Clark Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Very good day. Picked up Clark MKI. Gun is solid 99%. I can't find a scratch. Serial number puts it at 1962 manufacture. Got home in time to shoot it. No barrel lift. Just soft push to rear. Came with 3 mags and 2 1/4 x 7 Redfield EER scope. Can anyone tell me how good the scope is. Can't wait to go to range this weekend. Any idea what it is worth? Barrel is stamped J.E.Clark Shreveport La.
IMGP0889.jpg
[/img]

John K

Bearcat
WOW! That is a nice pistol.
I can't say anything about the scope, since I do not know, but I like the pistol.

contender

Ruger Guru
That whole package is a good one. The gun could have very well been done by Jim himself. And the scope is a good one as well.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Definitely worth whatever is costs to replace that package. And some history, as Jim Clark could indeed have built that very gun.Their barrels and trigger work are the best in the industry, and Clarkguns did/does things the right way.

But I'm guessing it will make a great hunting pistol for you and your offspring, for decades to come. Can't put a dollar figure on that.

Nice gun, Clark guns are awesome shooters...I'm a bit confused as to 'why' a 2.5x-7x power variable scope would be on a bullseye gun....maybe the guy wanted to "head shot " squirrels at LONG distances....imagine the "shake" and trying to keep the crosshairs on a B3 bulleseye target at 50 feet...oh my...reminds me of my late unckle with the 'dts'........me, I'd put some sort of red dot optic on there, handgun scope will not work well after about 1.5 or 2 x, too jumpy.....but oh well, there must have been a 'reason'...and the customer is "always right..." :roll: :roll:

Pinecone

Blackhawk
rugerguy, It may be that ole' "adage", me thinks I wan't "that", but "that" turns out to be not really what they wanted!.....................Dick :wink:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Scope is definetly jumpy at 7x. I have only plinked with it in the backyard. I hope to get to the range this weekend. I really don't shoot scopes I like iron sights. So I am not to knowledgable about scopes. But if I put a red dot on it will that be as accurate as a scope with crosshairs? What would be a good target scope to put on it. I really don't like the physical size of the scope on the pistol.

no problem with any 'optic' as to "cross hairs" some liek the traditionla, some like the post, etc,,,,but its when one "magnifies" ( puts power) to a 'long eye relief' scope like the one you have and I know of few that could possibly hold the gun steady enough, at arms length, in bullesyes shooting, and the scope does NOT dance around , ala 'St Vitus' dance....jumps, wiggle, call it what you will, but nothing over 1 or 1.5 x can the average human hold out at arms length and KEEP the focal point ( crosshairs) on target...two guys come to mind, both were power lifters, had grips like a vise and arms like Arnold "used" to have, and they too had a hard time keeping one of those scopes "steady"...... a scope, little or no power, crosshairs ONLY or a red dot (internal) will do the job....yes, some like the "added" weight that a scope or larger optic gives them, but you can do the same thing by taping a roll of nickels under the barrel,,,,,and cheaper too....just MY .02 cents..do and use what works for you.
exactly what 'pinecone' stated above, the customer probably "thought " thats what he needed, until he got it, and actually tried it............
bottom line, still a great lokign and most likely a fine shooting gun, the Clark guns always were, optic or no optic...I used 'iron sights'......