CC vs cash in restaurants in your area?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

57springer

Buckeye
In spite of young folks hating everything old people do, and being disgusted with old people in general, I will continue to pay in cash. That will be my simple vengeance up until I reach the final checkout line.

Simultaneously, I will remain silent when I'm behind a youngster whose credit card is refused, while they search thru their purse to find one or a combination of them that have not yet reached their limits.

Amazing the hate in this country. And amazing, even grocery checkout rage is a real thing.

I 100% agree , cash is still King in my book !

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
The ESSO gas station I worked at way back when (1967-1971) only had a manual cash register with the hand lever on the right hand side. Until it was sold in the early 80's this was the method used although because he was also had a U-Haul franchise U-Haul provided a card reader in the mid 70's to make things "easier". The owner also have "customer accounts" we'd pump the gas, do the work bag up the snacks etc. and write it on their "tab". No one evey failed (that I know of) to come in on payday and pay off their account.
OMG, ESSO, Yes. I worked in one for 5-6 yrs, high school(16) through college, 65-70. We had the old style CC machines that were done by hand, with the carbon papers etc. We did most business 75% in cash. We had at least $500 or more in our pocket at any time, because we did not have time to go back and forth to the safe etc. Each night we closed the shift we easily had $1000 to $1500. A lot of money in those days. I got my first CCW permit working there. We worked the graveyard shift (2 of us)going to school, and on one night one of the attendants was robbed and shot. The boss said no more. We went to see the PA State Police, took tests and we were all carrying from then on. I was 21! My first carry piece was an S&W Model 19, 4in. Those were the days.

eveled

Hunter
I know a lot of folks totally prefer the electronic methods of paying for stuff.

One thing NOT mentioned here,,

What happens when you need something,, and the CC machine,, or the power grid is down?
Need gas? Sorry, no power to pump unless they have a b/u generator. Then if they do have the generator,, payment must be made in cash.
Need food? Electronic cash registers aren't able to work, so it's cash only.

Just yesterday, between jobs,, I swung into a McDonalds for a quick bite. I was going through the drive through. They had some kind of electronic malfunction, and were telling people; "Sorry, we can't sell anything right now, the computers are down." I asked; "Can't you take cash?" I was told they couldn't open the registers.

I went up the road a few miles, hit a Chic-filet, and enjoyed a better sandwich anyway. Plus better service. I paid in cash. And my service was very fast & properly handled.

Anything mechanical or operated by power can & will go down sooner or later. Having the ability to work around such problems can & does separate the prepared vs the dependents.

And as mentioned above,, electronic payment stuff is always at risk of getting hacked, info stolen, money stolen etc. Using cash,,, it's hard to get your personal info or lose money vs electronic theft.
But I'll say it again,, Big Brother wants to know EVERYTHING you have & how much money & such. It's all about taxes & control. A cashless society is their goal. Then Big Brother will have complete control.
Until recently the smart retailers had a “kerchunka” machine handy to manually process credit cards the old way.

Has anyone noticed the cards no longer have the raised numbers?

Rockrat75

Bearcat
Discount for cash, but not a CC. Don't use CC's in restaurants anyhow. If I go in and they don't take cash, I go elsewhere

Someone previously questioned if age and location has any factor in cash vs CC use. It does make you wonder if those who insist on using cash are older. Hmmm.

I just did a quick Google search about a cashless society. If the government wants to go cashless. There seems to be a lot of reasons to go cashless. But I really doubt it would happen world wide, which would make it impossible for just one country to do so. Otherwise, I can’t comment on the pro’s / con’s on cash vs. cashless.

57springer

Buckeye
Checks have also become largely electronic. As soon as the check is entered into the system at the time of purchase, the money is paid to the merchant, no different than using a debit card.
This is what our local general store owner has told me . He says its just as safe as cash .

Latest posts