CC vs cash in restaurants in your area?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Jim,, it's funny you mentioned the old cash registers, (like the one pictured after your post.)
I'll never forget,, back in 1978,, our restaurant burned down. In 1979,, Dad & Mom opened a convenience store in a different building they owned. Dad found an old hand operated cash register somewhere. In 1986,, they sold the store,, but took a second note so the buyers could purchase it. After a few years,, they defaulted and Dad & Mom assumed their first loan, and re-opened the store.

One thing missing,, was the old cash register.

Mom wanted a hand machine like she'd had for decades. We looked,, but didn't have time to truly find one. So,, we got an electronic cash register. It was a "basic" type. Mom learned to use it,, but didn't like it. She had us looking for a "real" cash register. My brother found one,, and she bought it.
When the electronic one decided to give her problems,, she got out the old one. It worked just fine. But due to a few features we needed,, we did finally get another electronic cash register. However,, whenever the power would go out or whatever,, we had the manual machine.
And we had the 'kerchunka" CC machine,, and carbon copies of receipts etc.
When we sold the store for the second time in 2005,, Mom took the old cash register home with her.
When she passed,, it was one of the things we kids decided to sell.

Yep Jim,, I do easily remember these machines.

And back to paying for stuff in cash.
Just yesterday,, I needed some materials for an upcoming job. I stopped in a log cabin supply warehouse/store. Much of their business is via internet. Yet, they do sell directly to customers. This place is out in the country, no signs etc. My bill came to $125.19. I gave the guy a $100 bill, a $50 bill & a $1 bill. And said my change would be $25.19 about as quickly as I gave it to him. He chuckled,, and said; "Here, keep the $1, and I'll just give you back $25."

Using that old manual cash register taught me math quite well.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Jim,, it's funny you mentioned the old cash registers, (like the one pictured after your post.)
I'll never forget,, back in 1978,, our restaurant burned down. In 1979,, Dad & Mom opened a convenience store in a different building they owned. Dad found an old hand operated cash register somewhere. In 1986,, they sold the store,, but took a second note so the buyers could purchase it. After a few years,, they defaulted and Dad & Mom assumed their first loan, and re-opened the store.

One thing missing,, was the old cash register.

Mom wanted a hand machine like she'd had for decades. We looked,, but didn't have time to truly find one. So,, we got an electronic cash register. It was a "basic" type. Mom learned to use it,, but didn't like it. She had us looking for a "real" cash register. My brother found one,, and she bought it.
When the electronic one decided to give her problems,, she got out the old one. It worked just fine. But due to a few features we needed,, we did finally get another electronic cash register. However,, whenever the power would go out or whatever,, we had the manual machine.
And we had the 'kerchunka" CC machine,, and carbon copies of receipts etc.
When we sold the store for the second time in 2005,, Mom took the old cash register home with her.
When she passed,, it was one of the things we kids decided to sell.

Yep Jim,, I do easily remember these machines.

And back to paying for stuff in cash.
Just yesterday,, I needed some materials for an upcoming job. I stopped in a log cabin supply warehouse/store. Much of their business is via internet. Yet, they do sell directly to customers. This place is out in the country, no signs etc. My bill came to $125.19. I gave the guy a $100 bill, a $50 bill & a $1 bill. And said my change would be $25.19 about as quickly as I gave it to him. He chuckled,, and said; "Here, keep the $1, and I'll just give you back $25."

Using that old manual cash register taught me math quite well.

SORRY Ty, but I'm gonna have to give you a D- on that math.
$151.00
- $ 125.19

langenc

Single-Sixer
When Im about 3 deep back from the cashier and another shopper gets in line behind me I usually tell em,
"this is the slow line, cause Im in it."

moparclan

Bearcat
My favorite Mexican restaurant (40+years) has started charging 4% now for non cash purchases. And recommended tips on receipt too. Time to move one. Don't purchase items on Gunbroker that charge to use a card anymore either.

My favorite Mexican restaurant (40+years) has started charging 4% now for non cash purchases. And recommended tips on receipt too. Time to move one. Don't purchase items on Gunbroker that charge to use a card anymore either.
Find a new one that just hides it and penalizes those that pay with cash, at least you'll feel better.

Latest posts