Chrome (Stainless) grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chance

Buckeye
Picked this NM chrome [stainless] grip frame up at a gun show a couple of years ago and just found it again going through a box of stuff. On the right side of the casting it says XR 3, but XR3-Red grips fit. Pics also show G and 481 scratched in the upper forward area, also on the right side. It came with the factory rosewoods shown.

Is this from Ruger or aftermarket and any guesses as to what it might be worth?[just the frame without grips]

Thanks

ChroGripFrame043.jpg

ChroGripFrame033.jpg

ChroGripFrame032.jpg

ChroGripFrame018.jpg

ChroGripFrame019.jpg

Sugar River

Buckeye
What led you to believe it's chromed? That "K" in the circle is Ruger's way of indicating a stainless part. They do that to tell them apart from the Chromoly because the raw castings all look the same (shiny).

Pete

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Chance,
my first guess is also stainless. However, if you're after chrome, I reckon you can polish this little guy up to an incredible shine.

Those scribed numbers you mentioned......."481", could be the last 3 digits of the serial # of the gun that the grip frame actually came with. Stainless and chromoly grip frames are fitted to each individual cylinder frame. I reckon having the grip frame (and cylinder) numbered to the cylinder frame makes sure that once the parts are fitted and then disassemble for finishing, it makes it easier to match the correct parts back together.

As far as price goes, I don't have a clue......Sorry.........however your piece looks to be in great condition.

~c.r.

street

Hunter
I think that grip frame came off of a New Model Super Blackhawk with the 4 5/8 in. or 5 1/2 in. Barrel. I'm not sure but I think I am right on this.

Chance

Buckeye
Sugar River":og5lgta7 said:
What led you to believe it's chromed? That "K" in the circle is Ruger's way of indicating a stainless part.Pete

I plead senility, this gettin' old's not all is cracked up to be. I knew perfectly well it is stainless and don't have a clue why I wrote all that chrome stuff.

And, yes it is like new , but I don't understand why it is marked XR 3 while it obviously isn"t.

Do you think it is factory since it has Rugers K mark.

Chance

Buckeye
Okay, did what should have been done first and checked the Stainless ROA in the safe. Sure enough, while the grip frames are from different generations the markings are about the same, showing the K XR 3 with XR3-Red grips attached.

ChroGripFrame056.jpg

slippingaway

Blackhawk
c.r.":2xdchy5y said:
Chance,
my first guess is also stainless. However, if you're after chrome, I reckon you can polish this little guy up to an incredible shine.

Those scribed numbers you mentioned......."481", could be the last 3 digits of the serial # of the gun that the grip frame actually came with. Stainless and chromoly grip frames are fitted to each individual cylinder frame. I reckon having the grip frame (and cylinder) numbered to the cylinder frame makes sure that once the parts are fitted and then disassemble for finishing, it makes it easier to match the correct parts back together.

As far as price goes, I don't have a clue......Sorry.........however your piece looks to be in great condition.

~c.r.

My Blackhawk Bisley has the last three of the serial number engraved into the grip frame, in the exact same area as this one is engraved

Chance

Buckeye
You're probably right Street. The grip frame was originally purchased to go on my sons 7 1/2 Super but the hammer strut didn't fit. I then tried it on my 4 5/8 Super and everything went right together. Been sitting in a box on the workbench ever since.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Could've come off any vintage New Model stainless Blackhawk, shorty Super or Single Six. Definitely a takeoff as the little pin that holds the legs of the trigger return spring is missing. It is indeed the XR3-RED pattern but Ruger, in their infinite wisdom, chose to stamp them XR3. Sometimes I think they're just messin' with us. ;)

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Chance":1h07bh85 said:
I plead senility, this gettin' old's not all is cracked up to be. I knew perfectly well it is stainless and don't have a clue why I wrote all that chrome stuff.

Don't sweat it. In the local online classified where I found my recently purchased stainless Vaquero, the seller had it listed as a "Beautiful Nickle Vaqueor" (sic). Of course, not only was it not "Nickle," it wasn't even Nickel, but I knew what he meant. :D