Cleaning cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nnero93

Bearcat
What is the best way to clean the front of the cylinder and chambers? The cylinder face is black and it will not come off. There is also black rings in the chambers (from the .38 special) that I can not get off. I have shot just a little over 50 rounds through it since it was new.

I ran a patch saturated with hoppes no. 9 through each of the chambers, let it sit and then ran a bronze bore brush through multiple times. And then another patch with hoppes no. 9. I couldnt get anything off the cylinder face either. I used a nylon bristle brush soaked in hoppes no. 9 too. Is a bronze ok for this or will it scratch? The rest of the gun cleans up fine.

raw6464

Bearcat
nnero93":1ffvcmyc said:
What is the best way to clean the front of the cylinder and chambers? The cylinder face is black and it will not come off. There is also black rings in the chambers (from the .38 special) that I can not get off. I have shot just a little over 50 rounds through it since it was new.

I ran a patch saturated with hoppes no. 9 through each of the chambers, let it sit and then ran a bronze bore brush through multiple times. And then another patch with hoppes no. 9. I couldnt get anything off the cylinder face either. I used a nylon bristle brush soaked in hoppes no. 9 too. Is a bronze ok for this or will it scratch? The rest of the gun cleans up fine.

Soak the front end of the cylinder in Hoppes or Eds Red http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmj ... ds_red.htm for an hour, run a used 357 casing in and out of each chamber and finish off a few brushings with a 45 caliber brush. Some people use a cordless drill with the brush but I found if I soak the cylinder first that's not necessary .

The black on the cylinder face can be cleaned with fine steel wool or a Scotts cleansing pad... but it's not something to worry about. I would not use a bronze brush on the face of the cylinder.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Remington Lead Remover with a stiff nylon brush works very well in cleaning the front of the cylinders (on a stainless revolver anyways). Just my $0.02.

J Miller

Blackhawk
nnero93":3aasywtf said:

Well, I have no idea as I just ignore that black stain. Every time I shoot it will return. It's not gonna harm the gun or ruin the accuracy, so why waste the time and effort to scrub it off?

JMHO

Joe

Rclark

Hunter
Well, I have no idea as I just ignore that black stain. Every time I shoot it will return. It's not gonna harm the gun or ruin the accuracy, so why waste the time and effort to scrub it off?
Ditto! The scorching is not going to hurt a thing!

nnero93

Bearcat
I knew it wouldnt have an effect on anything, but it just bothers me a little looking at it when the gun is clean.

caygeon

Bearcat
Hi
Try cleaning your gun with Gunzilla, It's a plant based cleaner that works like a CLP and it will clean and lubricate your gun and leave a dry film that protects against rust.You can leave it in your gun for as long as you like without damage.
Caygeon

GP100man

Buckeye
if ya can see the carbon rings your holdin the revolver all wrong!!!LOL
i only clean mine once a yr. to the metal to measure wear & tear.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
I knew it wouldnt have an effect on anything, but it just bothers me a little looking at it when the gun is clean.

Howdy

Eventually, if you own enough revolvers, you will stop worrying about the carbon rings on the front of the cylinder. I own so many revolvers I just can't be bothered about the carbon rings. Too much effort to remove, and they return as soon as you shoot it anyway.

The other way to get rid of them is to shoot some Black Powder rounds through it. For some reason that I have not yet figured out, Black Powder rounds leave no carbon rings on the front face of the cylinder. They don't leave any lead behind either. Of course you do have to clean a little bit more often with Black Powder than with Smokeless.

raw6464

Bearcat
For what it's worth, if you don't clean the chambers of 38 special carbon there WILL come a time when a 357 won't chamber :( The carbon rings on the face of the cylinder are not a problem.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Start with some Hoppes...that lightens them a bit. Then the Lead Removal cloths will wipe the rings on the front of the cylinder away, with only minor scrubbing required.

Important Note : Use the lead removal cloths ONLY on stainless revolvers. Do not use on a blued revolver, as I've been told the chemicals in the cloth can damage the blueing.

Regards,

MD