charger or Mark III for target shooting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bradford

Bearcat
I have big bore guns but want a .22 for target shooting (playing not compition) at the range. Are the accuracys of both of these guns about the same. What about the guns resale value? I was thinking of the Mark III hunter.

americal

Hunter
All I know about is the Charger-- it is great for target shooting :) I have had several serious hand surgeries, the charger is easy on the hands the configuration of grip is friendly-- It has the Bi-pod which really helps I did put A Kidd-- brand match barrel on my charger with A rifle scope, you have to get closer to scope but still comfortable and I can see tiny objects at 100 yds. Kidd barrels are not to expensive were on sale for 100 dollars look on www. rimfirecentral.com a lot of comparison discussed on that forum 8) at 25yd's with kidd finally shooting almost in same hole with federal wal-mart 550 boxed ammo 50yd's still very tight groups Ruger stock barrel good but not like match .920 barrel :shock: I know nothing of MARKIII :oops: look at website I provided hours of discussion on your subject :D Hope you have good results in your decesion take your time :p I also put A Hogue slip on rubber grip that slides on grip it has finger groves it helps--hard to slide on but worth it :wink: Got A trigger job to at 2LB's this is critical to tight groups no matter what barrel :!: :!:

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I have several pistols, including a MKII Comp Target model. But I can't give you any info on the Charger first hand.
I guess it depends upon how serious you want to shoot. Just plain plinking etc, the MK series will offer more diverse options, but he Charger will most likely be a bit more accurate due to mostly using it off a bench or with the bipod.

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
I would get the MK III. I haven't owned a charger and I don't think I ever will. Is it a rifle? Is it a pistol? The Mk III is great for plinking and I have a feeling that it will also hold its value better due to more demand.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I will break with everyone here.

The Charger is a fun gun. I view it as a semi-auto version on a Thompson Center Contender Pistol in 22LR. It is most fun when shot off a bench, or shot while sitting. If I can ever get back state-side durring squirrel season, I plan on trying to take a couple of squirrels with it.

That being said, if you want to spend a day at the range firing hundreds of rounds off hand, then I do not suspect that it would be all that fun for that.

With the above being said, I would go with a nice used Ruger MKII (not MKIII), with the bull barrel (about 5" I believe). I really do not care for some of the new features on the MKIII.

The MKII is plenty of fun at the range, plenty accurate, and it is more adaptable. If you like to fish, a MKII is much more comfortable on the hip incase you run into snakes than the Charger is. If you are just out hiking around, the MKII is more comfortable carried than the Charger.

The Charger is really an specialty pistol, while the MKII is really an all purpose pistol.

Charlie

hutchman

Blackhawk
There is a lot of MKIII hate on these forums for some reason. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, but do not be afraid of a MKIII. They are simply a MKII with some safety upgrades. I will not get into a discussion of "lawyer" guns, but I will state that I have a MKIII and it is a tack driver. I only have 300 rounds through it, but it did not have any malfunctions during this time.

If you do not like some of the added safety features of the MKIII, they can be bypassed and you end up with a MKIII that is functionally the same as a MKII. Of course if this is what you want, then it would make sense to me to just find a good MKII.

Just don't be afraid of a MKIII. I wouldn't trade mine......I like it a lot!

And FWIW, I also shoot a MKI. It too is a tack driver and does not have the extra safety features that the MKII has! I wouldn't trade it either.

I also think a Charger would be a hoot to shoot. I bought one today, but have not shot it yet, so no opinions.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
hutchman":1698qv3v said:
There is a lot of MKIII hate on these forums for some reason.

I really do not get it. Just because someone does not care for the added features on a firearm they hate it?

hutchman":1698qv3v said:
If you do not like some of the added safety features of the MKIII, they can be bypassed and you end up with a MKIII that is functionally the same as a MKII.

There are four major changes so far as I can tell

1) Change way magazine is removed. A nice feature, but not a Safety Feature.

2) Loaded chamber indicator. Not really a safety feature. Having it on there does not make the firearm more safe.

3) Internal Lock. Again not a safety feature, just an intigrated ability to lock the gun.

4) Magazine Disconnect. Not a safety feature. Can actually make the fiream less safe. Now a person has to insert a magazine to be able to lower the hammer. It also complicates assembly after take down, as now the magazine must be inserted and removed and inserted and removed to put the thing back together.

