Chuck wagon food

Help Support Ruger Forum:

6GUNSONLY

Hunter
I was craving some good southwest style grub today so I slow cooked a pot of frijole beans with onions n peppers, made homemade tortillas, and fried up some whitetail tenderloin. Forgot to thaw out some fresh-frozen green chile but I'll have that tomorrow with the leftovers.
IMG 20220514 201452525

Last edited:
I got up early this morning, did my workout, showered, had a snack and took a nap. Got back up and have been working on a dirty nasty welding repair for about 4 hours straight and took a break to sit in the AC and eat my salad for lunch. Decide to look at the computer while eating my rabbit food and came across this thread......you've ruined my salad.....I'm reporting that picture to the mods!

6GUNSONLY

Hunter
Sorry Dave, I probably shoulda been eating a salad, too. But come on by and I'll fix ya a plate.

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
As a Texan of hispanic( read: Mexican) descent, I am qualified to make a decision regarding your cooking abilities…. Please give 5 days notice next time, and I will offer my services for free… please remember to include a 2nd trip through the feed line😁😁😁😇😇😇

6GUNSONLY

Hunter
I say frijole beans to distinguish pintos from other types of beans. Here in the South, if you just say beans, most people think of white beans.
My tortillas are really simple- flour, cut in the shortening, add water or milk (I use about half of each) to make dough. Divide into ping pong ball size balls, cover with a clean dish towel and let sit for 30 minutes or more. Roll out and brown very lightly on a cast iron griddle. My son gave us a little cast iron tortilla press a while back, and it helps my 'tilllas come out rounder instead of shaped like the state of Texas, as they tend to do when I roll them out by hand.
Now I haven't tackled the corn tortilla thing yet - but I may some day.
Mexican Joe you're welcome anytime, but I do have an in-house quality inspector - my wife, a 4th generation New Mexico native and a fine cook herself. She was gone this weekend when I cooked the beans and tortillas but had some last night when she got home and placed her seal of approval on them.

Latest posts