Cleaning a Wiley Clapp Revolver exterior ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zeke38

Bearcat
I recently purchased a WC Ruger GP100 3" with the gray finish. Got a chance to shoot it today and it shot well. How do you get all the carbon residue of the cylinder and other parts of the exterior of the weapon? I used Gun Scrubber and it did not go well. Finally used CLP and cleaned 90% of the residue off. Must be an easier way to clean this rough Gray exterior? Any leads on what works well?

hittman

Staff member
Is that what some call a "matte" finish?
If so, I think you're stuck with the rings. Hoppe's on a patch works best.

If it's stainless, use a Metal Care Cloth from Pro-Shot Products. Do NOT use this on matte or blued.

Zeke38

Bearcat
WC Revolver.jpg
This is the beast!

hittman

Staff member
I think that's matte.
As unsightly as the rings may be …. There's no harm until they're thick enough to put the cylinder in a bind. :)

If it were mine I'd just use Hoppe's on a patch and a Silicone Cloth …. Same stuff I've been using forever. But, I may not be as particular as some folks.

fuzzyedge

Bearcat
for the rings on the front of the cylinder on mine i use flitz and a brass tooth brush , on the sides where the taper is, i use flitz and a q tip

Attachments

• a Ruger GP100 WC.jpg
    a Ruger GP100 WC.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 62

Rclark

Hunter
here's no harm until they're thick enough to put the cylinder in a bind
Never happen. Just wipe with Hoppes #9 and what doesn't come off stays. It does not build up.... At least non of mine has done so after thousands of rounds. It is a cosmetic thing only that bugs some people :) .

Enigma

Hunter
I saw a thread on another forum on a similar subject where a member posted a pic of him cleaning the carbon rings off the front of a stainless steel cylinder with an electric toothbrush, and an unspecified (mild) abrasive. I'll bet that toothpaste would even work in that application! Alternates are JB Bore Cleaner, Flitz, and Iosso.

Zeke38

Bearcat
Thanks Enigma, the face of the cylinder is no problem. I'm talking about the exterior body of the cylinder. I used CLP today, soaked it and it worked in an approved manner.
xofhpDll.jpg

Cleaned up pretty well with CLP.

Last edited:

Latest posts