Cleaner selection for carbon, leading & copper deposits?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rustymusket

Bearcat
Over the years I have used many rimfire and centerfire weapons cleaners to remove carbon buildup, leading, and copper fouling in firearm barrels and actions.
I don't know of anyone familiar with the cleaning of long and short guns who hasn't used the original Hoppe's #9 cleaner.
It must be used in a well-ventilated area, and preferably, according to my spouse, out in the garage!
Because of the aromatic organic compounds in Hoppe's #9, I've always worried about potential liver damage from prolonged exposure to the fumes when using it, so I protect myself by wearing rubber gloves and have fans circulating the air around my workbench.
Ditto for some of the military surplus CLP products being offered on the Internet and at various gun shows across the country.
There ARE documented cautions with the use of BreakFree CLP regarding skin absorption toxicities and breathing the fumes created with its use.
These days we are seeing new and improved and ODORLESS firearm cleaning products reputed to be better than anything else on the commercial market.
For example, Hoppe's now offers, in addition to the original #9 cleaner, Hoppe's Synthetic (odorless) #9 cleaner, Hoppe's Elite cleaner (available both as a liquid spray and aerosol foam), Hoppe's Black Gun cleaner, Hoppe's Boresnake Venom cleaner, and Hoppe's M-Pro 7 cleaner.
Inquiries to Hoppe's has failed to yield any responses as to which Hoppe's gun cleaner product is 'da best' cleaner, and, up to this point, we, in the shooting community, are faced with deciding if we are to use an effective cleaner which may be toxic to our bodies, or odorless cleaners which might not be as effective as desired.
I am reluctant to ask, "what do YOU use" and get replies like CLP, Ed's Red, and Hoppe's #9, without a conditional "and have knowledge of BOTH the effectiveness AND safety of the product(s) I use".
So, I will throw out this question to the Ruger forum membership, "do the gun cleaning product(s) you use both work effectively without prolonged scrubbing and are known to be safe to the human body?" Just curious.......
Rustymusket

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I use Hoppe's Elite cleaner in the 32 oz spray bottle but hardly ever use the sprayer. I pour some in a small bottle and dip my patches and brushes into it. It doesn't smell at all and cleans pretty well. The more you use it the easier it is to clean the bore. It is a water based cleaner. I plan on trying some M-pro7 in the future.

I also use Rem Oil after cleaning to protect the bore and other metal surfaces from rust and corrosion.

I do have other cleaners for specific jobs like copper removal and penetrating.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I just bought a bottle of this to try out, good reviews
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/112089/sharp-shoot-r-wipe-out-patch-out-brushless-bore-cleaning-solvent-8-oz-liquid

I all so use Kroil, JB paste, & Barnes copper juice.

Enigma

Hunter
I like KG-1 or Kroil both for carbon, and I have used them on some serious carbon deposits - in 60mm mortars! They seem to work about equally well for carbon, at least in my experience.

Sweet's always worked well for copper, but it can be nasty stuff. You must use it strictly in accordance with the manufacturer's directions. These days I mostly use Wipe-Out for about everything in rifles - except lead. I much prefer to prevent leading, rather than having to remove it!

I wont downplay the exposure to any chemical, but it's interesting to me that folks worry about Hoppe's #9 as dangerous, but they will let their wives and kids pump gasoline into their car without any protection. Modern gasoline contains some nasty components, far worse than Hoppe's #9.

http://www.hoppes.com/Hoppes/files/9d/9dc3db35-232c-4353-bc5c-9b3e79cfc834.pdf

mohavesam

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
I wont downplay the exposure to any chemical, but it's interesting to me that folks worry about Hoppe's #9 as dangerous, but they will let their wives and kids pump gasoline into their car without any protection. Modern gasoline contains some nasty components, far worse than Hoppe's #9.

Not to drift much - but everyone should ask for and receive (for free) the complete MSDS pages for any chemical or solvent before opening a bottle. I am particulalry interested in the flash point, due to light bulbs, switches and outlets near my bench, i.e., Hoppe's No.9 vapor will ignite above 55 degrees F, but fortunately it has a bright flame... Its amazing also, how many compounds we use that have deadly interactions with heart, liver, and pancreas medications. And yet... :shock: :oops: :oops:

Enigma

Hunter
mohavesam said:
WAYNO said:

Not to drift much - but everyone should ask for and receive (for free) the complete MSDS pages for any chemical or solvent before opening a bottle. I am particulalry interested in the flash point, due to light bulbs, switches and outlets near my bench, i.e., Hoppe's No.9 vapor will ignite above 55 degrees F, but fortunately it has a bright flame... Its amazing also, how many compounds we use that have deadly interactions with heart, liver, and pancreas medications. And yet... :shock: :oops: :oops:

Very true, and most manufacturers have a readily available link to the MSDS/SDS for their respective products on their websites. If not, an email or phone call should provide a copy.

I clean my guns every time they get shot so I can't really say how well my choice of cleaners work because they don't have to work very hard. Original Hoppes #9 is all I use along with Hoppes oil, I don't wear gloves but I do have an exhaust fan above my workbench. When I open a bottle of Hoppes #9 I'm immediately transported back in time to my grandfathers workbench in his basement...no other cleaner can do that.

Latest posts