Cleaning question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmac

Bearcat
How does one clean the forcing cone area of a New Vaquero? I cleaned mine today after two sessions of shooting and could not get the fowling out of the forcing cone area, my .45 brush doesn't contact that part of the barrel. Thought I would ask you guys.

Secondly is it OK to keep my New Vaquero Stainless steel in a leather holster in my house or should I keep it stored in the case it came in? I don't want to damage the shiny !!
thanks Jamie

Enigma

Hunter
To answer your questions in reverse order, first, I wouldn't store any handgun in a leather holster or case. I don't know for a fact that the leather will discolor or otherwise damage the stainless steel, but I don't want to find out the hard way. Leather both absorbs moisture, and has the residue of chemicals used in the tanning process in it. I'm not taking the chance.

I'd suggest buying a Lewis Lead remover from Brownells. It has an aluminum cone that screws onto the handle intended specifically for cleaning forcing cones. You use the little brass screens that come with the kit for this purpose.

dave

Bearcat
> I wouldn't store any handgun in a leather holster or case.

I prefer plastics for carry, too , especially in summer.

LeadDownrange

Bearcat
+1 on the Lewis Lead Remover.

Just follow the instructions, they are pretty complete.

You probably won't believe the amount of lead this tool removes from the forcing cone the first time you use it.

Latest posts