CFE Pistol Powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
I switched to this powder for 9 MM and 45 ACP loads when I was unable to find any Unique that I've used for years. So far, I'm extremely pleased with my results using CFE-Pistol powder. It is extremely clean, meters very well, and has been accurate in both calibers using both lead and jacketed bullets. I did notice that on the Hodgdon reloading website that CFE-Pistol powder gives some of the highest velocities and much lower pressure using jacketed bullets in many autoloaders, but I haven't attempted to push my loads that fast. To recap, I like this powder! :)

loaded round~
I really appreciate your feedback! Pistol powder is still pretty scarce here in "No Man's" land and recently saw a couple of small containers of CFE Pistol Powder at Big Rs for $24.95. I might try a bottle and see how it works in .357 and .38 Special using the Hogdon data.
Thank you,

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I also have not used it in the calibers that you are asking about but I can say that is a very linear powder, meaning that it has a nice sized window in load weights and .2gr at mid level loading will be pretty much the same increase in velocity as adding .2gr at a higher level in loadings. The powder seems to burn cleanly through it's full load spectrum, no issues with unburned powder at lower levels that I have noticed, but I do tend to load from mid to high levels. It has a slightly stronger recoil impulse than some other and faster powders that I use at equal velocities. It's a very nice powder. It's funny, it could probably replace three or four other powders that I use with it but once you like something, you kinda marry it.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Pistolero said:
loaded round~
I really appreciate your feedback! Pistol powder is still pretty scarce here in "No Man's" land and recently saw a couple of small containers of CFE Pistol Powder at Big Rs for $24.95. I might try a bottle and see how it works in .357 and .38 Special using the Hogdon data.
Thank you,

Actually in many aspects it reminds me of Power Pistol as far as usage. Not as much flash but very similar wide windows with full burns. You'll like it.

I'm hoping to load up some 158gn +P 38 Special, 230 gn LRN 45ACP, and some 270gn 45 Colt bullets with it this month and give it a try. I picked up a pound or two as I couldn't get Unique or 2400, and the next week I found some more Unique. But, I'm interested in finding out how well this new stuff works.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
I use CFE Pistol with Hi-Tek coated cast bullets in 9mm, 45acp, 44 special, 44 magnum and 45 Colt.
It is a great powder. I don't have a chronograph, but there can't be too much wrong with loads that shoot so good.

I don't know about the carbon fouling eraser part, because I shoot cast bullets.
I get great accuracy in all the calibers I mentioned.

The only "concern" I have is that it doesn't take up much space in the case, especially in the 44 magnum and 45 Colt.
Even though it is a slower burning powder with a burn rate similar to HS-6 and Winchester Auto Comp.

It is definitely worth a try.

Pistolero:
Hey! Thanks for asking! I just bought a pound, $23 at Cabelas. I was looking for something for .327. I see Hodgdon has loading data on it for 38, 357 AND 327. These are the three calibers I load for, so I am definitely interested to see how it meters.

I was using H110 and Win 296, both meter great. But I ran out and as I couldn't find any more switched to HP38 for the .327. How terrible. Not good accuracy and horrible to meter in .327 quantities (around 5 grains).

SO, long story short, I just walked in the door with my pound. I'm going to go out to my garage and see how it meters for the .327. I'll let you know.

Here is an article I just found on the CFE powder. I'm glad to see it's liked here on the Rugerforum, this article seemed to like it also.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/fast-look-hodgdon-cfe-pistol-powder/

Clovishound

Blackhawk
IME it meters well. Finished up a pound earlier this year, and was quite happy with it. I'm using Titegroup right now, because that is what I was able to get at a decent price, and it works well for what I load for. Local store had CFE at a good price the other day, passed on it, because I had a fair amount of powder on hand. Hopefully they will have it when I start needing to resupply.

It definitely gives higher velocities than it's faster burning friends. Don't know about the anti copper fouling properties, but it might be a plus for certain applications.

Just loaded some test rounds for my .327. CFE 5.9 grains with 100 grain cast. It did meter out very nicely. So far I like it. It will be a week or so with Thanksgiving before I can make it to the range though. Might go buy another pound tomorrow, if it's as accurate as people here say.

Rclark

Hunter
I just picked up a pound of CFE Pistol. First loads will be .44 Special as that is what I have on my bench right now. See how it goes working up a load with this powder.

Rclark

Hunter
Yep, I know that... All I shoot is lead ... But I want to see how it performs. A pound of it should tell me a lot for most of the cartridges I reload for. That way, I will know if I have any useful (or not) loads with this powder when this is the only powder I find on the shelf down the road :) . As in the past, my favorite powders aren't on the shelf (still are not actually). Good to have known accurate loads available for different powders that work in my guns.

Rclark

Hunter
This weekend I plan to test a few loads. I would like to mention that CFE Pistol meters very well for me. Hopefully it will shoot as well as it meters! I loaded 75 .44Special test loads (5 sets of 15).