Check your .45 Colt Auto Magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
This week one of my sons brought his Colt 45 Auto to let me see a problem. Everyone here may be interested.

In 1954, at my discharge from the USAF I purchased the Colt 45 Auto that had been issued to me while on duty. Since I had and have always preferred a revolver, I never used the Auto as a civilian. In 1970 I gave the Colt to one of my sons, who has owned and carried it from that time to now.

Over the years my son has used many brands of .45 Colt ACP Ammo, shooting a lot, with no problem until now. It is his regular carry gun, openly carried in Colorado. Today he showed me two new 45 Colt Auto magazines that he recently purchased, stamped "MADE in ITALY - Pachmay" that he purchased from Midway.

Both Pachmay magazines load Ball Ammo, into the gun chamber just as his original Colt 45 Auto magazines do. He has used the Colt magazines, all these years, has loaded and properly used them to fire every brand of .45 Auto cartridge used.

My son stated that the new Pachmay magazines properly load and work fine with ball ammo but the first and every time he has loaded Hornady Critical Defense cartridges in the Pachmay magazines, the pistol cannot load that cartridge from the magazine into the chamber to fire. In fact every time the slide tries to load a Hornady Critical Defense cartridge into the chamber, it always jams. He has never been able to load a Critical Defense cartridge from the magazine into the gun's chamber.

When I tried to load a Critical Defense cartridge from the Pachmay magazine into the gun chamber I too got a jam that required a tool to get the cartridge out so that I could even remove the magazine.

In my own hands, the Colt 45 Auto magazines handled the Hornady Critical Defense cartridges perfectly, as they did every other brand of cartridge used over the years. The Pachmay magazines also handled the Ball cartridges perfectly in my own hands.

It is obvious that anyone purchasing any new magazines for a Colt 45 Auto, or trying a different brand of Ammo, needs to try to load and fire the new ammo from the magazines used, and any new magazines should be tried with any ammo to be used before assuming everything will work properly.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Rancher Will said:
It is obvious that anyone purchasing any new magazines for a Colt 45 Auto, or trying a different brand of Ammo, needs to try to load and fire the new ammo from the magazines used, and any new magazines should be tried with any ammo to be used before assuming everything will work properly.
This used to be in the Boy Scout Manual, right after "Don't Eat Yellow Snow." :wink:

gunzo

Buckeye
Well, yeah. Check any brand, anytime, something gets changed.

And FWIW, a 1911 of that vintage wasn't designed or made to be used with anything but ball in the first place. The fact it does on occasion is just luck.

TJ11

Single-Sixer
Use only Wilson magazines only then look to the feed ramp as the problem with anything but ball.

Let me ask what is wrong with 230g ball.

It has served well for 100 pus years. I carried the 1911 Colt in arms way for two years and it served me well.

Good luck

Bull Barrel

Hunter
I have a Citadel 1911 that didn't feed properly with the factory mag. Got a Wilson mag and it eats anything I put in it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
gunzo said:
Well, yeah. Check any brand, anytime, something gets changed.

And FWIW, a 1911 of that vintage wasn't designed or made to be used with anything but ball in the first place. The fact it does on occasion is just luck.
Agreed. A competent gunsmith can tune your feed ramp and barrel throat in just minutes to feed just about anything. Might not hurt to tune up your extractor, too.

deserttrans

Buckeye
I agree, check the followers before you purchase new mags. Many now are specific to ammo. i.e. wad cutters, ball and hollow points. You have to fit the ammo and the mag to the pistol and the intended use.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I dont shoot my few 1911's much.... but I have mostly wilson and devel mags. They all function perfectly.
However all my colt factory mags let go at the base plate, dumping my ammo on the ground. One day I may repair them....

Latest posts