Charles Daly Little Sharps?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Charles Daly Little Sharps?

Anybody here have one? What caliber are you shooting and how is the accuracy? How is the fit and finish?

Am basically looking for an opinion on these rifles and if they are worth the money. Nice looking rifles anyway and I am thinking about one.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I've come close to buying one a couple times but something else always jumps in the way - darn impulse buys. Also have a little bit of a hard time seeing them as being worth what the asking prices are. Should I get one though, it'll be a .357 mag model. Have plans for it after that. ;)

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
BlkHawk73":1das9uzv said:
I've come close to buying one a couple times but something else always jumps in the way - darn impulse buys. Also have a little bit of a hard time seeing them as being worth what the asking prices are. Should I get one though, it'll be a .357 mag model. Have plans for it after that. ;)

That darn impulse always seems to be my problem too!! I don't actually know what they sell for in stores but the suggested retail is right up there. I have never even handled one yet but am going to keep my eyes open.

I am looking at the same caliber. If we are on the same page here I...I'm thinking 357 Maximum!! I think that rifle would make a nice companion to the Ruger Maxi. That and at last count I think I have around 1,500 new brass lying around for the maxi and need another mouth to feed!! :D

I have thought about the No.1 and after the beatings I took about reaming out a 357 No.1 I would probably just do a rebarrel using a donor of less value. As far as looks go , for me it is a toss up between the two rifles.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
rugerjunkie":1k6dbnm6 said:
I am looking at the same caliber. If we are on the same page here I...I'm thinking 357 Maximum!! I think that rifle would make a nice companion to the Ruger Maxi. That and at last count I think I have around 1,500 new brass lying around for the maxi and need another mouth to feed!! :D

BINGO! That's exactly my plan should one ever arrive here. Have a H&R handi rifle in max that's an awesome shooter. Have more recently toyed with a Fox Ridge bbl in the max for a T/C - 24" will get some good #'s in the max I'd think.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Is your H&R a factory Max? Or was it a Mag originally? I would like a TC set up also but am not impressed with the way they cut the chamber for the max. How is the Fox Ridge barrel working?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Yes, the H&R is factory - is part of a .357 max/20 gauge package. Haven't gone with the T/C yet - just pondering it. A Competitor is a possibility also.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I love the looks of the Baby Sharps, but I think it is way too expensive. I shoot a bunch of 45 Clot ammo and would love to try it. I wonder if it is stout enough to be reamed out to 454 Casull?
Why are single shot rifles so expensive in general. I can build two AR's for what one of those cost.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Like I said , I have never seen one in person yet but I too really like the looks of the rifle. As far as the expense , I would have to see a real world price to decide. When I start adding up everything to get a TC Encore set up the way I would want it , we aren't talking cheap there either!

I have also toyed around with the idea of using a No.1 and either doing a re-barrel or bore it out. I don't know if something like a 204 could be bored out for such a project but a 1 AB would do the trick for me. The only thing is...it would be nice to have open sights on it.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
I have fired two or three of those, and did a review on one in .45 Colt. details here:

http://www.gunblast.com/CharlesDaly-LittleSharps.htm

Here is my friends daughter with a bison taken with a .45 Colt Little Sharps.

Meg-Buff02.JPG

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Don Lovel":3lcmitax said:
Jeff, do you think it is strong enough for conversion to 454 Casull?

Why bother? Obviously a 45LC is quite sufficient for a 10yo girl to bring down a Buffalo. Hard to believe the same cartridge couldn't be more than adequate for most other game on this continent.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Don Lovel":2rnk90es said:
Jeff, do you think it is strong enough for conversion to 454 Casull?

Using a Keith cast bullet at around 1200 fps, Megan was getting complete penetration on that bison side-to-side. However, the two of those that I fired would both accept a .454 cartridge, and we did fire a bunch of them through that first one. It beat the rifle up pretty badly, and I recommend .45 Colt ammo. The Plus P type loads will kill anything you want to kill, and beat .454 from a handgun barrel.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
rugerjunkie":25u4ppfi said:
I have thought about the No.1 and after the beatings I took about reaming out a 357 No.1 I would probably just do a rebarrel using a donor of less value. As far as looks go , for me it is a toss up between the two rifles.

I don't know much about #1 rifles but I saw that little debate recently and I have to admit to scratching my head a little and just staying out of it. You know what they say about opinions...eeer everybody's got one. To me a #1 in 357mag doesn't make sense, now in 357max or 38-55 now you're talk'in. :shock: :D

...Jimbo

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Thanks for the info Mr.Quinn. Another great write up as always!

Jimbo357mag":3q0z3mt7 said:
rugerjunkie":3q0z3mt7 said:

I don't know much about #1 rifles but I saw that little debate recently and I have to admit to scratching my head a little and just staying out of it. You know what they say about opinions...eeer everybody's got one. To me a #1 in 357mag doesn't make sense, now in 357max or 38-55 now you're talk'in. :shock: :D

...Jimbo

Yeah Jimbo...I don't get it either. I would already have the No.1 in the safe if I could find one at a decent price. Or if my timing were better!! It would be reamed for a maxi too!! :shock: My dream rifle in a Maxi would be a No.1 with sights. So it may happen yet. I could really care less about any "collector value" I would ruin since the next owner more than likely will be getting it from my will. Let the beatings commence!!

There are 38-55 No.1's out there already and as cool as they are...I don't have 1,500+ new brass lying around for the 38-55 or a companion handgun in 38-55 like I do the Maxi!

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
I shot the same rifle jeff brought up for meg to shoot the buffalo and i was impressed. it seemed like a nicely fit and finshed gun. I wouldnt mind one myself in 44 mag.

Belt Fed

Single-Sixer
I have one in 38-55. I have found that the double set triggers are too close together for my average size male fingers. It is hard to use the set trigger, not much room inside the trigger guard.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Well , I scratched the itch I had for a 357 Max in a rifle yesterday. I picked up a Handi Rifle in 357 Mag , 18 3/4" barrel w/sights. Its a stout , heavy little bugger! The barrel is off to get the non-saami Max reaming. No forcing cone in the chamber like Mike Bellm talks about on his site. Should be a fun one when its done!! With the stubby little barrel it looks like the gun is mostly butt stock!!

bcp

Bearcat
I handled one. Nice rifle, but scaled down too far for me. I could barely get a fingertip on the trigger.

Bruce

Latest posts