Changing Times - Golden Days

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I know there is no requirement to love every new model. Heck long-time Ruger buyers understand half of Ruger's products (or is it more than half) are removed after a few years or so and then aren't serviced by the company.

JFG, I picked out my 2002 commercial US catalog: Besides colorful, hunting and shooting-related photography I really appreciate, I counted
2 side-by-sides,
33 over-unders!,
10 No. 1 rifles in 25 calibers,
47 bolt-action rifles in almost 30 calibers including a couple of fine-walnut Express rifles,
ten 10-22s in two calibers,
Carbines in 9mm and 40S&W,
9 Mini-14, Ranch and Mini-Thirty rifles in three calibers (plus the 99/44 "Mini-44")
three lever-actions,
four 50 cal. muzzle-loaders,
17 22lr pistols,
28 centerfire semi-auto pistols,
15 big bore DA revolvers in four calibers,
22 DA 38/357 revolvers,
10 Bisleys, Bearcats, and Old Army revolvers,
almost 50 Vaqueros, Bisley-Vaqueros, SIngle-Six guns in 7-8 calibers including birdshead guns,
and 25 Hunter and std. model SA guns in five calibers, plus Convertible models scattered throughout...

By a quick caffeine count I read over 275 models offered. And IMO not a curr in the whole pack. (and back then I'd guess half the number of employees compared to today)
I estimate over half those guns have been cancelled and removed in the dozen or so years since. :oops:

Design Engineering isn't what it used to be and supply chain management is lacking, its all driven by "FF" now (finance-first), and we'll see plain-white catalogs and more and more plastic of course. If you don't like strikers and plastic frames/stocks and media-blast/spray paint taking over as a "finish" - well Ruger may not be your first love in the future...?

OMT - Can anyone recall the years when Ruger published the "magazine-type catalogs"??? I have a couple but thought there were more...

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a pretty complete selection of the Ruger catalogs. I often refer to some for data when questions are asked.
Yes, Ruger has grown, changed, & all. At the latest stockholder meeting it was stated that they have over 2000 employees, and offer a total of nearly 500 different models.
Black plastic & tactical is what the younger generation craves, and as such, we can expect them to sell that if they want to stay in business.
That's ok too, as these youngsters will sell off or trade off their inherited OM Ruger SA's to old guys like me.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
tommygun said:
Trouble is Contender, our audience/perspective buyers continue to shrink thus reducing value.
How can that be when gun sales go up every year. Somebody is buying a lot of guns

radicalrod

Hunter
gtxmonte said:
tommygun said:
Trouble is Contender, our audience/perspective buyers continue to shrink thus reducing value.
How can that be when gun sales go up every year. Somebody is buying a lot of guns

Not many younger people buying SINGLE ACTIONS...not enough plastic for them....RR

contender said:
I have a pretty complete selection of the Ruger catalogs. I often refer to some for data when questions are asked.
Yes, Ruger has grown, changed, & all. At the latest stockholder meeting it was stated that they have over 2000 employees, and offer a total of nearly 500 different models.
Black plastic & tactical is what the younger generation craves, and as such, we can expect them to sell that if they want to stay in business.
That's ok too, as these youngsters will sell off or trade off their inherited OM Ruger SA's to old guys like me.
I would like to see that happen and see some Old Bearcats surface. ..if RR and Sam don't get to them first.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I agree, that unless the younger crowd who are currently so enamored of plastic and stainless or matte black steel somehow come around to the older aesthetic (i.e. old fart wood and metal guns), it would seem that the future market for our cherished rifles and handguns is a rapidly shrinking one.

But I don't see that stopping many of us from continuing to pursue these things . . . . . .;-)

contender

Ruger Guru
With the younger crowd buying plastic & such, I call it a buyer rich market. That's when to invest. And, as these same "kids" age, they will get their interest peaked a bit, and suddenly find that our "old" stuff is quite good. And, of course, once they age, many of them will have more disposable income, and will pay more for such good stuff.
I guess I just have faith in the system.

tommygun

Single-Sixer
Just proved the point. We are ole guys rambling about the good old days and not able to focus :lol: :lol: :lol: There was a magazine type in 2005. I guess I am not sure what you mean by magazine type and Contender should be a good source for that info!

radicalrod

Hunter
MAGAZINES have SPRINGS....CLIPS do NOT.....got that drilled into my brain on another FORUM...

Don't know the answer on your "magazine" question....RR

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
This thread is moving along at a pretty good clip.
The only magazine I have contains smokeless powder.

Not sure what a "magazine catalog" looks like versus a regular catalog. I have some that are thicker than others, if that's the difference.

contender

Ruger Guru
The magazine catalogs were in 2005, 2006 & 2007 as I recall. I'd have to get into my man cave to double check things.
Edit; I just checked,,, in addition to the above years, add 2008 for a magazine catalog.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
tommygun said:

Trouble is tommygun is ppl put more emphasis on the monetary value that the value of ones satisfaction of ownership. Ppl are all worried about the $ worth of their items yet don't consider the same for the manufacturer. Business 101 = make profits. To do that, they need to offer what the market supports.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have a lot of trouble with the premise that newer gun owners (who don't buy used revolvers and finer rifles) will in any way benefit the hoarders - er... collectors of finer, older firearms at all. ;) I call mythology here... YMMV.

Universal rules apply here:
Buying NEW guns keeps factories running.
Buying private property (used guns) creates nothing really, aside from an insignificant industry percentage of spare parts (which almost no firearms manufacturer even offers anymore...). Custom gunsmiths get some business from each but in actuality not a percentage that would keep any factory open.

I still buy new, I just don't pay retail! :D I do buy firearm-maker stock. (Ruger went up over five bucks in the last two days...)