CCI Quiet vs Ruger MK III 22/45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Ever since the CCI Quiet .22 rimfire ammunition appeared on the scene, I've been trying to get that ammunition to function properly in a Ruger Mark pistol. The CCI Quiet ammunition operates at 720 FPS from a rifle barrel and recorded velocities amounted to around 575 FPS out of my Ruger Mark III 22/45 as recorded over an Oehler 35P chronograph. I picked my Ruger Mark III 22/45 RP, mainly because it has a threaded barrel, and I wanted to test the CCI Quiet suppressed. As time allowed, I kept playing around with butchering up a spare bolt in an attempt to get the bolt lighter by drilling holes and milling off metal. Bolt mass is a BIG part of the equation, and in the back of my memory I remembered a "kit" that Volquartsen put out several seasons ago that allowed bullseye shooters to successfully use .22 Short ammunition in the Ruger Mark pistols. I contacted Volquartsen with the hope that maybe they still had one of those kits languishing on a dusty shelf in a dark corner of the inventory area. No such luck, but a return email from Nic Volquartsen informed me that they were currently working on a project that would allow the use of CCI Quiet .22 rimfire ammunition in one of their "Scorpion" model pistols. I was sent that exact kit to test, and use, with my Ruger Mark III 22/45, suppressed and unsuppressed.

From what was tested in the Scorpion, and now the Ruger Mark III 22/45, 2000 rounds of CCI Quiet have been fired using this kit. I only had one failure to fully extract a spent case as the chamber was getting a bit dirty. I cleaned the chamber with a cotton swab and some EEZOX and got back to shooting and smiling. Suppressed, the CCI Quiet ammunition didn't require the use of muffs and the Ruger Mark III 22/45 chugged along just fine.

From the information I received, and also passed along to Volquartsen, there will be an email BLITZ this week or next, involving the availability of this kit and its specific use with CCI Quiet. I know, this kit is probably not for everybody, but there are those who wish to shoot CCI Quiet ammunition (when and if it can be found) out of their 22/45 pistols. For those folks, now you know that it's possible.

james r jr

Single-Sixer
Thanks for this info. I guess this would work in a regular stainless MKIII as well. How did the CCI Quiets sound not suppressed?

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
james r jr said:
Thanks for this info. I guess this would work in a regular stainless MKIII as well. How did the CCI Quiets sound not suppressed?

No, not at this point. Only the 22/45 pistols, because there's a need to change the bolt stop assembly. The correct one is included with the kit, but I suppose things could change in the future. The CCI Quiets weren't that bad out of the pistol, but it is still only 4-1/2 inches long and although I did shoot five rounds without muffs, the noise was still loud enough to warrant wearing muffs. The whole idea behind this was to get the CCI Quiet to fully function from the Rugers, and now, with a bolt weighing less than half of what the "steel" bolt weighs, these rounds function just fine. I'm hoping that Volquartsen considers producing a kit for the Ruger Mark II & III pistols in the future.

james r jr

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the reply. I bet your set up is super quiet. I'll have to visit VQ'S website to keep an eye on this new development.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
I'd like to see if this system operates with Remington C-Bee ammo. This is good stuff for shooting things other than paper.

Nope, it doesn't, I tried those. Because the CB's are 0.116-inch shorter, either a "special" magazine, or a spacer behind the follower, would need to be fashioned to get the shorter rounds to feed into the chamber.

jjas

Single-Sixer
Are these CBees too short as well?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/493999/remington-cbee-ammunition-22-long-rifle-33-grain-hollow-point-subsonic-box-of-100?cm_vc=ProductFinding

"Because the CB's are 0.116-inch shorter, either a "special" magazine, or a spacer behind the follower, would need to be fashioned to get the shorter rounds to feed into the chamber."

We must be looking at different C-Bee ammo. I just compared the "C-Bee 22 long rifle hollow point" (product #CB-22L100) to 5 other 22LR rounds of various makers and the cases are the SAME LENGTH and the OAL is similar. This ammo feeds through the magazines of 10-22 and 22/45 but doesn't have the umph to function either semi-auto.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
"Because the CB's are 0.116-inch shorter, either a "special" magazine, or a spacer behind the follower, would need to be fashioned to get the shorter rounds to feed into the chamber."

We must be looking at different C-Bee ammo. I just compared the "C-Bee 22 long rifle hollow point" (product #CB-22L100) to 5 other 22LR rounds of various makers and the cases are the SAME LENGTH and the OAL is similar. This ammo feeds through the magazines of 10-22 and 22/45 but doesn't have the umph to function either semi-auto.

Must be. The picture above does NOT show a hollow point bullet, and it's pretty obvious that it's shorter on O.A.L.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:

I went to Midway's web-site to order some of those CB's. Temporarily outof stock. I will get some of those to try though, when I can find 'em.

I found them to be the most accurate low noise ammo out of my 5.5" 22/45(open muzzle). They turn the 22/45 into a manually operated magazine fed but that's fine on the trapline. I think we ran some through the 22/45 LITE w/can but don't remember if it cycled or not.