CCI Blazer 38 grain in my 22/45s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
AAMyNRpl.jpg

I recently bough a few boxes of the 39 grain Blazers from our local WalMart. Ammo is hard to find. I normally shoot 40 grain Blazers so I thought the 38s would work as well. I was wrong.

In my Black Mamba I get at least 4 jams per 100 rounds. Not bad for practice but definitely not good enough for my Steel Challenge Matches.

Funny thing is that the 38 grainers work great in my Mark IV 22/45 using the same magazines so it's not a magazine problem.

I'll start bringing a box of it to go with my backup gun just in case I nned to change guns out during my Steel Challenge shooting.

gunzo

Hunter
40 grain Blazer has a good reputation in the price range it's in during a normal market. I bought a few boxes to test & was pleased.
During my research on these, I read, many times, many places, that the 38 grain Blazer WAS NOT on par to the 40, & to stay away. It's thought of as the Rem. Thunderbolt of 22's, about as bad a it it gets. CCI should give the 38 gr another name as go not smear the good name of the 40 gr.

recumbent

Buckeye
40 grain blazer gives me acceptable accuracy for everyday practice in my Ruger precision rifle.
I bought a couple of boxes of the 38 grain blazers and accuracy is no where near as good as the 40 grn.

I'm glad you found some ammo that works in your gun. I am a bit surprised you found Blazer to be the most accurate.

I have a Smith and Wesson 41. When I first bought it, only CCI would cycle consistently, then it started to jam 4 out of 10 rounds, no matter the ammo or magazine. After a few trips to two different gunsmiths, I finally sent it back to Smith and Wesson. The slide wasn't squared to the breech face. A new slide and it will shoot anything.

I don't think I've ever tried Blazer ammo. I actually don't see it on shelves down here, well, during 'normal' times anyway.