Chevrolet Will Void Owner's Warranty If They Flip Corvette Z06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Huh .

Kind of hypocritical , when dealers routinely jack up the prices of high demand vehicles with " ADM ( Additional Dealer Markup ) " , and " Market Price Adjustments " for all the market will bear .

That tarnishes Them a lot , because it's the business practices of the actual dealers . Most people can understand the difference between Dealer policies , and private owners acting in their own capacity .

RSIno1

Hunter
So what they are saying their 3+ year warranty is only for the first owner if they sell if before a year. I think the FTC will have something to say about it since it's a warranty on a product. As far as banning the buyer/seller from future deals there is no problem with that.
I'm certain the after market "hello I'm calling about you vehicle warranty" crowd will pick up the slack.
When you bought a Ford GT you signed a contract that you would keep it for 24 months. Cena sold his before that time. It didn't effect the warranty on the car. The whole 3rd gen Ford GT rollout was BS Ford sold them mainly to internet influencers who put in to get one based on the paycheck the car would bring after 2 years. There were a few well known "Ford guys" who got one. A guy I know was on the list but didn't have the money. That was easy he sold the car before he ordered it for $1,000,000. Bought and paid for the car and in 2 years the new owner will be able to take his already signed and dated pinkslip to DMV and put the car in his name.
The big problem I see is with the Tesla accessories. You can buy many electronic add ons for your Tesla. After you sell the car Tesla has been going back in and removing the addons saying it was only a license for the original purchaser. But you paid more for the car because it had those add ons.
Bottom line flipping doesn't damage the brand - if anything it boosts it because the perceived value is higher than the sale price. Would you pay $100,000 for something that was worth $50,000? The manufacturers are just sorry they aren't in the profit stream.
Ford is planning on getting rid of it's dealers and selling cars only online at a set price. I wonder if they will set up a bid process for the rare ones or if Joe driver will be able to get one by just checking the box without sending in his YouTube bona fides.

Last edited:

hpman66

Hunter
I could see “wrong doing” if the dealership sold cars exclusively to their “selected buyers” and then kept the profits after the car was resold the second time.

gunzo

Buckeye
A tough business environment these days. I'm not judging, just observing.
Milt Sparks holsters, hard to get, long wait. And if you get get caught selling new MS holsters on Ebay, you'll never be allowed to order their holsters again.
Not singling them out, just an example of how flipping is dealt with in other markets.

Is GM wrong? Tough call these days. But bet we ain't seen the last of it!!! Interesting times.

I think Ford does the same thing. Maybe others too.

True but that is a totally different thing. The GT is handbuilt, and only around 250 per year are built (maybe more now- I don't know for sure). You have to be nominated to even be considered for the $600,000 car, and then be interviewed and have people testify to your character. You can't just go order one and pay for it like you can a Vette. A guy I know sold insurance his whole life. I thought he just survived like all of us, until I received an invitation from Ford to see him take delivery of his new (back in 2020) GT that he has saved for, invested for and applied for. I am happy for him, even though I couldn't pay that for a car even if I did have that kind of money. It was his dream.

Attachments

• FBFD97A9-913A-4310-8E27-F0ED2C152263.jpeg
    FBFD97A9-913A-4310-8E27-F0ED2C152263.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • B9782075-A78B-4DC2-A880-3D9490C1D722.jpeg
    B9782075-A78B-4DC2-A880-3D9490C1D722.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • AE2C8677-B66C-41D2-8317-BB4B55FD14CD.jpeg
    AE2C8677-B66C-41D2-8317-BB4B55FD14CD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • C10E580F-108E-4FF6-A787-E145F832D0D4.jpeg
    C10E580F-108E-4FF6-A787-E145F832D0D4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Why is everyone, particularly car mfgs suddenly acting shocked and surprised ? Market Adjustments , and ADM have been happening for decades for certain in demand models . All that's changed is some of the $ a amounts .

Supply\ Demand . Something is worth exactly what a willing buyer is willing to pay , at that time and that place

Slightly oversimplified , a car seller has two options : Sell their finite supply for its true market value . Sell for MSRP and write off the difference as advertising and good will building with their buying public . Splitting the difference will still earn them hate and leave $ on the table .

Added - IF they are going to be sold for actual value , this would actually be the fair way to do it . Dealer has their $ number in mind they want to open with . Put it right upfront in black & white for everyone to see , and they can decide if worth it to them . Better than under the table payoffs to sales managers , and Dealer Installed $20K " paint sealant " .

Last edited:

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
The big issue I have with dealer ADM is when it is tacked on to a custom order. You walk in to the dealer, place an order for vehicle X, agree to a price with a hand shake (they typically won't sign a binding contract for stated price), wait for 1-2 years for order to be built, then when it finally arrives the dealer hits you with a $15k-$30k "market adjustment". That is flat wrong and should be illegal. They can do what they want with dealer stock, but a custom order should be off limits to these practices.

RC44Mag

Bearcat
I wanted the new Shelby Mustang when it was reintroduced back in the mid 2000’s. Went to the Ford dealer I had previously bought a Mustang GT from the dealer owner. We were on good terms and so I figured he’d do a fair job at getting me one. So, I talked to him and right away he said, sure Dennis you’re good to go, they’ll be coming in about 6 months and I’ll call you then. I was quite happy leaving the dealer.
Fast forward about six months and I get a call from Dan. He says, good news they’re coming in soon and your on the list. I said great now what? He said, you’re on the list for the auction. We’re auctioning off the two or three Shelby’s that we‘ll be getting. I’m trying to keep my cool and ask him how many on bidders on list, he said about 20.
I lost my cool and blasted him with both barrels. I’m my saltiest Navy language I told him where I stood with him and his business practices And hung up. Within a couple days I drove off the lot at my local Chevy dealer in my brand new C6 Corvette( a little below list) and never to looked back.
By the way, That Ford dealer went belly up within 2 years.
I don’t play those gouging games with any company’s including guns, ammo like CTD and cars ( McCarville Ford).

Latest posts