Cleaning my P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bradyman1

Bearcat
What do you suggest to clean a P95. I also have a savage 64 (i think that is the model number) 22 rifle with a plastic stock. I want to be able to clean it with the same stuff. I would like to have something that I can get into the rifle with, without haveing to break it down. What are your suggestions for cleaning and lubricating?

Thanks
Jason

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
bradyman1 ... First of all welcome to the forum and congrats on your new P95 ... Glad to have you aboard. Secondly, I've sent a PM with my thoughts on your cleaning questions.

A

Anonymous

The P95 is so easy to break down and clean kinda wonder why a person would not give it a good indepth cleaning?!

Never the less, the same cleaning products used for any gun will do the job.

kscott

Single-Sixer
I don't think he was worried about breaking the pistol down, just the rifle. I use a toothbrush to clean my slide inside and out with cleaner.

bradyman1

Bearcat
Thanks for the warm welcome, I have been a longine lurker. I am not worried about breaking down the p95, it is done very easily. The rife is my concern. Is the spray cleaner like break free compatible with the "plasic" guns? I think the spray stuff could get in there and clean it out pretty well. I just don't want to ruin my weapons.

Thanks for the help.
Jason

Pinecone

Blackhawk
bradyman1, Welcome to the forum. At some point in time, that Model 64 is going to get "gunked" up enough to necessitate disassembly for complete cleaning as "all" semi-auto .22 rimfires eventually do! There are "complete" takedown instructions for your rifle in J.B. Wood's latest rimfire book: Rimfire Rifles Assembly/Disassembly available at most big book stores or Brownell's. I would strongly suggest you consider getting this book. Takedown of firearms is not really any different than taking your toaster or washing machine apart. It is easily learned if you have "any" mechanical aptitude at all. When I started out, all these great takedown manuals were not available so I had to learn by the "seat of my pants" method. At the time I only had "moderate" mechanical ability. You, more than likely can do this also. The "start" of aquiring a skill with repair/cleaning of firearms is to put together a good "library" of gun books. J.B. Wood's series of books are a "good" start on that endeavor!....................................Dick :wink:

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Break free won't hurt your guns. Go ahead and use it to clean away and be happy.

tk

Howie

Bearcat

dacaur

Single-Sixer
I clean my p95 thoroughly every time I shoot it, since it is my home defence gun, and the one time I didn't clean it and decided to wait till after the next time I shot it, it started to jam on me....

.22's however are completly different.... A .22 doesn't need to be cleaned until you start to lose accuracy. I do wipe out the action every time I shoot mine, but leave the barrel alone, It doesn't need it, and you actually hurt accuracy when you clean it... It takes anywhere from 20 to 100 shots after I actually clean my .22 barrels before they start being accurate again.... And thousands of shots before they start loosing accuracy due to being dirty...

Pinecone

Blackhawk
dacaur, "You actually hurt accuracy when you clean it"..................Hmmmmmmmmm. Where did you pick that "info" up from? Could you "elaborate" on that statement?.......................Dick :wink:

slowrider

Single-Sixer
I think the OP is worried about the cleaners damaging the plastic parts. Since i don't own any plastic/polymer guns and always remove my handgun grips before cleaning I can't give a definitive answer other than I know not to let break cleaner get on plastic parts. As far as solvents like Hopps #9 and the like I'd like to hear opinions too.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Pinecone":2trelrq7 said:
dacaur, "You actually hurt accuracy when you clean it"..................Hmmmmmmmmm. Where did you pick that "info" up from? Could you "elaborate" on that statement?.......................Dick :wink:

Not permanently. But with most .22's accuracy is poor right after you clean them. Have you ever tried to sight in a brand new gun? If you start sighting in without running some ammo through it, you will waste a lot of time.... Like I said, when I do clean my .22's, it takes on average 50 rounds before the accuracy returns to "normal"... I dont know the why of if, just that it is.....

As for cleaners... I use break free clp on my guns, polymer, metal, and wood, no issues.... I try to keep it off the wood, but I'm much less careful with polymer frame's and stocks.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
dacaur, Have I ever tried to sight a "new" gun in? As a gunsmith of 43+ years, I have sighted in "hundreds" of guns of all types. I have cleaned well over a thousand .22 cal rifles and I have to say, I have yet to see "accuracy" get any worse by cleaning a barrel on a .22 cal rifle! Different strokes for different folks!...........................Dick :wink: