chosing a 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Yosemite Sam":25whvjcm said:
This "staged" production of guns is driving me nuts. In the last year I've looked for several pieces that were just simply unavailable. I canceled an order for a Sig Elite P228 after waiting for 6+ weeks. New Buckmarks weren't available for the longest time, over a year for some models. It's crazy making. Especially when you have no patience, like me... :D

-- Sam
Well, I'm used to it, having built most of my S&W and Colt collection back in the '70s, when long waits were the norm, and I often ended up having to buy used in the end anyway. To this day it's always a surprise to me to find a gun I want actually in stock somewhere, or even available for order fulfillment within, say, two weeks.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
For me the longest wait ever was the rifle I knew could shoot into 2 inch circle at 400 yards every time.

I did a little better with the one I waited on.

It will be mine as long as I am me and then it will be passed down and I will come back from the dead to haunt the family member that can't get that accuracy out of it. :D

tk

OmegaMan

Bearcat
I will also throw my hat to the Dan Wesson CBOB, it is the best lookin 1911 out there and the most "bang for the buck." Total tack-driver as well.

Here are my target pistols; a Colt Gold Cup MKIV National Match and a Sig X-Five.

- OmegaMan

Colt-Right.jpg

Group1.jpg

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
OM, nice guns! Both of them! I thought about one of those X-5s real hard for a while. And if I get another "nice" 1911 some day, it'll likely be a Gold Cup.

Unfortunately, in my recent research back into the platform I discovered DW is no longer selling the CBOB. It's listed as discontinued, in any case, replaced by the "V-BOB" in the Valor line, with an MSRP of over $2200. The CBOB was right around $1K. That's quite a jump. Seems CZ (DW's parent company) is very proud of their pistols lately, with $1200 SP01s, $800 CZ75-Ds, etc. Must be that dollar thing...

-- Sam

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Yosemite Sam":30werl4p said:
OM, nice guns! Both of them! I thought about one of those X-5s real hard for a while. And if I get another "nice" 1911 some day, it'll likely be a Gold Cup.

Unfortunately, in my recent research back into the platform I discovered DW is no longer selling the CBOB. It's listed as discontinued, in any case, replaced by the "V-BOB" in the Valor line, with an MSRP of over $2200. The CBOB was right around $1K. That's quite a jump. Seems CZ (DW's parent company) is very proud of their pistols lately, with $1200 SP01s, $800 CZ75-Ds, etc. Must be that dollar thing...

-- Sam

I think that dollar thing is going to hit a lot of us.

The base CZ SP-01 is $703 MSRP now, a jump of about $35 from last year.

They have changed their target line, more features, so all those have gone up even more.

The CZ's are made overseas, so the dollar would have an effect.

I did see that DW discontinued a bunch of their pistols for this year and really jacked up the price on the Valor line.
Aren't the DW's made in Arizona, why the big jump?

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
I've been pleased with my 2 Springfield 1911s over the years. I'm not a competition shooter but carry many days my Micro Operator.

Micro Operator

SpringfieldArmory1911microoperator.jpg

Older Springfield Defender
SpringfieldArmory1911Defender45ACP.jpg

APEXDUCK

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":1l8hqagz said:
I've had a SA Mil-Spec (lower end) on order for about 'ever and still no word on a due date.

That's a bummer Cheese, I can walk into a shop locally and have my pick of about 12 different Springfields sitting on the shelf right now. Just looked at some last Sunday. THere were no milspecs, but several assorted GI's and about 6 various Loadeds. Dealers here in PA seem to be nicer, better, cheaper, and more well stocked than dealers elsewhere from what I've heard here on the forum.

REV

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
revhigh":ouizsumy said:
Yosemite Sam":ouizsumy said:
Seems CZ (DW's parent company) is very proud of their pistols lately, with $1200 SP01s, $800 CZ75-Ds, etc. Must be that dollar thing...

-- Sam

$1200 SP01's ????

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/21613

CZ75D's for $800 ??

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/21636

Geez Sam, you must be going to rugerlovah's dealer ....

REV
My mistake(s). The "$1200 model" I saw is a CZ-75 Tactical Sport with a MSRP of $1338 ($1164 at my dealer). The "$800 model" is the CZ-97BD (.45 ACP) with a MSRP of $873 ($810 at my dealer).

The point is, CZs used to be good, cheap guns. Now they're just another good, but expensive gun. Why would I buy a CZ-97BD over a Sig P220? Why would I buy a CZ-75 TS as opposed to a Sig P228 Elite? Their (CZs) finishes aren't even that nice! Well, maybe they are now, and that's why their guns are $200 or so more than they were 2 years ago.

(Yes, I realize I'm looking at high end CZs, and they do make cheaper models. Still, $1200 isn't exactly cheap.)

As for Dan Wesson, I think they just let success go to their head. They're making a real nice pistol, and based on forum feedback, they know it. I guess we need more Armscor/RIA/Charles Dalys, etc, to produce guns most people can actually afford.

-- Sam

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Sam,

You can still get a very nice CZ75B for right around $500 delivered, and the 97's have always been around $600 or so delivered. I don't think they were EVER 'cheap' in price, brand new. I'd say right about average along with Glocks, and M&P's and XD's. THey've always been right in that category's price range. I bought my used 75B for $300 OTD LNIB, but without the box :D.

I think apples to apples, CZ STILL represents the most out of the box accuracy that can be found in a production 9MM. The ergonomics are spectacular, it's a real metal gun, and there are no skeletons in the CZ75's closets.

The 97's are very nice, excellent shooters, but BIG.

By the way, their 'polycoat' finishes, while not the prettiest because they just look like they were painted with really thick paint (LOL), are durable as all hell. I'm really rough with mine, and it exhibits no wear whatsoever. Sweat doesn't phase it, water doesn't phase it, and you can practically clean it with a garden hose, much like a Glock, only the CZ's finish is more like a thick enamel. I LOVE their polycoat finish. I also LOVE their Stainless finish, but I'm a lot more careful with it than with the polycoat.

REV