Chrony Recommendation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cary

Single-Sixer
Iron Mike Golf":132eb5w2 said:
So I'm shopping for a chrony. Which ones do you folks like and why?

Thanks for your help.
Jeff,
Have you decided what features you are looking for in the chrony you get? Here are a few to consider.

1. Printing capabilities
2. Amount of memory for shot strings
3. Ability to interface with a computer for down load of information.
4. Do you want computer software to support the Chronograph data.
5. Portability of the unit.
6. Usability for inside and outside use.
7. Do you want a remote read out on the bench or just one on the unit?
8. Type of bullet sensors? infared or optical
9. How much do you want to spend on one?

There are probably more that could be listed but these may help to narrow the choice some for you and help others with the information they give you. With all that being said I have had one of the Shooting Chrony units for several years now and I like it. I bought the Gamma Master unit with the remote read out and the printer. It also came with their Chrony Ballistics Software as well. You can down load the data from the unit and use the software with it if you want depending how much of a computer guy you are. Here is a link to the unit on the Midway site.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=331656
I have had minimal problems with the unit giving me consistent read outs while using it. I know some report problems with this but I haven't had them with my unit. I always use the sky screens and place the unit at least 12-15 feet away from the muzzle of the gun. I also level the unit with a bubble level before I use it. I use a tripod and the unit is very stable. I like having the print out to take home with me and record. I also like the remote read out right on my shooting bench. The unit folds up for transport and is very compact. The unit has a 500 shot memory as well which is plenty for me. Early on I shot one of the support rods for the sky screens and had to send the unit back for repair. I was very satisfied with their customer service. Midway USA carries 5 different brands of Chronographs and some brands offer several different models so I know your choice is not easy. Take time to do your research and ask all the questions you want.
Cary

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I have an Oheler,, but they no longer sell them to the open market,, due to costs. I love mine,, and if I had to replace mine,, I'd look for another one just like it.
However,,, several folks are enjoying the others out there,, and I've not heard bad stuff about any of them.
One thing that helps secure accurate readings,, a chrony box that keeps consistent light on the skyscreens. It makes all the differences in the world.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Jeff,

I purchased a Shooting Chrony F1 Master Chronograph in Nov. of '08. I got it on sale for $86. I believe they now run ~$100 from midway.

It is one of the les expensive chronographs but still has the remote display. It doesn't do anything fancy, simply shows you the fps of the shot.

I shoot, it displays the velocity, I write the velocities down on paper and then dump them into an excel spreadsheet when i get home and let the spreadsheet do all my calculations. or i'll have a calculator with me at the range and i'll calculate whatever stats i want to there if i'm feeling antsy.

I have yet to have a single error occur with MY unit. I have not compared it to another chronograph so I can't say exactly how accurate it may be. However, the velocities it gives me are what I would expect to see. It's very easy to use. I simply mount it to a tripod i purchased from Wal-mart. the tripod has a couple of "levels" on it that i use to square up everything.

whatever you get, I highly recomend the remote display unit.

i'm not suggesting this is the best, but it has met my needs and served me well for the relatively short time i've owned it. I really enjoy having one of these. it doesn't make me shoot any better, it just adds to my enjoyment of this hobby.

my only experience with durability.........the wind blew over the unit and tripod once. it still works as far as i can tell and seems accurate.

I really need to hook up with somebody (or a few folks) that has a chrony and run my loads over both units on the same day just to see how my unit compares.

here's a link to this product.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=688064

~c.r.

Coogs

Maximum
From the research I did on the net, as well as the customer feedback on the individual units at Midway, my Millenium 2 is being shipped as we speak. So I'll let you know. The light/weather can be an issue from what I understand, so I added the infra-red skyscreens as well. Coogs.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
"Shooting Chrony" is the only one I've used, had it about 4 years. It's withstood thousands of muzzleblasts 3 feet from the muzzle. It's so splattered with bullet lube, it's hard to read! Guess I'll have to get a printer for it eventually. Fits perfectly in a .30 cal ammo can and has rattled around in the jeep thousands of miles. Guess what I'm saying is "they take a lickin and keep on tickin" !! FWIW :wink:

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Thanks for the input. I am thinking that downloading to a laptop and feeding into some sort of software package would be real good. I want to use it indoors and outdoors.

What's the difference in performance between IR and optical (which I assume means uses visible light for sensing)?

Printing is not so important if I am hooked up to a laptop. I tried to download the trial of RSI Shooting Lab, but never got the download email.

GP100man

Buckeye
I have a shootin chrony & put it in a big square trash can with the bottom cut out to keep consistent light over the sensors !

