Cleaning question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I have a question if some of you can help me out. How often should I oil my revolver? Let's assume that I am not shooting it for 6 months, I keep it in a case, in a room tempature room out of the elements.

I typically will put a healthy coat of oil on it, then use dry cleaning patches to soak up any excess, then lightly go over it with a soft cloth so there is no oil feel to the revolver.

It is stanless steel but I still worry about corrosion and rust though there are no signs of it, I just do not want it to "dry out".

Any suggestions?

nn

Single-Sixer
A light coat of oil on the non stainless parts and a wipe down on the ss is enough.

I wipe EVERYTHING down with 'RIG' been using it since the 60's and have not had a gun rust on us yet...........
PS on any stainless guns, make sure you get UNDER the grips from time to time.............. :roll:

A

Anonymous

I guess my question should be rephrased. Assuming I am not shooting the revolver, how often while in it's case in a room tempature room need I pull it out and re oil it? Weekly? Monthly? How often need I put a light coat of oil on it while it's shelved.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum!

If you're shooting even just twice a year, I think you won't NEED to oil it except after shooting and cleaning it.
On the other hand, if you just WANT to get it out once every week or two just to go over it with a small amount of oil followed by a soft cloth, I totally understand. :)

-Stephen

*edited to add, "Do you have any photos?"

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I go over my stored guns once a year, maybe more often than that. This is when they have been put away clean with a light amount of oil on all metal, inside & out. So I just give them a wipe down & a damp patch down the bore. Any new or used gun I receive I strip it down some & go over it. This would include taking the grips or stock off. I also do this after the gun may of gotten wet on a hunt. I have guns from the 70's(some hand-me-downs much older) that are good as new.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Make sure that you also oil the Base Pin also from time
to time. I put a light coat of Rig gun grease on all mine.
I've several guns over the years that had frozen base pins.

I do a wipe down on all my guns every 4 months or so, great time to take pictures! :wink:
Terry

maxpress

Buckeye
cant leave mine alone that long but the ones that dont get shot get mill tech once a year at least.
everything gets fondled at every 2 months with a teflon towel. just wipe the outside and open the cylinder and so forth.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Several of my guns only come out once a year. It's pretty dry here, and they're cleaned and lightly oiled before storing after their annual use. I've not had any problems in some 40 yrs using that drill.

I've also put some away for several years. They were protected w/ a product similar to RIG. One came out of the case spotless after 10+ years.

Again, it's pretty dry here, so if you have humidity problems, my drill may not be adequate. You may want to start w/ 4-6 month inspections, then lengthen the time frame based on experience.

Rick C

Pal Val

Buckeye
Oil gets acidic over time. For a gun that won't be touched for some time, you want to give it a coat of pure caranuba wax. I keep my "safe babies" in silicone-impregnated bags. I also have a humidity-absorbent can in there, to keep humidity low.

I have a couple guns that have been stored for almost 30 years, with not a speck of rust.

rhatimi

Bearcat
JSWSBH":18vsmh4i said:
I have a question if some of you can help me out. How often should I oil my revolver? Let's assume that I am not shooting it for 6 months, I keep it in a case, in a room tempature room out of the elements.

I typically will put a healthy coat of oil on it, then use dry cleaning patches to soak up any excess, then lightly go over it with a soft cloth so there is no oil feel to the revolver.

It is stanless steel but I still worry about corrosion and rust though there are no signs of it, I just do not want it to "dry out".

Any suggestions?

I too own a stainless ruger revolver and keep it in the safe for extended periods of time. Every so often I will take the revolver out (mainly to look at it) and lightly coat it with Break Free CLP and a cotton rag. The Break Free is great at preventing rust, and does not attract other contaminants, it also does not leave much of a residue. After that I rap the revolver in a cellophane bag( the one that came with the gun), and place it back in the plastic box it came in, then place it in a safe. I figure if I put it back in storage the way it was shipped from ruger, should not have any problems. :wink:

By the way I have noticed on some occasions that small rusty/discoloration spots will collect every so often on the peg of the grip frame (under the houge grips), so as mentioned above it is a good idea to also take the grips off and lightly wipe it with a oil rag.