Cleaning a brand new SR9?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
im picking up a SR9 from the gun shop on Tuesday ( i must wait 3 days, due to a city law) but i saw and held the gun and i noticed it was SUPER OILY.
should i do a normal field strip of the gun and clean the whole thing?
even the grip was oily.
should i use a normal cleaning solvent over the entire gun? then lube it like normal?
thanks in advance again

JeepVideo

Bearcat
When I picked up my SR9 I cleaned it up (what I thought was) real good and then used Sentry Solutions Armorer`s Kit on it. After every outing I clean it and specifically treat the bore and barrel with the kit's Smooth-Kote.

I haven't taken apart the trigger assembly to clean and "treat" those surfaces... maybe I'll do that the next time I have the entire evening free (as if!)

mekender

Single-Sixer
Yup, I would clean the dickens out of it. I stripped and cleaned mine right in the store I bought it from.

graygun

Hunter
Use a cleaner that is safe for synthetics on the non-metallic areas. Birchwood Casey makes a spray;I bought a can at Academy Sports. There are many solvents and lubes available for the metal parts.

Mine had traces of red grease inside but the exterior was not oily.

jhearne

Buckeye
Ruger uses a thick grease inside the gun and it's not imperative that you clean it, but a ritualistic cleaning of a new firearm isn't a bad thing :). I use RemOil wipes and spray when cleaning with an old toothbrush for the nooks and such.

They do oil the outsides and some will get all over the greenish bag they put the guns inside, the oil will transfer all over the gun sometimes. Mine was a little oily on the frame I think.

Josh

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
i know this might get me flamed * flame suit on*
but i have heard of people using breakleen or other brake cleaners to clean their guns..... is this ok or is it a bad idea?

jhearne

Buckeye
No flame zone man, (grabs fire extinguisher), in all metal guns, it can be, it's a great degreaser and removes gunk quite easily IN ALL METAL GUNS!! But for Poly frames, it is most of the time a "Negative Ghost Rider". It can essentially melt some materials, and at least discolor most softer materials (like poly gripframes).

Any NON-Chlorinated cleaners should be fine, any "oil" containing sprays, wipes, cleaners, etc....are fine as well.

Josh

mekender

Single-Sixer
Just use Hoppes. Works every time and best of all the chicks dig the smell. You will save a fortune on cologne..

bearing01

Bearcat
I wouldn't use brake cleaner. That stuff removes paint and/or any lettering. It can also damage plastic & rubber.

My SR9 wasn't oily. Only the magazine loader press thing was covered in oil.

graygun

Hunter
Maybe mine was not new but "new"...no green bag. It was in the hard case and had the Glock-ish trigger. Maybe the dealer sent it in for the mod.

Falls_Guy

Bearcat
I use a Gun Scrubber, works great! A little grease drop on either side of the slide and Rem Oil on mobile parts and springs. WALLA!

Bersa45

Bearcat
Hey, shoot the crap out of it and get it really hot, then wipe the drips off of it when all that stuff melts. Then when you're done shooting it clean it thoroughly. have fun and shoot often, yes? :wink:

Latest posts