I just ran my first battery down & that was an experience in itself!!

Cary

Single-Sixer
Iron Mike Golf":1kaq2g1y said:
Thanks for the input. I am thinking that downloading to a laptop and feeding into some sort of software package would be real good. I want to use it indoors and outdoors.

What's the difference in performance between IR and optical (which I assume means uses visible light for sensing)?

Printing is not so important if I am hooked up to a laptop. I tried to download the trial of RSI Shooting Lab, but never got the download email.
From information supplied by the manufacturers and users the IR units perform better inside compaired to the optical which uses a light sensitive photo eye. The optical units do not respond well to fluorescent lighting which may be used at a lot of indoor shooting ranges. The Shooting Chrony units can be adapted with an LED Array in place of the sky screens. Here is a link to the LED Array for them.
http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_newproducts.htm
It looks like your thinking your way through the choices at hand.
Cary

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Cary":38eql2l0 said:
Cary

I sure am trying to! And I am following the advice my lovely wife always gives me when making a big purchase: "Don't try to save money by underbuying."

So I want to be sure I get one that I will be happy with for a good while.

So, either IR or I need a separate light source. Remote display, laptop connection with analysis software.

What about battery type and battery life?

Cary

Single-Sixer
Iron Mike Golf":278jlpy1 said:
Cary":278jlpy1 said:
Cary

I sure am trying to! And I am following the advice my lovely wife always gives me when making a big purchase: "Don't try to save money by underbuying."

So I want to be sure I get one that I will be happy with for a good while.

So, either IR or I need a separate light source. Remote display, laptop connection with analysis software.

What about battery type and battery life?
Jeff,
I'm not sure about the other brands of Chronographs as far as battery requirements. You can probably find out on the Midway USA site or access the manufacturers web sites. My Shooting Chrony operates on a single 9 volt battery.
Cary

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
Iron Mike Golf":19esl9m4 said:
How long does your battery last you?

Just a suggestion - no matter what type of battery your new chronograph takes IMG, and no matter how long it lasts, I found out it's a good idea to keep a spare battery inside the chronograph.
I drove down to our shooting range (the county gravel pit) a couple of years ago, set up my targets, my portable shooting bench, my chronograph stand, and the chronograph itself. But when I went to switch the chronograph on, I discovered I'd left it on the last time I'd used it. :evil: So, I had to take everything down, drive back to the house (a 5 mile trip) get a new battery out of the "junk" drawer, drive back to the gravel pit, and set things up all over again. :evil:
Since then I've carried a spare battery inside the chronograph. I can't answer your question though. My chronographs still works with the battery I had to drive back to the house for 2 years ago. But I only use my chronograph about once per month for an hour or so. I guess if I used it more, the battery would wear out quicker. But when it DOES wear out, I've got a spare inside. :lol:

Cary

Single-Sixer
Sharp Shooter +1

I think the battery in mine is the original. I also keep a backup battery in the case for my chronograph. Unless you use one a lot battery useage is not a concern. I always use good quality batteries as battery leakage is as much a concern for me as battery life.
Cary

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I hear you on the battery leakage issue. It souinds like I can expect multiple hours of use. I was wondering if there are models that eat batteries like candy or something. Yeah, keeping a spare with the unit is a great idea. Thanks for that tip.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I have a CED Millennium w/ IR. The battery pack for the IR screens will need charging long before the battery for chronograph itself. It also has an AC adapter if you use it where power is available. I am in the habit of just using the IR screens every time and don't worry about lighting/changing light conditions. I charge it the day before and carry a spare battery for the unit itself. I also marked the cable so I have a consistent distance from the bench. I pack a 22 pistol to make sure I'm getting good readings before I start. It's been a good unit.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I am leaning towards the Millenium. Thanks for the info, Sam. Marking the cable is a good tip, too. Have you used it indoors? The indoor range where I expect to use it has fluorescent lights. Will I need to make a light shield or does the IR take care of that without needing to shield from the flickering fluorescents?

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I wholeheartedly suggest the Chrony Beta Master (don't reverse the terms, it sounds a little dirty... Master-Beta ;) ). It's the one I have. It's got the remote view panel/brain so you don't have to squint through binocs to view on a busy range day.

Of course, I must warn about my experience. Mine developed a slight "flutter" on the first day I used it. Can't quite figure out what's wrong with it...

0819091655.jpg

Yep, pulled a low shot with my SP101 and drove a 125gr JHP through it.

This brings up the other benefit of the Beta Master. It's a $50.00 replacement of the chasis and not $120 to replace the whole unit.

Aqualung

Latest posts