without any harmful effects according to him.

I've read some conflicting comments on MLV on this forum recently but this one tip may be correct.

I tend to like 777 for my Old Army and TC Encore since clean-up with plain water is a snap.

Dan

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Here is how I and my black powder team mates N-SSA clean our 1858 Remingtons:

Between events:
50:50 mixture of Simple Green and water in a spray bottle on patches. Clean the barrel and chambers as necessary.

After shooting is over:
Spray down the gun with Ballistol www.ballsitol.com and clean with toothbrush and regular brass brushes plus patches. Ballsitol will "keep" the gun till you get home for final cleaning.

Final cleaning;
Remove grips. Remove cylinder. Run LOTS of hot water through the barrel, frame and action. Use a toothbrush on the frame and accesible parts of the hammer. Cycle the action to let gunk break up and flow out. When done, wipe down the gun and run lots of Ballistol through the action barrel and frame Clean the gun as usual. Ballistol is the only only preserative you need. Wipe down.

My 1858 Remington has NO rust whatsoever on it and it has never been disassembled except for gunsmith repairs (which are almost never needed on an Old Army). Mine really is an OLD ARMY.

We shoot single handed competition at 25 and 50 yards. My gun has a habit of putting EXACTLY 1 round through the X ring at 50 yards on nearly every 50 yard event, despite the fact that the group might othewise be termed terrible.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Dump the Windex with vinegar into an empty gallon jug and top off with water.

Yes it really does work. After cleaning I flush the barrel, cylinder, and frame with boiling water. I want the gun too hot to hold with my bare hand. Dry the bore/cylinder with a patch and then goop everything with bore butter. With the metal hot the bore butter melts on contact. No rust using this method.

Of course, there are probably as many ways to clean black powder guns as there are shooters!

Alex-tx

Bearcat
Bucket of warm soapy water. Dawn dishwashing detergent. Assorted brushes to clean the frame, charge holes, bore etc. Then rinse under scalding water and blow dry. Then, the whole gun gets dunked in my super secret solvent tank and blow/hang dry (in the summer, in Texas, hanging the gun outside for a while is the same as blow drying it)

I got the recipe from an old gunsmith. In a .50 cal ammo can, mix equal parts WD-40 and Kerosene. Add about 2 cups of Marvel Mystery Oil. It cleans, gets into every crevice and, when all the keroses and WD-40 evaporate, it leaves a nice film of Marvel (a light oil) all over everything.