Clean up stainless 44 special flattop?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

medicdave

Blackhawk
Little closer, spacers are bonded and shaping up nicely. The left panel has a bit more work done and you can see the g10 showing a bit more definition than the right. Pretty happy the g10 isn't as bright as it is on the flat surface If these work out nice I may use them rather than starting from scratch again. The grip frame is a bit proud making the black look thinner in the pictures but that will be handled with some file time when the grips are done.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Spacer matched to grips all around. Looks good so far so grips are being bonded to the spacers and curing over night. Next will be filing the oversized frame down to mater to the grips.

Much better fit at the mainframe and top of the grip frame. Spaced out enough to stand proud of the sharp edges but not enough to get into the notches for the old model frame.

Wouldn't be a normal post in this thread without a hijack so.... Took advantage of the nice weather and broke the barrel in on my sons first centerfire rifle, a Kimber Montana in .223. Damn shame these Kimbers don't shoot for beans but they sure are light. This one as you see it is just over 6lbs scoped with a Vx-3 2.5-8x36mm. Little squirrely on the first 5 shots in the center group then settled right in to 1/4" groups. This was with factory fiochhi 50gr vmaxs. Little work on the hand loads should tighten her up a bit. He turned 5 months old today so I have a little time to get the rifle squared away. :p

oldlongbeard

Single-Sixer
Dave- Blued Spring Steel might look kewl, if you wanted another spacer choice. We have .06" thick stuff wire-burned sometimes for gauges at work, and I have been thinking it would make superb spacer material. The G10 looks good, too!!

Regards,
Greg

medicdave

Blackhawk
Headed back overseas and my brother is futzing around with some other projects. Got a package in the mail today and he sent me some pictures.

I've mentioned before I'm a fan of h.c.leather as a holster maker. He runs an online shop on eBay and only makes threepersons holsters but as you should beware the man with one gun, keep an eye out for a holster maker with one design, he knows how to make it. His prices are very reasonable, the quality is impeccable, and I'd put his work up agains anyone. Just a great all around field holster.

Also in the pictures you can see the completed grips a bit better. The black and red really pop with the two colors of leather used in the holster. Little fitting to the grip frame and a good polish of grips and frame will really make the spacers pop without being gawdy.