Cell Phone Question SOLVED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My cell phone provider notified me that I had to get a new phone because my Iphone 5S works on 3G and they were no longer supplying 3G service. So, I purchased an Iphone SE.

When I got the new phone it set up itself from the old phone sitting beside it. I thought everything was good. I was receiving emails from my router on my desktop comp. Since a cell phone doesn't work at my residence, I took the new phone to town with me today. The phone did not work, it just kept saying "no service" no matter where I was. At one spot, I was like a half a block from a cell tower.

When I ordered the phone, I told them it was to take place of my old Iphone 5S. So, I figured it would work with the same number as I had on my old phone. So, now I've got two phones supposedly set up to receive calls at the same number.

But, as I said the new phone will not pick up service anywhere. Anyone know what I have to do to get it to work. The old phone will still pick up service if I go a little way from my place but the new phone will not.

Anyone have any idea what I have to do to make my new phone pick up service?

I got a 100 page manual for the new Iphone SE but it says nothing about setting up a new phone to replace the old one at the same phone number.

OK, so I'm a dummy. I looked through the material they sent with the new phone and found something that I missed. On one of the cards it said to activate the new phone I had to go to MyConsumerCellular.com. I went to that site and there was an button that said ACTIVATE. I had to turn OFF both phones and click that link. That did it. It deactivated my old phone and activate the new one. Nothing further to do. As I said, I'm a dummy.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
or find a teenager

or anyone over the age of 8
When I was forced into the phart phone, I asked older Son about the various features that would help/hinder my use of the demonic device. He went through so many +/- features that I got lost and finally just told him to suggest iPhone or Android. Seems I'm the only person in the agency working at my level who uses an Android phone.

Depending on your carrier the phone either came with a new SIM card or you’ll need to transfer the SIM card from the old phone to the new one. If you use the card from the old phone you’ll have cell service immediately, if you use a new card you’ll need to have it activated either by calling your provider or doing it online. Your phone should have come with a little paper clip looking tool that opens the SIM tray in both phones, if not a small paper clip will work. Always power down the phones when removing or installing a SIM card.

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-203379/

Captain America said:
Depending on your carrier the phone either came with a new SIM card or you’ll need to transfer the SIM card from the old phone to the new one. If you use the card from the old phone you’ll have cell service immediately, if you use a new card you’ll need to have it activated either by calling your provider or doing it online. Your phone should have come with a little paper clip looking tool that opens the SIM tray in both phones, if not a small paper clip will work. Always power down the phones when removing or installing a SIM card.

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-203379/

That sounds logical but you would have thought they would have some instruction that comes with the new phone to tell a person that. There is a Verizon store in town so I will take both phones there tomorrow.

Thanks Guys

chm270 said:
Your new phone wasn't set up right. No way you should have two phones with the same number.

Obviously that's true. But, they needed to know that you have received the new phone before they deactivate the old one, which is exactly what they did when I clicked that link on their website. So, the only screw up was me not reading that bit of info on the leaflets that came with my new phone.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I changed the SIM card in my phone recently, and I managed to do it myself.

It was to switch it to 5G, and I followed the directions by lock step. I can't even remember all of the steps, I just followed the commands.

And that is what the teenagers do as well. And it makes them look like wizards. But, I wonder if they can find their way across town without a GPS.

Latest posts