Cheap cleaning kit, bad?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
blume357":3fzownh0 said:
#1 on the bore snake.

With that said, I'll usually run one through my barrel every so often whether they need it or not... I actually think you get more gunk in the barrel from it laying around and dust floating in than when shooting it.

I am a fan of Bore Snakes, too. I have a brass rod of appropriate length and diameter for stuck cases. :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
It's not the brass or aluminum that supposedly damages the barrel steel, it's dirt and grit that can become embedded in them, turning the thing into an abrasive. I'd think that keeping the rod clean would obviate that problem.

All of this on a 22lr kind of falls back on the instructions for a Marlin model 60... I believe they said don't clean the barrel.

Yes, I know it needs to be swabbed to one degree or another but if anything like dirt or grit is going to mess up your barrel it's going to take a lot of cleaning to do it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I don't clean ANY of my .22LR rifle bores anymore--I make it a point NOT to--with the exception of my AR that I run the M261 conversion in. That one gets brushed out and then a couple rounds of 5.56 shot through to clean out the gas system every 1000 rounds or so.

I DO make it a point to swab out the chambers of most of my semiauto .22 rifles about every 400-500 rounds or so. On some of them, this is absolutely critical. Others, like my 10/22, don't even need this to keep running 100%.

I clean the bores of my .22 auto handguns at the end of every year, mainly because it's no more trouble to brush out the bore than to try to just clean the chamber.

My .22 DA revolvers (five of them) get their chambers brushed out every 150 rounds, and the extractor star gets cleaned under at the same interval. This is absolutely necessary for proper functioning.

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
Years age I bought an Outers Universal cleaning kit with brushes and patches and pointy rams to push the patches tru and a couple of barrel mops etc. I have used these parts for years with the multi part cleaning rod so I can fit it in my handguns as well as my rifles and shotguns too. I clean my 22s around every 2-500 rounds or every good day at the range and I clean my rifles which are older WW2 rifles that have corrosive primers every time they are shot no matter how many rounds that is. The shotguns are like the rifles just because I like my guns clean and thats how I was taught soo many years ago by my dad that is what you do. In all those cleanings and all those years I never had a gun stop shooting well from barrel wear, eyes getting older thats another thing but never from cleaning the guns and keeping them lubed. Use quality gun lubes and cleaning solvants, keep the fingerprints off the finish and enjoy a lifetime of shooting.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Snake45":1qjb89u0 said:
It's not the brass or aluminum that supposedly damages the barrel steel, it's dirt and grit that can become embedded in them, turning the thing into an abrasive. I'd think that keeping the rod clean would obviate that problem.

Hi,

I've heard that argument, too. Then, just as soon as some guy says "No aluminum" he'll go and recommend a plastic coated rod... HUH?

I use the drill posted by raw6464: starting w/ a wet patch, I can't say I've ever had anything become embedded in a rod. I 'spose that's one of those things that COULD happen I just haven't seen yet. But I COULD win the lottery, too! I'm not holding my breath about either... ;)

Now, just how much grit and grime builds up in a Bore Snake? That would worry me more than whatever I could get stuck in a metal rod!

Rick C

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I figured out long ago that the cure for a dirty cleaning rod was to wipe it off with a paper towel from time to time.

I'll admit it was mostly because I hate getting that crud on my hands, but it made sure it stayed clean. :lol:

Snake45":1da92310 said:
The first thing you need to know is that it is absolutely NOT NECESSARY to clean a .22 rimfire's bore every time it's shot. It's not even desirable to do so. Some very good and experienced .22 shooters only put a rod down their bores every few thousand--or every few tens of thousands of rounds.

It's been said that more .22s have been worn out by cleaning than by shooting and I tend to believe that's true.

I'm sure there will be argument about this here, and that's fine. Everyone has their own way of doing things. But I can tell you that unless you get a bad batch of .22 ammo with no lube and it leads up the bore, or something like that, it will NOT hurt the bore of your rifle to just leave it alone.

Now the action and bolt are another matter. For best functioning and durability, you want to clean the guck out of the action from time to time.

I agree. Shoot more, clean less! :D
Dennis.