Sadly, we are now starting to see reports of problems because of the Loaded round indicator. Seems around 50,000 - 60,000 round of shooting will cause a crack in the reciever around the loaded chamber indicator.

Also, reports have come through from numerous people that the magazine disconnect & internal lock tends to give the MKIII a heavier trigger pull. Apparently the simplest way to fix the trigger is to replace the MKIII hammer with a MKII hammer.

Charlie

I have both the MKIII target and a Charger. I would suggest the MKIII first... it is nothing but a fun pistol to shoot. I have never had a problem with mine and the trigger pull is almost too light and it is factory....

The Charger is a bench shooting cut down rifle... it is really fun to let novices and especially small children shoot. I prefer to just shoot one of my target 10/22s from the bench.

raveneap

Bearcat
Can't comment on the charger except that I have to agree, it appears to be a cut down rifle rather than a pistol. I have the Mark III and can say that it, like all Rugers I own, is built like a tank. Its' only short coming is that it Does Not like Remington Golden ammo. When new mine kept FTF, FTE and I called Ruger. Without asking they said, "You're using Rem Golden, aren't you?" I agreed that I was. They said that the Mark III doesn't like it and to use a better ammo such as CCI. Well, I had a ton of Federal bulk from Walmart and tried that. It loves it. Go figure. If you get the Mark III I think you'll be happy.

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
The mark III will most likely give you some problems. I have shot over 2000 rounds through mine and it has had its fair share of FTF and FTE. I ended up removing the LCI, changing the extractor, and removing the magazine disconnect. It functions pretty well now and I really like the gun, but if you want to avoid all of this, maybe you should consider a Browning buckmark. I hope I can find my hardhat.... I may need some protection from all the rocks people are going to throw for this one :lol:

bradford

Bearcat
I haven't bought either yet but from all the reply's it will be a mark II or III. Probably in stainless and either the bull barrel or slabside. I don't really care for the hunter's flukes. I'm working alot and only have one day a week to shop right now. I have been pricing them on gunsamerica and davidsons.Local dealer has a SS slabside for $479.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
WyoGunner":2vb7jb44 said:
It functions pretty well now and I really like the gun, but if you want to avoid all of this, maybe you should consider a Browning buckmark. I hope I can find my hardhat.... I may need some protection from all the rocks people are going to throw for this one :lol:

I really like the buckmarks myself. I bought my father a Buckmark Camper. Sad thing though. On the Campers, the rear sight base and front sight are now made out of plastic. The plastic rear sight base is apparently easy to break. I bought the metal parts to replace it from Browning, but it cost more than $60.

Charlie

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Leucoandro said:
I really like the buckmarks myself. I bought my father a Buckmark Camper. Sad thing though. On the Campers, the rear sight base and front sight are now made out of plastic. The plastic rear sight base is apparently easy to break. I bought the metal parts to replace it from Browning, but it cost more than $60.

I am really not a fan of all this plastic crap! It is getting progressively harder to find a firearm that doesn't have any in it.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
WyoGunner":25ua1dqt said:
Leucoandro":25ua1dqt said:

I am really not a fan of all this plastic crap! It is getting progressively harder to find a firearm that doesn't have any in it.

From "The Graduate" 1967:
Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Benjamin: Just how do you mean that, sir?

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
tomiswho said:
From "The Graduate" 1967:
Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Benjamin: Just how do you mean that, sir?

I was born in '85. Way over my head :lol:

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Wyo,
The Graduate was a neat movie. The comment about plastic was advice Benjamin was getting to pursue a career in plastics, as that was where the future was headed. Sure was correct!

I got married (the 1st time) in 1967.

mattsbox99

Hunter
WyoGunner":1pll7868 said:
The mark III will most likely give you some problems.

This is simply not true... I own 4 different MKIIIs and have 10-20k rounds through them with no problems whatsoever. I also have a Charger and its a lot of fun and more accurate but heavier. I think it looks really cool too. I had my barrel threaded for use with a suppressor and its even cooler. Its as reliable as a 10/22 and just as accurate.

Ditto Mattsbox... I only have one but have had no problems... yes, every once and a while you will get a stove pipe or a fail to fire... my answer is, it's cheap 22lr ammo...

I've learned we don't call it 'Plastic' any more... it is "High Strength Space Age Polymer" now.