Chuck Stapel Knives

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBio

Buckeye
I was asked about a knife I had in a photo in the "Classifieds" section. It was made by a buddy of mine named Chuck Stapels. Chuck is now deceased but learned much of his skills from Bob Egnath. Chuck made knives for several big movies including "Quigley Down Under", "Django Unchained" and "Cowboys and Aliens".

Chuck would make two knives for the local Chapter of Quail Unlimited (I was Chairman of the Board) and donate them to us each year. One, we would raffle and one we would auction (Chuck kept half of the proceeds on the auctioned knife). The funds would be parlayed through agreements with the Forest Service and the L.A. County Fish and Game Commission (i.e. cost-share agreements) and converted into habitat improvements in the form of "guzzlers" ("water holes").

Each year Chuck would also donate a knife or two for the Dub Taylor Celebrity Clays Shoot. You could pay $100 and shoot with your favorite celebrity on a sporting clays team. Chuck always had some babe on his arm like one of the Mandrell sisters or Leslie Easterbrook (from Police Academy). Met people like Phil Spangenberger (a real d=== head) or Lou Ferrigno (a great guy) or Robert Stack (another great guy) through him. Well worth working in the sun as a volunteer each summer.

A Ruger with a Chuck Stapel knife. A Bob Egnath scrimmed elk.

Python and a Stapel stag-handled knife:

Here's a boot knife with mammoth ivory:

My wife's "bear gun" (41 Blackhawk) with another Stapel stag. She now has a rose-scrimmed Stapel that sort matches her pistol:

Right now, there is a guy on E-Bay who is selling Chuck's remaining stock from his estate. Prices aren't too bad. I'll try to get some picks this weekend and post a couple more.

Also: One of Chuck's little quirks was that he firmly felt that cooking/eating utensils affected the flavor of food, so he always carries his own, hand-made silverware with him!

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Yes, I requested and you have responded in great form and quantity. Marvelous blades! Reminds me of my dear and late Friend, John Fuchs, Rochester, Mn...........Some of his works are similar to those you pictured, and, I have some 21 of his knives..........These Makers and their works are simply magical to me. Thanks so very much for sharing. 8)

Joe S.

Hunter
I regret i never got any of his knives when he would show them off on Facebook. Although we never met in person, he seemed like a really nice guy and I hated to hear of his passing.

I looked on Ebay and only saw 4 remaining. None are really my style though. I love that boot knife!

BearBio

Buckeye
Here's another picture of my wife's 41 with her matching knife:

This knife has an interesting story. When a kid, Chuck asked the class beauty to the prom. She said "yes" but stood him up at the last minute. He had taken her a rose and threw it in a dumpster. His mom got it out of the dumpster and put it on his bed. He made the original knife to memorialize this (this is a copy of that first knife).