Chrysler town & country? Any good?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
2008 with around 100K on it.

Just looking for input. My van died so need something to drive my kids around.

History is 2001 Olds Silhouette (dead in garage, bad trans and rad), 2001 Pontiac Montana (bought after 1998 died but resold because it was the "mini"), 1998 Olds Silhouette (died / fixed / died again / fixed again and sold)

eveled

Hunter
Nothing wrong with the Chrylser, still it is just a Caravan, with bells and whistles. So don't overpay.

I looked at the new ones, and was not impressed. Went against my grain, but ended up with a Kia Sedonna. The thing is awesome! Now to see how long it lasts.

roylt

Hunter
The olds is great but this is the third one I've had and they don't make this style anymore. The dodge / Chrysler seats look small and unsafe compared to the nice leather in my olds.

A new Honda would be great but can't afford that.

This one I'm looking at is a coworkers moms. She want to upgrade to 4x4 for the winters. Looking at $6Kish

vito

Hunter
The Town and Country has been known to be prone to transmission problems for the last 10 or 15 years. Not sure if Chrysler ever found and fixed the problem.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Just my opinion, but remember, you did ask for it. Personally, I would look for something with considerably less miles.

roylt

Hunter
It is a money thing.
I drive very few miles so once I get a vehicle it is low use.

This last van I have had about a year and drove it about 11 months (down time to fix) put on around 5800 miles.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Sounds like a good deal especially if it hasn't been abused. Pretty dependable Minivan. :D

roylt

Hunter
I just talked to the guy I work with and he is trying to get out of the middle. I will talk to his father in law at some point but probably not until next week. Original owner and he said his father in law is real good at maintaining vehicles. The only thing I worry about is at 100K the timing belt should be changed. Better check to see what that would run as it might be needed soon.

Thanks for the input. With my current money flow I think it sounds like a good deal. I have not see or driven it yet though.

RonT

Buckeye
I junked mine after it needed a new transmission for a SECOND TIME.

m657

Buckeye
I agree many rigs go far beyond the 100,000 mile mark.

I used to make 'em squeal just as long as I could squeeze 'em hard enough to do such.

Several decades of such discipline got me to the opinion, that I'd rather pay the banker for a new model than the mechanic for an older one.

Usually.

roylt

Hunter
Well, baby steps I guess. An 08 with 100K on the clock is an upgrade to me. 7 years newer and 50K less miles. I would really look at something new but right now it doesn't fit. I need a roof on the house and my property taxes are due this month. First things first for sure.

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
I would not buy anyting from that brand. We have owned both a dodge and a plymouth van and both were junk. I would not expect crysler to be any different. Find yourself a use Toyota Sienna and you will never regret it. TD

Harvey

Bearcat
Personally, the worse car that I have ever owned was a Dodge. My brother and father bought Chryslers, and had many problems with them. Chrysler quality, and I believe Fiat also, is simply not good. Suggest Kia, Honda or Toyota minivans. Needless to say, I, and also my family, have never purchased Chrysler products again.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Buy a used Toyota Sienna if you want a reliable van that will go 250,000 miles with minimal repairs.

Forget that chrysler junk ... they have no resale value which is why they appeal to low budget shoppers. With 100k ... its probably about 5k away from a $3000 trans job, and it'll never be right afterwards either. Dont say nobody warned you.

Pay upfront for quality and reliability or pay later repairing junk over and over again.

Sounds like you had great luck with those GM's also :roll:

I think the chryslers have timing CHAINS ... not belts ... which dont require replacement ...not positive though.

REV

roylt

Hunter
A used toyota is closer to $10K. I doubt I can swing that.

I have stopped looking at gun sites completely and am slowing my visits here to try and get guns off my mind.

It wouldn't be so bad but I need a roof on the house too. Emergency fund is stretched. Single dad life is hard but I'll figure something out. Could be a lot worse. My ex just screwed my weekend plans up too but I end up with the kids this weekend so that is a big plus.

Latest posts